Dissapointed in New Blaze King King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine.......Blaze King, customer service, Niko speaking!;lol

I don't think he will have a customer service department. This way he don't have to listen to customer complaints.

Reactions: Marshy
Just want to bump this thread back to the top ! ;lol

I would think that any business person who doesn't have a bunch of bankruptcy on his resume has probably been forced to understand that to deal with an upset customer, you need to talk to them. (What's going on? Why aren't you happy? Tell me how we got to this point. What do you want me to do to help?)

Once you understand their point of view, what they feel the situation is, and what they want you to do about it, you check his story with your people and make a business decision.

If you start off all defensive and hostile, you have no opening to point out that he has some responsibility for the situation or negotiate a settlement. If you empathize and be on his side emotionally- even if it's a situation where it's all his fault and you're not going to offer much more than condolences- you are very often making the transaction a lot easier for both parties. Don't leap in and admit liability, but do express sympathy.

I've had a lot of these conversations, and sometimes they are difficult ones. Very often indeed I find that the story is not exactly as it was presented to me initially. I do whatever I can reasonably do for folks, even some that make me want to send them back to kindergarten for remedial socialization. And it turns out that's good for business.

BKVP obviously has this lesson under his belt. If more small businesses did, there'd be more small businesses.

Reactions: tarzan
My family has had a small succesful business for over 30 years. I have run it for the last 10 years. A good name is how you stay in business. I may be more customer oriented then most of you becuase i deal with a lot of people everyday.
Yes but if you google Blaze King Disappointment you are looking for critical reviews of Blaze King. The fact is that this is an open forum and the op has valid complaints about the performance of his stove. It became very clear quickly his issues were not due to the stove but were due to his setup and his operation of the stove. If you look you will find people who are unhappy about any stove that is on the market now. So why is it that Niko only has a problem with complaints about Blaze Kings? If it was about fairness shouldn't he be calling for all criticism of any stove to be pulled from this site?

Come on people come to this site to discuss and get help with their stoves. If we eliminated any negative comments about specific stoves the site would be worthless.

Since your the big man in town and unless you have down this already, how about you rename your name with your business amd promote it on the forum, pay advertising fees to help keep this forum alive and after doing that we will still bash yiu and your business and say your skills are no good. You wouldnt like it that much now would you? its very easy to hide behind some makeshift screenname now isnt it?

You are right. Personally, I find negative reviews very valuable. Sometimes more then positives. You can do your research and form your opinion.

The post title is way off and inaccurate. I feel like im watching the fake news when i read the title posts.

I would think that any business person who doesn't have a bunch of bankruptcy on his resume has probably been forced to understand that to deal with an upset customer, you need to talk to them. (What's going on? Why aren't you happy? Tell me how we got to this point. What do you want me to do to help?)

Once you understand their point of view, what they feel the situation is, and what they want you to do about it, you check his story with your people and make a business decision.

If you start off all defensive and hostile, you have no opening to point out that he has some responsibility for the situation or negotiate a settlement. If you empathize and be on his side emotionally- even if it's a situation where it's all his fault and you're not going to offer much more than condolences- you are very often making the transaction a lot easier for both parties. Don't leap in and admit liability, but do express sympathy.

I've had a lot of these conversations, and sometimes they are difficult ones. Very often indeed I find that the story is not exactly as it was presented to me initially. I do whatever I can reasonably do for folks, even some that make me want to send them back to kindergarten for remedial socialization. And it turns out that's good for business.

BKVP obviously has this lesson under his belt. If more small businesses did, there'd be more small businesses.

Talking one on one, face to face with a customer is one thing, the internet does not work like that at all. It works based on hits, the more a site gets traffic the faster it gets to the top. It does not care if its bad or good. On the interent 100,000+ people browse something at once just from a title on a search engine.

Why do you think all this crap is happening on the news now? Some jackass journalist puts something down on paper that is totaly dishonest and millions of people are drawn to it and beleive it. This type of stuff did not happen back in the days. Or it didnt happen no where near as fast.

The internet can destroy a business.

The post title is fine. It accurately describes the OP's feelings. There have been posts like this for almost all stove companies over the years. No one's gone out of business because folks are expressing their honest feelings. Usually the issue is with the setup, the wood or the stove operation. Occasionally the stove has a defect. Finding out the cause and solution makes the thread educational.

its very easy to hide behind some makeshift screenname now isnt it?
My screen name is my first initial and my last name the same last name that is on the company that my father started 42 years ago and that I now run. So no it is not a make shift name sorry try again.

