Do I need one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for my own piece of mind. I don't want to burn the house down but not looking to throw money away either! Plus I burned a good 10 face cord since install and we are still here.

regency said:
From the regency owners manual= Means must be provided to prevent room
air passage to the chimney cavity of the
fi replace. This may be accomplished by
sealing the damper area around the chimney
liner, or sealing the fi replace front. This I have done. It also states = Installation must include a full height listed
chimney liner type HT requirements (2100
degree F.) per UL 1777 (U.S.) or ULC
S635 (Canada). The liner must be securely
attached to the insert fl ue collar and the
chimney top. This I have also done. The only thing in question now is this = The factory-built fi replace must be listed per
UL 127 or ULC S610. I will look into this but I assume that it is good.
regency, one more thing. All of your burning it the way it is, is no doubt some indication of the safety of the install. However, don't forget that when it all really gets tested is when you have a flue fire.....normal temps. get doubled or worse. Best thing is to do everything you can to NOT have one.....dry wood, clean burns, and inspect and clean your chimney when it needs it. I have gone to a lot of flue fires as a firefighter and the worst one I ever saw was my brother's on Christmas Eve many years ago. He has the exact same triple wall Majestic flue that I have, from basement through the floor, a closet, ceiling, attic, and roof, 2 in. clearance to combustibles. The outside metal wall did get hot, but nothing caught fire. No way to know if you have the same flue or not. Probably not because these were installed in the 70's....Better technology today.

Status
Not open for further replies.