Disgusted with the stove and myself!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
I took the front door off my stove to replace the gaskets around the glass and door. The glass is held down by clips which are screwed into the frame of the door. Start unscrewing one and and the freaking head of the screw popped off! So i don't get to frustrated and move onto the next one same thing again. The screws are rusted. So now i pull out the drill! BAD MOVE ALL AROUND. I drilled right through the door. Needless to say a new door is $135 and all my savings from trying to do this myself down the drain. Lesson learned? Live and learn i guess!

Sorry to hear that, Rory. We all do it. I've done it a million times at my house.

It happens, don't beat yourself up. One little hole is not a show stopper. It will be plugged by the new screw. Get yourself some drill stops and finish the job.

Don't fill bad because on my Avalon Olympic I tried to replace the door handle that was stuck and I pulled out the hammer just to give it a little love tap and broke the door glass. The door already needed a new gasket and handle now glass. It was cheaper to buy a door assembly than all the parts to rebuild the one I had. New door $400.00 ouch.

Man that sucks, why cant we get quality anymore the prices we pay they should last forever.

It happens, don't beat yourself up. One little hole is not a show stopper. It will be plugged by the new screw. Get yourself some drill stops and finish the job.

Will be getting a new door...the clips also chipped the glass so that will be replaced too...just bought this house last september and boy have i been living and learning....house came with a hot tub...if anybody knows anything about hot tubs when the cover gets heavy it is time for a new one...didn't know that when looking at the house ...long story short that was $700!!!! so $135 for the door and $175 for the glass is nothing...LIVE AND LEARN!! Thanks for letting me vent on here also!

Hmm, wait until he gets to the real plumbing, or the roof...windows...flooring...hvac...wiring.... I expect all caps in 36 pt font. Good luck, Rory.

Got to the plumbing already....the outside hose copper pipe busted on me and flooded part of my garage....not having much luck these days...stupid mistakes i guess

I took the front door off my stove to replace the gaskets around the glass and door. The glass is held down by clips which are screwed into the frame of the door. Start unscrewing one and and the freaking head of the screw popped off! So i don't get to frustrated and move onto the next one same thing again. The screws are rusted. So now i pull out the drill! BAD MOVE ALL AROUND. I drilled right through the door. Needless to say a new door is $135 and all my savings from trying to do this myself down the drain. Lesson learned? Live and learn i guess!
Well you could have paid someone else $85 / hour to do the same thing.

Well you could have paid someone else $85 / hour to do the same thing.

Very true! It would have been $185 for a service call. I ordered a new door, glass, and latch assembly and it was $350. At the rate i'm going I should start looking into a new stove! HAHAHAHA

Rory, if I made a list of all the mistakes I made trying to fix things myself and things not going right Id be here all day typing, $350's not too bad for a new door and your problem's solved.

Rory, if I made a list of all the mistakes I made trying to fix things myself and things not going right Id be here all day typing, $350's not too bad for a new door and your problem's solved.

Appreciate everyone's support and feel better that i'm not the only one making dumb moves. Honestly i'm glad i took the door off after thinking more about it becasue the glass was chipped on the edges which i doubt is to safe.

Rory, do not feel bad you are at the beginning of the joy of owning a home. 22 years ago we bought a older home that needed alot of TLC at a good price. HVAC, windows, doors, kitchen rebuild, hardwood floors (especially fun doing yourself), wall removal, bathroom rebuild, tile floors (another fun DIY project), plumbing, roof, redoing roof because of storm damage 1 month after finishing it the first time, mold mediation because of storm damage, water heater rusting out and flooding across all of your nice hardwood floors, and 18 years later wife wants to move to a house that does not require as much maintance because I am no longer healthy enough to do all the work myself.

Move to a new home (house was 2 years old) that due to the economic conditions we got for a great price. Wife wants windows like the ones I put in the other house, replaced all the ceiling fans, HVAC was installed incorrectly so had to replace 1 unit already (builder and HVAC company is bankrupt so "what" warrenty), wife did not like the chandliers so replaced them, wife needed a hot tub so did all the install for it, former owners cracked alot of floor tiles moving out so tear out the tile floor and redo it so it looks right, tirm for hardwood floors was not done correctly so replace it, previous owners left hose connected to outside spiggot with water on froze and busted-replaced. Now I have looked at 3 winters of heating bills and decided that something has to give, so now I am looking at putting in a woodburning something.

