Disassemble Duravent chimney for cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBS

Jan 7, 2014
Central NM
Hi Guys

I'm new here and to wood stoves. Recently had a Jotul JT50 Rangley installed. I've been using it for about a month now and would like to inspect/clean the chimney. The chimney is in the middle of of the roof. The roof isn't very steep (easy to stand on). Above the roof there are two 36" section of Duraplus HTC. The chimney cap is about 8" above my head. Can I remove the top 36" section for cleaning? That would put the top about waist high, rather than try to build some kind of platform/ladder thing to get all the way to the top.
I guess the real question is will I damage the pipe if the top section is removed and reinstalled a couple times a season? It looks as though it would just be 4 screws and Duravents twist lock setup.

Thanks
Dave

I don't see a problem with doing what you want, but I think I would put a witness mark on the next section down or on the storm collar (or BOTH) to make sure when you twist the top section, you don't inadvertently disengage the next one down...

I don't see a problem with doing what you want, but I think I would put a witness mark on the next section down or on the storm collar (or BOTH) to make sure when you twist the top section, you don't inadvertently disengage the next one down...
good point.....taking them apart shouldn't hurt at all.....plus you can shine a light down the chimney and get a good look before you brush to get a good idea on how you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.