Do I have to use the fan, to keep the insert at it's most efficient state, or can I conserve electri

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are stressing too much over this. When you burn with it you should have the blower running. The most efficient is on high. It may be too warm if the weather is mild so low can be used. It uses less than a 60 watt light bulb. ZBurn it and enjoy...then burn it some more!

I'm not an insert guy, I have free-standing stoves...but I am an engineer, and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. You definitely want to have the fan/blower at least available to you. Without a fan, an insert offers only radiant heat and a bit of convection off the front face to the room. The rest of the heat the insert produces pretty much goes up the stovepipe. A fan takes air from the room and circulates it around the firebox, collecting heat, and delivers it back to the living space...forced convection. Much more efficient use of the BTU's you're producing in the insert. You may not always want to have the fan running, but when you do, you'll really appreciate the fact that you have it. Rick

Not stressing here, Burntime. I actually enjoy the learning and I do nothing without learning everything I can about it. Kind of sick, that way..............

I've got an interior chimney with an insert. If the blower is on, the downstairs (open concept) gets warm and if the blower is off, the upstairs gets warm. In the cold months I juggle between the two to keep the house the temp I want.

If you have an exterior chimney, however, you will want to run the blower or the heat will go out your back wall.

woodsie8 said:
...I do nothing without learning everything I can about it. Kind of sick, that way..............

I'd call it really healthy. Rick

woodsie8 said:
Never had a insert before, so just wondering if I can not use the fan, if the room stays warm enough.

You have really asked three questions here.

1. Do I have to use the fan (if I can not use the fan if the room stays warm enough)?

No, you do not HAVE to use the fan with most wood inserts. Many wood inserts are sold with fans optional. Some come with them pre-installed.

2. Do I have to use the fan to keep the insert at it's most efficient state?

Yes, the maximum efficiency will be achieved with the blower in operation. In some cases the highest speed is advantageous. In some other cases the lower speed is more beneficial. Some trial and error in your own particular installation will determine the best efficiency in your circumstance. Efficiency is relative and variable. It is hard to answer questions about efficiency with absolute certainty. But, in general, inserts are more efficient heaters with a working blower system.

3. Can I conserve electricity and not use it?

Yes. But you'll have to weigh the savings in electrical power against the loss in heating ability. Obviously, if the stove is heating your space without the fan you don't need to use the fan and the resultant Kwh. But if you need to heat more space, the fan will more than pay for the electricity used.

Sean

I plan on using my blower most of the time unless we have a power outage.It really helps moving the heat!The only thing i dont like about my blower is that it gets abit noisy at the higher speeds!but i can get used to that.

Woodsie may have to use the fan most of the time on the insert. From what I've been able learn from the insert threads they pretty much require a blower fan cause they lack the surface area of a free standing stove to throw out heat.

So sure, if it's warm enough without the fan you don't have to use it. that's how it is with our freestanding QF4300st. We only kick on the fan when it gets real cold...why I dunno, prob cause with ceiling fans it's usually warn enough.

Now if woodsie's question pertains to any possible 'overfiring' effect if the inserts blower fan is left off for a prolong time then I don't know the answer to that. I'm pretty sure the dealer would know though.

Remember, the electricity the fan uses contributes to heating the house. It is not wasted.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.