Dissapointed in New Blaze King King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are having problems but did not ask the dealer for advice???? That should be your first call
Yeah. About that.

Given the number of folks expressing their disbelief that anyone competent would suggest things that were from them, I feel that educating myself, for one, and sorting out some actual numbers, rather than my impressions and estimates for another, is in order.

As one example, the go around over the un-insulated basement. I live here. I spend a LOT of my recreation time, sitting a few feet away from the stove. I was comfortable. My wife was comfortable upstairs. I changed out the stove. I was not comfortable, in that same space, which was not changed. My wife was not comfortable upstairs. Now, I am sorry I do not have a recorded record of the temperatures. The level of disbelief that has been expressed, over my stated opinions on the general efficacy of this stove, in my circumstances, have mostly been met with, well, derision and disbelief. Numbers are harder to disbelieve.
Sorry those folks all feel that way. I figure I was giving that stove a pretty fair run to see what it could do. We went through a cold spell, and I found the heat output wanting.

We do not live in an extreme part of the world, as far as temperatures go, here, other than at high summer anyways. I wanted a stove that would run normally enough at about half throttle, with the ability to really really throw heat when I wanted it. I have not got that. I am sorting out the details of why.

Some seem to think I kicked their puppy for saying so, while others have been really spot on with their advice. By the time I talk to the dealer, I wish to have facts in hand, I wish to have a pretty solid handle on whether I think I was fed a line of poo, or if I just made a wrong decision, and what the potential right one might be to somewhat offset that.

Cheers
Trev

By the time I talk to the dealer
Yes but the difference is no matter how much we try to help you over the internet there is no substitution for a tech coming out and looking at the stove and the setup. And you dealer should be able to provide that for you

Honestly Trev I have a totally different style and brand of stove but have heard tons of people say good things about bks. So much that I was/am thinking of putting current one in future pole barn and getting the smaller version princess. I know your frustrated. To spend that money and then not get the results you expected all while getting it from the wife. I know I would be upset. First I would call dealer with concerns and see if they can offer advice and come check things out. In the meantime maybe try some suggestions and see where you can get.

So you are having problems but did not ask the dealer for advice???? That should be your first call
Until the apparent issues are addressed, how can a dealer (even if they are inept) or BK help? BK outlines specific guidelines for installation and if they aren't adhered to then it's very hard help.

Until the apparent issues are addressed, how can a dealer (even if they are inept) or BK help? BK outlines specific guidelines for installation and if they aren't adhered to then it's very hard help.
They can put a manometer on it and test the draft they can test the wood they can look over the whole system unlike us here who have to rely on descriptions.

They can put a manometer on it and test the draft they can test the wood they can look over the whole system unlike us here who have to rely on descriptions.
Yes, but we know the flue is not up to BK standards. So for them to get involved, or the dealer that will need to be addressed. Thats the point I was trying to make.

From the sounds of it, I doubt they have the equipment to do any tests, or the knowledge to do so...

FWIW I run 7" flue on my BKK ultra and it will heat me out of 3000sqft with lots of windows and French doors any day of the week on high burn.

For those that ask why 7", the ZC I had in place before my alcove install used it, and it was only 3 years old. Stack height is approx 26'. It was a gamble that paid off.

Yes, but we know the flue is not up to BK standards. So for them to get involved, or the dealer that will need to be addressed. Thats the point I was trying to make.
Yes but you and I both know that stoves work just fine on less than ideal chimneys all the time. They could simply test the draft. We help people diagnose problems all the time even if their setup is less than ideal.

From the sounds of it, I doubt they have the equipment to do any tests, or the knowledge to do so...
That is very possible but they should be given the chance.

Reactions: webby3650
Have we seen a pic of this setup yet?

Then why did you pay a premium for a stove that excels at that?

Like many he has gone from an old smoker/polluter stove to a modern very hi-tech stove which operates totally differently than the previous smoker/polluter that was there for years, it is not rare to meet someone who does not like the new EPA stoves at all and that has not been able to get use to their operation or has transitioned with difficulty. I am sure Trev at time of purchase believed he was purchasing the best stove in the world to keep warm with and was in a way happy to spend the $4000.00 expecting far greater than what he's got so far. He has gone from a radiating type stove to a convection type stove without purchasing the fans to move the convection heat generated, that in itself IMO is a problem, however I do understand that he wants answers and resolution to his problem and some of the facts/data he will gather will help him along with this. Once the data gathered he will be in a far better position to understand and attempt to resolve some issues and discuss with his dealer as well to obtain some help. I do agree that a certified knowledgeable tech is worth his weight in gold under these circumstances.

Like many he has gone from an old smoker/polluter stove to a modern very hi-tech stove which operates totally differently than the previous smoker/polluter that was there for years, it is not rare to meet someone who does not like the new EPA stoves at all and that has not been able to get use to their operation or has transitioned with difficulty. I am sure Trev at time of purchase believed he was purchasing the best stove in the world to keep warm with and was in a way happy to spend the $4000.00 expecting far greater than what he's got so far. He has gone from a radiating type stove to a convection type stove without purchasing the fans to move the convection heat generated, that in itself IMO is a problem, however I do understand that he wants answers and resolution to his problem and some of the facts/data he will gather will help him along with this. Once the data gathered he will be in a far better position to understand and attempt to resolve some issues and discuss with his dealer as well to obtain some help. I do agree that a certified knowledgeable tech is worth his weight in gold under these circumstances.
Well said! I hope the dealer is competent enough to help..

