Disconnected the FV today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Figures it would be a cold morning too. The PH is on the way in this evening - ended up having movers bring it in as I don't want a repeat of the experience getting the FV up the stairs. Given that we have to get the FV down the stairs and across town AND the PH is even heavier.

Anyway - had to run the oil heat this morning. Sad really - kids were disappointed to not have a fire but I didn't want to risk having hot embers in the move so I didn't light up since Saturday to be sure it was all cold.

I will have the sweep officially install it on Monday (when I"m out of town, arg!) and it should have passed town inspection by time I return so first fire is about 10 days away for me. Wife MIGHT decide to do it herself but somehow I doubt it.

I wonder if we'll have a sudden cold snap now?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That rare October blizzard might come up the coast now that you don't have a stove.

But, the PV once going will make the world right again :)
Rare? We've had two October snow storms in the last two years. I lost three trees to the last one.

I know how you must be looking forward to a warm winter with that stove. You're going to love it. I'd advise reading Waulie's post about the PH carefully (as well as all the others in your spare time) because he gives good advice about building your fires in this stove. But, believe me, you'll have no problem, having had a Fireview before. The PH is easier. Just when it is brand new be careful to not give too much air for too long. This stove doesn't take nearly as long as the Fireview to get a good fire going, at least in my install. Glad you have the stove, and will be looking forward to seeing your install posts, as well as your posts re experiences with the stove this winter.

You are lucky too...now that they have replaced the original iconal screen with a great appearing design, you won't have the one headache most of us earlier purchasers had, the original screen.
So, I truely would anticipate smooth sailing for you with the PH.

Enjoy!

Glad you got the new stove Slow1. As for that sudden cooler weather, it does not look to be within the next week or so. Really warm here as this is the second 70 degree day we've had in a week. More rain on the way for us tonight.

Eric:

Sounds like you already sold the FV! Good to hear you found some movers - I had a heck of a time finding anybody crazy enough to move that beast up my walkway. I can't imagine climbing a staircase with it. Whatever it cost, it's worth it!!

Break her in the Dennis way - 3 small fires then let her rip. Here is a link to Dennis' old thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/break-in-fires-for-woodstock-progress-and-fireview.78352/

I love the new search feature on this site, it works great - I found that old thread on the first try!

Reactions: au2183
Well, it is on the hearth! Pictures attached.

Spent the evening futzing about getting the ash pan installed as well as the rear shield etc. I am going to have to place a call in to WS tomorrow though as it seems the bolts for the ash lip are too short or I'm doing something wrong here. I see where they go but I can only barely thread them. Anyway - enjoy the pics and think of those 3 guys who hauled the FV down and the PH UP those steps!

Fireview ready to head out....

CIMG5534.JPG

The LONG stairway up the deck (ramp helped take out the first 8-10 steps)....

CIMG5537.JPG

Finally the Progress in place....

CIMG5540.JPG

Dear god, as a professional stove juggler, those stairs make me want to curse just looking at them.

Reactions: dylskee
Congrats! The PH looks great! I don't blame you for hiring someone else to move all that weight.

Those two pictures (before and after) make one appreciate how much bigger the PH is. The Fireview makes your hearth pad look large, the PH, not so much! Very nice looking.

Congratulations! Looks fantastic on your hearth. You were smart to hire the movers, I wouldn't want to try to move that stove up a flight of stairs. Definitely money well spent.

Congratulations Slow1.

Awesome! Looks like it belongs there. You are smarter than I as I moved mine myself with help from my dad. Luckily, I only had a few steps. Unluckily, his came a couple weeks later and I have been passed by mountain goats while climbing his stairs. :mad: Had to move the Progress up, then after that fun, we had to move what might be the only freestanding stove that actually weighs more than the Progress down. It sucked hard, but was totally worth it! Enjoy!

That's scary Waulie. Seems I remember you posting about that.

Well, it is on the hearth! Pictures attached.

Spent the evening futzing about getting the ash pan installed as well as the rear shield etc. I am going to have to place a call in to WS tomorrow though as it seems the bolts for the ash lip are too short or I'm doing something wrong here. I see where they go but I can only barely thread them. Anyway - enjoy the pics and think of those 3 guys who hauled the FV down and the PH UP those steps!

Fireview ready to head out....

View attachment 77691

The LONG stairway up the deck (ramp helped take out the first 8-10 steps)....

View attachment 77692

Finally the Progress in place....

View attachment 77693

Nice! I had the same problem with the ash lip bolts. Left one especially. Finally had to ask chimney sweep to do that one. So, if you find out any tips, please pass along. Good luck.

Wish I could help with the bolts, but I honestly don't even remember doing it. ;em

I wonder if we'll have a sudden cold snap now?

