Do I need a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

draughtdude

Dec 7, 2014
Ontario
Hi Guys,

Helping a friend of the family replace an old cracked Elmira with a new Napoleon 1400PL. In the fall the clay tile flue in the masonry brick chimney was knocked out and replaced with a stainless liner, so all that's required is to drop the new stove on the pad and connect the pipe.

The old stove has a damper and it's really a necessary item with the old stove, but the stove store says one isn't required for the Napoleon.

Total flue length is approx 20 ft with two 90 degree bends. Should we install a damper?

I've had experience with a super 27 on a 30 ft + flue and that stove was uncontrollable without a damper.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Unless you have a super strong draft it probably isn't needed. It never hurts to install it with one. I left it out with my new stove and have no problems. I did use to shut the damper during the coaling stage to help keep the heat in the house. With my new stove the cat kind of sort of does the same thing.

No damper needed. The resistance created by the double 90 turn will effectively turn this into a 15' chimney. If anything more pipe may be needed. The Napoleon likes a strong draft.

+1
I was reading my Napoleon manual this evening and noticed that they specify no more than two 90 degree bends total in the flue and no bends at all within 2 feet of the top of the appliance.

I have a pretty tall chimney . . . and in an average year can count on one hand the number of times when I felt it would be nice to have a damper. Most of the time the stove is very much under control and running well without a damper in the flue. The few times it is getting a wee bit hotter than I like I can control it by partially blocking the incoming air with some tin foil.

I have a pretty tall chimney . . . and in an average year can count on one hand the number of times when I felt it would be nice to have a damper. Most of the time the stove is very much under control and running well without a damper in the flue. The few times it is getting a wee bit hotter than I like I can control it by partially blocking the incoming air with some tin foil.

How tall is your flue?

Guessing 24-28 feet . . . never have actually measured it.

I would recommend trying the stove for a season without the damper. Get used to the stove first.

Status
Not open for further replies.