discount for replacement glass from a floor model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2006
I'm heading down this am to pick up replacement glass for my castine and the dealer reports that they were on back order. He's offering me a replacement that he'll take out of a floor model. Should I press for a discount?

I think he is doing what any dealer should do for a customer going above and beyond expectations to solve your problem. And now you think there should be a discount for a new pc of glass. He still has to replace that glass for his showroom stove. The time to take it out of the door and reinstall when the new glass comes in.Think about it he is doing you a favor.

I would demand it, and scream obscenities at him if he refuses.

dvellone said:
I'm heading down this am to pick up replacement glass for my castine and the dealer reports that they were on back order. He's offering me a replacement that he'll take out of a floor model. Should I press for a discount?

I'm not looking for something for nothing, and I'm generally not the type to even ask for discounts, but my glass broke fr a very gentle bump when the door was swung closed and the door bolt struck the door frame on the stove rather than the gasket hitting the frame. I'm thinking that I'd done this several times and it maybe stressed the glass over time. My concern now is, who is opening and closing the door on the floor model and how many times has the bolt clunked against the frame?

I guess I implied that I'm not appreciative of his effort to offer me the replacement. At 142.00 a pop I must pretty darn unappreciative to consider some kind of discount on the glass for the stove I just paid 1800. for a little over a year ago. Thanks for the insinuating and sarcastic replies Daryl and Slindo.

I would be happy he is glad to take one out of his showroom for you. I wouldn't press for a discount. A local dealer who is there to help you out in times like these is valuble. Even if it was on a burn model, he still needs to pay new model price to get the replacement for his showroom. I'd pay retail and bring the guy some pie.

dvellone said:
I'm not looking for something for nothing, and I'm generally not the type to even ask for discounts, but my glass broke fr a very gentle bump when the door was swung closed and the door bolt struck the door frame on the stove rather than the gasket hitting the frame. I'm thinking that I'd done this several times and it maybe stressed the glass over time. My concern now is, who is opening and closing the door on the floor model and how many times has the bolt clunked against the frame?

I guess I implied that I'm not appreciative of his effort to offer me the replacement. At 142.00 a pop I must pretty darn unappreciative to consider some kind of discount on the glass for the stove I just paid 1800. for a little over a year ago. Thanks for the insinuating and sarcastic replies Daryl and Slindo.

If your concern is about the glass being in new condition check over well make sure all edges are smooth no chips.Look for flaws in the glass itself. when putting the glass back on your door tighten screws in a star pattern and tighten to about the same torque. If the clips touch the glass itself I would use a little pc of flat gasket under the clip. Sorry I sounded sarcastic but your dealer is taking that extra step to make you happy. And that should not go unrewarded.

I picked it up today and installed it tonight. Fire's just getting up to temp right now. Hopefully, this one lasts.

I'm appreciative of my dealer's help and expressed as much. But we've also helped each other - I've spent just under $4000. there between two stoves and chimney, and rather than expecting a discount was wondering here if I should ask for one. Ironically, he mentioned that Jotul isn't very helpful as far as glass goes - he said that if they receive shipments of replacements or a new stove either with broken glass it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to accept any responsibility. He said they lose in terms of glass almost every time. Thanks for the input and sorry if I took comments the wrong way - it hurts to have a $145. expense come out of left field and I might get a bit defensive if I think I'm being accused of being cheap or unappreciative.

dvellone said:
I picked it up today and installed it tonight. Fire's just getting up to temp right now. Hopefully, this one lasts.

I'm appreciative of my dealer's help and expressed as much. But we've also helped each other - I've spent just under $4000. there between two stoves and chimney, and rather than expecting a discount was wondering here if I should ask for one. Ironically, he mentioned that Jotul isn't very helpful as far as glass goes - he said that if they receive shipments of replacements or a new stove either with broken glass it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to accept any responsibility. He said they lose in terms of glass almost every time. Thanks for the input and sorry if I took comments the wrong way - it hurts to have a $145. expense come out of left field and I might get a bit defensive if I think I'm being accused of being cheap or unappreciative.