So much for moving to a new home where I could rest! lol

The moral of the story is a mans work is never done, you just may get a small break before the next project begins.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Rory, do not feel bad you are at the beginning of the joy of owning a home. 22 years ago we bought a older home that needed alot of TLC at a good price. HVAC, windows, doors, kitchen rebuild, hardwood floors (especially fun doing yourself), wall removal, bathroom rebuild, tile floors (another fun DIY project), plumbing, roof, redoing roof because of storm damage 1 month after finishing it the first time, mold mediation because of storm damage, water heater rusting out and flooding across all of your nice hardwood floors, and 18 years later wife wants to move to a house that does not require as much maintance because I am no longer healthy enough to do all the work myself.

Move to a new home (house was 2 years old) that due to the economic conditions we got for a great price. Wife wants windows like the ones I put in the other house, replaced all the ceiling fans, HVAC was installed incorrectly so had to replace 1 unit already (builder and HVAC company is bankrupt so "what" warrenty), wife did not like the chandliers so replaced them, wife needed a hot tub so did all the install for it, former owners cracked alot of floor tiles moving out so tear out the tile floor and redo it so it looks right, tirm for hardwood floors was not done correctly so replace it, previous owners left hose connected to outside spiggot with water on froze and busted-replaced. Now I have looked at 3 winters of heating bills and decided that something has to give, so now I am looking at putting in a woodburning something.

So much for moving to a new home where I could rest! lol

The moral of the story is a mans work is never done, you just may get a small break before the next project begins.

All i can say is you nailed it on the head! House we bought is in great condition except the items that are due to wear down at some point...ie hot tub cover and parts on stove...the guy who owned the house took great care of it but it's normal wear and tear plus have 3 kids and big St. Bernard living in the house so things get worn out quicker...not complaining at all just venting....have been working 6 days a week for the past 3 months (CPA) and now i have a list a mile long of things to do that needs to get done before we have a party in 3 weeks!!

Kids can be hard on stuff for sure. That's one plus to having a party, You get things done that you probably other wise would put off. There is never a lack of things to fix or replace at my house allthough I hope to have a nice break once I get my current projects done.

Rory when tax season is done set yourself up with a cheap beer and find The Money Pit at the library to watch (don't spend any $ on movies, lol!). You will, um, love it. ;) Sorry about the door.

Hang in there good friend. Like you said we live and we learn. You know where I am if you need a hand with anything. When you get ready for that beer let me know and ill bring a few and have a laugh.

Rory when tax season is done set yourself up with a cheap beer and find The Money Pit at the library to watch (don't spend any $ on movies, lol!). You will, um, love it. ;) Sorry about the door.

I drink miller high life right now (Champagne of beers) and love it! seen that movie many times and it definitely isn't that bad or i hope it won't get to that point.

Hang in there good friend. Like you said we live and we learn. You know where I am if you need a hand with anything. When you get ready for that beer let me know and ill bring a few and have a laugh.

Will definitely call you for a beer!

Don't know if you are old enough, but Sheriff Andy said to Aunt B "Just call the MAN Aunt B, just call the MAN" I never do but sometimes maybe I should ;)

Don't know if you are old enough, but Sheriff Andy said to Aunt B "Just call the MAN Aunt B, just call the MAN" I never do but sometimes maybe I should ;)

Yeah the girlfriend wants to open the pool and she said maybe we should call someone to take care of the filter etc...i said no i got this!

Yeah the girlfriend wants to open the pool and she said maybe we should call someone to take care of the filter etc...i said no i got this!
Just call the MAN Rory, just call the MAN;lol

Not "Mistakes"....they are "Learning Experiences"

Reminds me when I thought that baby proofing was necessary. I purchased a whole lot of magnetic child proof locks and got a new drill bit and on the 2nd or third lock I drilled right through a buffet door. Needless to say I stopped applying any more locks and to this day haven't repaired the hole. No one notices it but I know it's they're and I'm thinking that was the dumbest move not using a drill stop. Oh well . I hope you can repair your door and put it behind you. Have a great day.

Reminds me when I thought that baby proofing was necessary. I purchased a whole lot of magnetic child proof locks and got a new drill bit and on the 2nd or third lock I drilled right through a buffet door. Needless to say I stopped applying any more locks and to this day haven't repaired the hole. No one notices it but I know it's they're and I'm thinking that was the dumbest move not using a drill stop. Oh well . I hope you can repair your door and put it behind you. Have a great day.

That is funny! Have a new door coming

is it a plain black cast iron door? if so after installing the new screw and clip, push a little rutland stove cement in the hole on the outside, heat it up with propane torch until the outside is hardened then gently scrape to mimic the texture, repaint right over the rutland, if its done well you wont even see the repair, the screw will seal the hole anyway so its not a danger.

and when regasketing in the future these 2 tips: first, WD-40 is your friend before and a little spray graphite after to help the screw from reseizing for the next time right before you put the screw back in. and second, never use power tools on door screws always use a wrench to gently minister the screws out.

Status
Not open for further replies.