DIY chimney sweeps & Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner

Sep 20, 2006
Southern Ontario
While filling out the Woodburning checklist for my insurance before my install I noticed that there was a box to check that required that the chimney be cleaned at least annually. This is common sense...no biggie right.

Well the question is for all you DIY sweeps, do you keep records? how would you prove that the chimney was cleaned and maintained if something was to happen?

I like the idea of having a certificate of inspection and cleaning from a professional for my insurance records, but only because the paperwork would be great to CYA. Other than that I'd rather do it myself.

Ideas?

I've got it. Take a picture with you inserting the brush and have it dated and time stamped copy the picture and send it to the insurance co and keep a copy for your records

Status
Not open for further replies.