Since your the big man in town and unless you have down this already, how about you rename your name with your business amd promote it on the forum, pay advertising fees to help keep this forum alive
I don't come here to promote my business I come here to help people with their problems because I enjoy doing that. I also see no reason to advertise on this site when only a very small portion of those who come here are within my service radius. It would be a complete waste of company resources. Not to mention the fact that I don't have a desire to expand much more because it would hurt the relationship I have with my loyal customers.

after doing that we will still bash yiu and your business and say your skills are no good. You wouldnt like it that much now would you?
The problem is that just about everyone here agrees that blaze kings are great stoves. But the original poster has been disappointed with his. That is a fact. BKVP has no problem with it he is not threatened by it why are you?

The internet can destroy a business.
So again should the moderators remove any negative comment about any stove? How would that help anyone? Or should those rules only apply to BK? Do you really think that a few people who are dissapointed in their stoves are going to bring down BK? Give me a break. Do a search for reviews of any product and you are going to find negative ones that is a fact of doing business. There is no way around it. And that small number of bad reviews of a good product do not bring them down sorry.

Niko is very defensive but I see his point. When you google " Blaze King Disappointment" ( and I did this), first thing you can see is this thread. No perspective owner would go trough 20 pages to get to the bottom of this discussion. Someone gonna think this way : " Blaze King .. oh oh, disappointment... oh,oh, big house, not heating well... not my stove..."
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=blaze+king+disappointment
Niko should start thread " Blaze King is the best stove in a whole wide world " to level the field. ;)
Haven't I already done that? ;lol

Bump !

But where did trev go people?

He is a busy man with many responsibilities. I know this because I have talked with him in PM and his engagement on an internet forum takes a back seat to other more important things. I know he is working on the issue. He has talked with someone who has pointed out the code issues (as you guys have) and he is working on determining a solution. I know he is weighing all of his options and needs to figure out the cost for each one. Give him some time.

Do you guys like putting this thread to the top? It does the company no good for someone as negligent as the OP to post such a title.

Its not the stove fault, its his plain and simple. Moderators this thread should be locked. Damage is being done this company name becuae the OP decides to wright before he reads. I have made the same mistake in long posted threads also but i have never bad talked a company before or meant any harm to one or made a ignorant title post.

Rules should be introduced for people like this. You want help fine. Your thread title should be professional, especially when your are at 100 percent at fault. Is this was my company name being thrown around like this, well lets just day it would stop.

Im a business man and i take things like this serious.

My family has had a small succesful business for over 30 years. I have run it for the last 10 years. A good name is how you stay in business. I may be more customer oriented then most of you becuase i deal with a lot of people everyday.

Since your the big man in town and unless you have down this already, how about you rename your name with your business amd promote it on the forum, pay advertising fees to help keep this forum alive and after doing that we will still bash yiu and your business and say your skills are no good. You wouldnt like it that much now would you? its very easy to hide behind some makeshift screenname now isnt it?

The post title is way off and inaccurate. I feel like im watching the fake news when i read the title posts.

Niko, take a step back man. You're on edge and about to jump but you're all by yourself. The OP's dissatisfaction is legit but the contributing cause seems to be less of the stoves fault than the configuration of the system. If anyone decided to look for critical reviews of the stove I hope they find this thread. If they can draw similarities from this thread on how they intend to use the stove they might realize the stove is not ideal for their application. (I wish I looked harder and found a thread like this before I bought mine!) While you view this as BK bashing it is in fact very useful and full of great information. It highlights the need to adhere to all of the manuals requirements and it emphasizes the need to strongly consider implementing the recommendations within the manual as well.

This thread would be 3-4 pages long if it just stuck with the facts.
The thread contains the information to know that the stove is not at fault for the OP's problem. It's not the stove, it's the installation. Trouble is that you have to read 19 pages of stuff to get there.

Yes, also it would be a lot shorter if people did in fact read the entire thread before they got on their podium.

Reactions: bholler
I know I kind of derailed things with the furnace discussion but Trevj did specifically ask about them. So I don't feel it was a full tilt derailing.

It has dropped right back down into a nasty cold snap here as I mentioned before. -18.5C at my place this morning. I imagine Trevj is feeling some motivation again for sorting this out.