Hey I read this thread, and you know what? I almost ALWAYS ask retailers to "do better on price" on EVERYTHING I buy, except maybe gas and groceries!

Like you I broke the glass on my Castine 2 years ago and was tickled pink my dealer sold me the glass on a floor model at $125 and he even provided the labor for the installation. (take your door along). Other local stove shops charged much more and the pyroceram places on the net were runnning around $90-$100 but those prices didn't include shipping and you run the risk of delays and/or the company getting the order wrong.

At $145 I think you should be happy and move on and be more careful.

Sounds like a great deal, my dealer wouldn't even consider selling me the glass from the floor model when I asked. He told me he would end up with a showroom full of stoves with missing pieces. i thought to myself that doesn't make sense since I'm ordering the new piece and in 2 weeks you'll have it. He wasn't budging. Just dealt with it and ordered the new piece.

Sounds like a good dealer to me. If the price is fair and you didn't have to wait to get the stove burning again sounds like you both did well on this deal. I ask for a discount any time I think there might be "room" in the price. If I'm getting what I need at a good price I just make the deal.

After working in retail I enjoyed customers that understood that I needed to make a profit too. I would go way above and beyond if the good customer needed help once in awhile, sounds like your dealer is trying to do that for you because you have been a good customer for him.

Good deals are good to Both parties in the long run.

I'm glad you got your glass,

Garett

If you buy a unit from us, & you break something that will prevent it
from being used safely, or if it's a primary heat source, we'll replace it
from a floor model at retail cost. Heck, I've pulled the auger motor out
of our floor model Harman P68 FOUR times this winter, just to keep units
up & running. We don't offer a discount, per se, because we've saved you
the expense of up to a two week lost use time or the cost of repairing burst
pipes due to freezing. Take the floor model glass & be thankful your dealer
was there for you. That's one of the little things that bring customers back &
the word-of-mouth brings new ones in.

Funny how you run into businesses that do a very good job of understanding their own side of the issue, and none at understanding the customers'. I tend to avoid these, since first of all they aren't much help, and secondly, they tend to go out of business quickly so they aren't there when you need them. If my stove was dead and the shop told me that they wouldn't remove parts from floor models since they'd end up with a showroom full of stoves with missing customers, I would be tempted to reply in either of two ways - by adding "but with satisfied, loyal customers instead of angry ones", or point out that if the stoves the shop was selling are that unreliable, or have such poor parts support, I didn't think I would be dealing with him again.

One other odd thing. Over the years, I have been told by a number of vendors for all sorts of products that there would be a long delay in getting parts. Very often, checking with other local dealers, I have found that either there is another dealer not to far away that actually has the parts in stock, or can get them very quickly even though the other one claims they are backordered. On several occasions, when I have questioned the first one, it has turned out that the parts were not really on back order, but the shop just didn't like to special order parts, and was going to let it wait until they sent in their usual monthly order. Or some other equally stupid reason. At that point, if its a stove shop, I usually raise my voice a bit and say LOOK YOU ARE IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING A PRODUCT THAT PEOPLE DEPEND ON TO KEEP THEIR HOUSE WARM AND THEIR PIPES FROM FREEZING. THEY CANNOT WAIT FOR A MONTH OR EVEN A WEEK FOR YOU TO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. IF YOU CAN NOT UNDERSTAND THIS, THEN GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS.

In one instance, the idiot at my local stove shop swore to me that Vermont Castings wouldn't even accept special orders! I called VC direct and they told me of course they would, and that they would even drop ship them direct if I ordered through a shop. They then recommended another shop about an hour away that actually had the part in stock.

glassmanjpf said:
Sounds like a great deal, my dealer wouldn't even consider selling me the glass from the floor model when I asked. He told me he would end up with a showroom full of stoves with missing pieces. i thought to myself that doesn't make sense since I'm ordering the new piece and in 2 weeks you'll have it. He wasn't budging. Just dealt with it and ordered the new piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.