Like many he has gone from an old smoker/polluter stove to a modern very hi-tech stove which operates totally differently than the previous smoker/polluter that was there for years, it is not rare to meet someone who does not like the new EPA stoves at all and have not been able to get use to their operation or has transitioned with difficulty. I am sure Trev at time of purchase believed he was purchasing the best stove in the world to keep warm with and was in a way happy to spend the $4000.00 expecting far greater than what he got so far. He has gone from a radiating type stove to a convection type stove without purchasing the fans to move the convection heat generated, that in itself IMO is a problem, however I do understand that he wants answers and resolution to his problem and some of the facts/data he will gather will help him along with this. Once the data gathered he will be in a far better position to understand and attempt to resolve some issues and discuss with his dealer as well to obtain some help.
Yes I am fully aware of those issues I deal with them every day in the feild. But honestly my point was if you don't want long burn times why would you pay the premium for a stove whose claim to fame is it's really long low burns.

Reactions: rdust
FWIW I run 7" flue on my BKK ultra and it will heat me out of 3000sqft with lots of windows and French doors any day of the week on high burn.

For those that ask why 7", the ZC I had in place before my alcove install used it, and it was only 3 years old. Stack height is approx 26'. It was a gamble that paid off.
Straight up will make a huge difference. Main living space or finished basement I presume?

Yes I am fully aware of those issues I deal with them every day in the feild. But honestly my point was if you don't want long burn times why would you pay the premium for a stove whose claim to fame is it's really long low burns.
I couldn't agree more. I've argued this point a few times recently, some run theirs on high 24/7! I just can't imagine needing that kind of heat! Or like you said, buying into a stove that excels in low and slow burning to start with...knowing your house will demand mass amounts of btus to be comfortable.

Reactions: bholler
Well said! I hope the dealer is competent enough to help..

We know nothing of the dealer but hope so as well, however that 8'' exhaust choked to 7'' then connected to a 7'' x 8'' block chimney bugs me and makes me leery.

Out of curiosity Trev, how cold does it get where you live during the day and at night.

Our cold spell so far this year amounted to two weeks of -15C to -20C weather. Normal winter temp are in the minus single digits range on up.

We have lost pretty much all our snow in the last week, with nightime lows above zero. It has cooled down a bit again, for which I am thankful, as there is some logging goin on on our property, and the warm weather plays heck with the road beds where they are hauling out from. May get cold again, or we may slide on in to spring without another major freeze-up.

Lesse....http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...index&url=/statistics/cabc5596/lillooet-1///? Some data to sift through.

Short version. Not very cold, very often. Rarely for very long.

Cheers
Trev

7'' x 8'' block chimney bugs me and makes me leery.
Is that a common size up north? I have been doing this a long time and seen thousands of chimneys and have never seen a 7" by 8" clay liner

I'll tell you why. Because it was sold to me on the basis that it was capable of pounding out the heat when I wanted it.

You are describing a Blaze King King. ::-)

Even Post number 32 by webby, quoted here, was making that exact claim.

That's why.

Cheers
Trev

I'll tell you why. Because it was sold to me on the basis that it was capable of pounding out the heat when I wanted it.
I understand that and honestly it should be able to put out the heat you need. Hopefully you get it straitened out. My point was since you were not concerned with the long burn times at all you could have spent allot less on a stove that did not have that capability.

That's why.

Cheers
Trev
As many others have stated, the stove is very capable of heating much more square footage than you have. There's some other element at play here. I don't necessarily think it's your chimney, but that's the first thing BK will need addressed before they can be of much assistance.

I'm thinking that you were used to a wood hog that released heat from every inch of its being. Now you have a stove with well regulated heat output in a more convective manner. Your house, more in particular, uninsulated basement setup demands more heat than any EPA approved stove can provide. If a BK King can't do it, I really doubt you will find a stove that will! This is furnace territory or barrel stove maybe. Weather sealing the home might be the best use of funds though.

That's why.

Cheers
Trev

You picked the right stove. It's just not operating to its full potential. Hamstrung.

With that furnace return right over the stove a wood furnace could hook right up. They're less than half the price and supposed to be very popular in Canada. More btu output than a king.

Is that a common size up north? I have been doing this a long time and seen thousands of chimneys and have never seen a 7" by 8" clay liner

I am at the opposite end of the country but 7'' x 8'' tiles/liners does not exist here to my knowledge, I am aware of 8'' x 8'' but rare, normal sizes for clay and even refractory tiles and liners are 8'' x 12'', 10'' x 10'', 12'' x 12'', 8'' round, 10'' round etc. and this applies more to fireplace chimneys. Here when not using a quality 6'' stainless insulated chimney a 6'' SS liner is always installed inside a clay or concrete liner for a wood burning stove or insert.

Reactions: Squisher
I am at the opposite end of the country but 7'' x 8'' tiles/liners does not exist here to my knowledge, I am aware of 8'' x 8'' but rare, normal sizes for clay and even refractory tiles and liners are 8'' x 12'', 10'' x 10'', 12'' x 12'', 8'' round, 10'' round etc. and this applies more to fireplace chimneys. Here when not using a quality 6'' stainless insulated chimney a 6'' SS liner is always installed inside a clay or concrete liner for a wood burning stove or insert.
We see lots of 8x8 tiles which are actually 7x7 or less inside. We see lots of stoves still installed into clay chimneys if sized right and in good condition they can work fine. But like I said before it will never work as well as it would if it was lined with an insulated liner.

Reactions: Squisher
Status
Not open for further replies.