The OP's dissatisfaction is legit but the contributing cause seems to be less of the stoves fault than the configuration of the system. If anyone decided to look for critical reviews of the stove I hope they find this thread.

Exactly. What anyone searching for info on the the stove should learn from this thread is that, for one thing the stove needs to be installed to the manufacturers specifications.

Censorship is bad. I don't know that BK necessarily learned anything new in this thread but I'm guessing over time this forum has informed the company to their benefit.

Reactions: Marshy
-18.5C at my place this morning.

So a low of 1 below zero F. Brrr, that wind blew in last night and it's still blowing from the north right where Trev is from on the Fraser. Below zero C here too!

Reactions: Squisher
I know I kind of derailed things with the furnace discussion but Trevj did specifically ask about them. So I don't feel it was a full tilt derailing.

It has dropped right back down into a nasty cold snap here as I mentioned before. -18.5C at my place this morning. I imagine Trevj is feeling some motivation again for sorting this out.
Yeah here too on the east coast, back to what late Jan, early Feb should be like, highs near mid 20's F and lows in the teens. I had to supplement with a small space heater near the bedrooms as the house temp was 66-67F. When the outside air temp is low 30's the house will be around 70F but anything less than that we are load following the outside temp. :(

Exactly. What anyone searching for info on the the stove should learn from this thread is that, for one thing the stove needs to be installed to the manufacturers specifications.

Censorship is bad. I don't know that BK necessarily learned anything new in this thread but I'm guessing over time this forum has informed the company to their benefit.
I feel this past of my statement is equally important;
"If they can draw similarities from this thread on how they intend to use the stove they might realize the stove is not ideal for their application."

By that I mean, hooked to a masonry chimney without a stainless liner and installed in an unfinished basement. I didn't think it would be asking too much but it is.

I feel this past of my statement is equally important;
"If they can draw similarities from this thread on how they intend to use the stove they might realize the stove is not ideal for their application."

By that I mean, hooked to a masonry chimney without a stainless liner and installed in an unfinished basement. I didn't think it would be asking too much but it is.

I guess it remains to be seen. If the stove was hooked up with proper size flue and appropriate draft spec would the problem persist? Don't know. I've wondered if an old smoke dragon blowing through wood can put out more BTU's than modern stoves. I think the answer may be yes which is I was asking about trev's wood consumption. I've never had that kind of heat need so not sure.

Also wonder if it's a convective vs radiant heat issue. If the old unit was heating air better than the BK he may have had less heat lost to the basement walls but I don't know if the BK has convective jacket or whatever, anyone anyone?

So a low of 1 below zero F. Brrr, that wind blew in last night and it's still blowing from the north right where Trev is from on the Fraser. Below zero C here too!

Yah. Around zero or whatever on the fairy tale scale err I mean Fahrenheit scale.

Reactions: Woody Stover
If you all will permit a newb/lurker to comment on the thread title and how useful this thread is to me. I lurk here because I’m seek knowledge for a “hunting shed/small cabin/barn” I want to build this year. Hunting season can be quite cold so I want heat most likely in the form of a wood burning stove. In my uneducated mind, I was thinking of a non-cat stove, probably a PE Alderlea or a small Jotul, but even the smallest may be too large for a well insulated 12 x 16 shed. I had ruled out a cat.

Reading this thread, I realized the importance of matching the stove with the flue and the interior surfaces. The OP’s problem seems to be the flue not matching the stove and possibly the basement concrete. Realizing that, I now find myself seriously considering a BK Ashford 20 or a Woodstock Keystone. Both are probably more than I need but the ability to burn cleanly at a lower temp and maybe using a concrete floor and maybe a brick heat shield to suck up some of the extra heat and maybe a small cat stove might work for me. I might be able to run a wood stove in that small space without running myself and guests out.

My point is I read with an open mind and don’t have a negative image of BK because of the title or the OP’s problem. I hope the OP can solve his problem. It sounds like the dealer just sold what he had and didn’t know or care about solving his customer’s problem. That dealer hasn’t been named and he hasn’t been hurt. In my mind, this thread has helped me and BK because I’m now looking at buying one. Just my $.02.

Good luck to the OP. Thank you putting up with a lurking newb.

Squisher... I think its my fault honestly for going in that direction. Thanks for falling on the sword though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.