Great stove Slow1! What was wrong with your fireview? And it looks like the next week is going to be pretty mild so I think you're safe, but this is New England so.............

Well, I solved the ash lip bolt problem - went out and bought a pair of bolts that are 1/4" longer (on way home from dropping kids at school - love old fashioned hardware stores) and tada! no problem. Best $0.32 ever invested, ha!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had this problem although I do wonder why it is - seems WS is pretty good at the details and this is not a difficult one. Perhaps there is more than one way to seat the ash lip in there and we're doing it the 'wrong' way? In any case, I did speak to them today and let them know of the issue and I expect they will follow up on it as they generally do...

Now I have the whole thing put together and ready for the sweep to do the final connection and the permitting inspection etc while I'm out of town. I wonder if it will take me more than 30 minutes to have that first break-in fire burning after I get home :) .

I have to say that at first look the design of the ash drawer and its cover appears to be very good. I will have to see how well it does in practice but it appears that I'll be able to slip the cover on before removing the ashes and then take the drawer out with it fully covered. If this is indeed the case then I can see carrying it outside to dump and never have to deal with ash dust clouds in the house again. This is even better than the cover design that my first stove (the Encore NC) had. Time will tell how it actually works in practice of course. Only down side is that I do have to walk quite the distance to get outside at ground level to dump - can't exactly go dumping hot ashes on the deck eh? However I am hopeful that this will not be too frequent given the size of this thing - may need an ash can outside with a wider top to facilitate easier dumping though.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Great stove Slow1! What was wrong with your fireview? And it looks like the next week is going to be pretty mild so I think you're safe, but this is New England so.............

I was just heating too much space with it. As apparently happens to many folks, now that we have wood heat the family seems to want to keep the house much warmer than we used to - i.e. closer to 70 than 60 (we used to consider 65 to be on the warm side). So trying to heat 2500? sqft (not 100% sure actually but that is another story) of living area with the FV when it got really cold was just not working as well as I liked. So once I read about the PH I rather figured that spec wise it had the heat output that we could use so here I am.

In a sense the wife is happy enough to heat with oil next week. Although she is willing to manage the stove I think she is going to have her hands quite full with the kids and her work as it is. One less thing to do will be on step farther from insanity for her which is likely better for the family and worth the investment in oil.

I was just heating too much space with it. As apparently happens to many folks, now that we have wood heat the family seems to want to keep the house much warmer than we used to - i.e. closer to 70 than 60 (we used to consider 65 to be on the warm side). So trying to heat 2500? sqft (not 100% sure actually but that is another story) of living area with the FV when it got really cold was just not working as well as I liked. So once I read about the PH I rather figured that spec wise it had the heat output that we could use so here I am.

In a sense the wife is happy enough to heat with oil next week. Although she is willing to manage the stove I think she is going to have her hands quite full with the kids and her work as it is. One less thing to do will be on step farther from insanity for her which is likely better for the family and worth the investment in oil.
I really wish I had more house because I really wanted that PH, beautiful stove! Too much stove for my house though (only 1400 sq.ft.), the fireview will be perfect but we need some cold weather here so I can see what this thing can do........

I really wish I had more house because I really wanted that PH, beautiful stove! Too much stove for my house though (only 1400 sq.ft.), the fireview will be perfect but we need some cold weather here so I can see what this thing can do........
At 1400 sq ft, the Fireview should be perfect and still give you good overnight burns. Do not underestimate the value and convenience of being able to heat your home with a single 2 cu ft stove. Because, even though it is fun to think about grabbing the next size up, it's a different story when you realize you need the next size up three times ;em

Reactions: dylskee
Congrats i bet they had a tough time getting it up those stairs.

Congrats i bet they had a tough time getting it up those stairs.

It certainly was not easy but they did better than I would have. They had uncrated it and removed as much weight as possible - at one point it slipped off the dolly and got exciting but they got it back on and were a bit more careful after that. I could feel the whole deck vibrate with each step though.

The ash drawer works exactly as you envisioned. As you are sliding it out, you are sliding the lid on, so no dust flying around. It does tend to be hot, tho, if you are burning 24/7, so wear heavy gloves and have your exit path planned out and how you are going to open doors on the way. I find I have to empty about every 5 - 7 days, as I recall from last winter, much sooner than they predicted. But I tend to burn thru more wood than most...

The ash drawer works exactly as you envisioned. As you are sliding it out, you are sliding the lid on, so no dust flying around. It does tend to be hot, tho, if you are burning 24/7, so wear heavy gloves and have your exit path planned out and how you are going to open doors on the way. I find I have to empty about every 5 - 7 days, as I recall from last winter, much sooner than they predicted. But I tend to burn thru more wood than most...

How much wood do you burn in a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.