DIY install - Jotul Rockland -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djpoletti

Dec 2, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
First off, love this forum as I have gotten tons and tons of great information on my first wood stove!

I am planning on installing a Jotul Rockland into an existing masonry fireplace. All minumum dimensions are good except for the rear height of the firebox. According to the specs:

Minimum Fireplace Dimensions
A: Front Width* ..................................... 33” (838 mm)
B: Height ........................................ 23 3/4” (603 mm)
C: Rear Width ...................................... 24” (610 mm)
D: Rear Height..................................... 22” (559 mm)
E: Depth ................................................ 18” (457 mm)

My problem is the rear height. I have the required 24", but it tapers inward starting at 16" up making the depth not enough to reach 18" starting at this point.

Has anyone cut out any part of their firebox to make it fit? If so, what did you do it with? I'd only have to remove a 25" x 6" section.

Thanks for the help!

Custerstove said:
Most installers will use a tool that looks like a mini-jack hammer - takes the brick out in seconds.

Sorry, I should have clarified, but the brick is fine, it's just the metal firebox that needs to be trimmed. I had an estimate from an installer, but his price was pretty crazy - $1500 for a liner install and an additional $100 for the insert. Can't see the job being that difficult when I can get a liner and insulation online for $800.

Hmmm. I'm still not clear, do you mean that you wish to cut into the insert itself? I don't see how that's possible. Your first post said you were working with a masonry fireplace, so I figured it would be easier to remove bricks in the firebox of the fireplace. Perhaps if you can post some pictures, someone else could offer some better advice.

Custerstove said:
Hmmm. I'm still not clear, do you mean that you wish to cut into the insert itself? I don't see how that's possible. Your first post said you were working with a masonry fireplace, so I figured it would be easier to remove bricks in the firebox of the fireplace. Perhaps if you can post some pictures, someone else could offer some better advice.

I will post some pictures tonight. I am sure that will help. No need to cut the back of the rockland insert, I am sure that would be bad thing. :) This is just cutting a section out of the back of firebox that sits in the back of the fireplace. When I say firebox, this is a metal box that sits in the fireplace. This will enable the insert to be able to fully slide back into the opening. I'd think a saw zaw would do it, but just checking on other experience in this area. The installer said he would just cut it right out, but I didn't get the details on how.

Pics would be good. I think the confusion is coming from the fact that you mention "full masonry fireplace" but then say it has a "metal firebox" Generally a masonry fireplace is just that...masonry. The only metal bit would be the damper. Are you 100% sure it's a full masonry fireplace, not a pre-fab with a dressing of stone on the front?

Sometimes the rear depth/height is not critical. It just means the stove would set a little further out on the hearth. So unless having a completely flush install is essential, you might be able to get away with the reduced dimensions.

Okay, I forgot about this, but we have what they call a heatilator. This is where the metal box comes into play that needs to be cut. Sorry for leaving this important bit of detail out. I misworded when I said masonary fireplace.

Thanks,

Dennis

The issue to be careful of is that your insert is permitted for install in a code approved fireplace - I suspect "Sawzalling" part of the firebox out of the fireplace would affect its code approval. I had to widen the back of our masonary unit to get our Kennebec to fit. I would consult a certified pro before cutting.

Can't imagine how this would work with a metal firebox and still meet code.

Check the manual for the physical dimensions of the Rockland - they "may" be smaller than the necessary opening sizes (they were for the Kennebec), and you may find the room you need.

I assume you are talking about one of the older heatilator units - that are installed inside a masonary fireplace, essentially. I would not have any issues in cutting mine out but would darn sure make certain that there is indeed a brick and mortar / concrete chimney structure behind the rear metal shell.

I have no idea as to what the code implications are here just the common sense one.

CTwoodburner said:
I assume you are talking about one of the older heatilator units - that are installed inside a masonary fireplace, essentially. I would not have any issues in cutting mine out but would darn sure make certain that there is indeed a brick and mortar / concrete chimney structure behind the rear metal shell.

I have no idea as to what the code implications are here just the common sense one.

Yep, I think so. It has two vents/ two fans above the hearth. As far as what's behind it, I would think it would be brick due to it being an outside wall chimney. The installer that I got an estimate from didn't even flinch when I asked him if I'd have enough room for the rockland versus a buck 81. He just said that he would cut a section right out of it, so either would fit with ease.

This is the only part I am weary of for the install. Just want to be sure nothing will be harmed. Of course the heatilator fans will not be used after the insert is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.