Do adjustable elbows leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicDog

Aug 21, 2014
East TN
Finally finished building the hearth and got the stove positioned. I have two adjustable 90deg elbows in order to angle the pipe towards the snout. They seem really loose at the joints where the sections rotate. These are not cheap box store elbows, but I really can't see that they're any better. My thought is to JB Weld the joints once I have them positioned. Is there a better way? I was also surprised to find out that the T snout is the same diameter as the pipe. Would have been much simpler if it was the same size as the pipe's inner diameter.

most stove pipe is just set together with little exact tolerances. Not that a tighter fit is bad but smoke(air) is sneaky and will leak from somewhere if given the chance. Good news is I should be leaking "in" not "out" due to the draft and should not be a problem for you unless you have some ugly down draft/reverse flow situation.

Yes, even the best double wall pipe systems leak small amounts of air. They aren't and can't be air tight. The good news is that the pipes leak by sucking air in and not blowing smoke out because your chimney is always under a suction. If you have some issue where your chimney and stove aren't under this negative pressure than you will also have smoke pouring out of the stove!

Do not JB weld anything. If you find some really ugly holes like where the crimp fits into the round stove collar then a stove cement can be tucked in there to minimize the leakage.

Leakage is bad because every bit of air leaking into the chimney is air that won't be being sucked through your stove and the fire as a chimney is intended. It will weaken the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.