Distance from combustibles Englander 25pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgefire

Dec 16, 2007
Is the plug the stove plugs into considered a combustible?

My wife wants me to redesign the stove lay out. she wants cultured stone put on the wall behind the stove, and the plug moved that the stove is plugged into so its neatly tucked behind the stove.

What I want to do is put the plug in the floor behind the stove so I guess I was wondering how close to the stove I can be with the outlet, seeing as I only have 6 inches behind the stove.

I don't know what an inspector would say but I'd go for it. Mine is only 6 1/2" from the plaster wall at the rear and the wall isn't even warm so I can't see how it could hurt an outlet. My only concern would be in making sure that the cord didn't/couldn't come in contact with the vent pipe.

Really, I've yet to even feel any warmth on the hearth pad. The stones all around the stove are cold. The stove does little or no radiant heating which IMO, is a good thing. If ours is really cranking the top gets just hot enough to warm one of those tiny potpourri jars that you normally heat with a tea candle.

I would think that if you kept the cord on the right hand side of the stove (the side it comes out of in the back), and plugged it into an outlet in the floor that you'd be OK. Like Peggy said, the plug comes out the back anyway, and there's really not much heat that comes out the back, except the exhaust... which is the opposite side of the stove from where the plug comes out of anyway. The only heat I ever feel on the back wall behind the stove (which is ceramic tile) is just a slight warmth on the tiles around the exhaust.

I agree with the others, having the plug on the floor behind the stove
should not be an issue as long as the cord does not touch the stove or pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.