Do I need a block-off plate with a heatform fireplace and new wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildwildwest

Jul 7, 2014
wyoming
Thanks for your input. DH will sawzall the middle tube out to accomidate the new flex liner going into the existing chimney. I keep wondering about the diagram on heatform article redlining the block off plates. If we need one, does it go above or below the heatform tubes?

Appreciated :)

Yes you should put one in and it should be below the tubes we also cap off the cut tubes with some sheet metal before covering them up

Reactions: wildwildwest
That should do i would get some roxul to insulate above it to. Are you insulating the liner?

Yes he is insulating or using an insulated liner (short on the terminology lol). Speaking of the insulated liner, does it go from the flue shelf to the top of the chimney? (there is a 3' metal pipe extension on top). He heard something about leaving a foot or two at the top without insulation.

No insulate as far up as you can the top is where you will get the most buildup especially if it is uninsulated

Status
Not open for further replies.