Do I need to add to my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
I just purchased a Blaze King Princess last week and am now trying to get everything installed before the colder weather comes. I've read that it is recommended the stove chimney be taller than anything within 10 ft of it. My furnace chimney is about 6 ft away and about 1 ft taller. Should I be adding another couple feet to the stove chimney or should it be alright as is?

Also, here's a quick pic of the stove. It is awfully dusty and hasn't been unloaded yet, but thought I'd share.

Oct14StoveTreehouse019.jpg

Oct14StoveTreehouse020.jpg

Oct14StoveTreehouse029.jpg

Is the stove pipe 10 ft or less from the roof peak? If yes, is it at least 2 ft above the peak to the top of the flue pipe? From the picture it doesn't look so, but pictures can be deceiving due to camera angle.

Be sure that all is in order with the BK too. Hard to tell from the picture, but manifold looks cocked at an angle.

The chimney sits about 12 ft from the peak and it about 20" taller than the peak.

With the stove, I had started to take out the cat to clean it, but then decided to leave it until I'm actually ready to put it in place. I see it is sitting sort of off.

I'd go ahead and try it out. You can always add a section of pipe later if you find an issue.

BG is right on the money, 10 / 2 is the rule. My only addition is support, is there any need for a couple of arms attached to the flue for stability?

Bracing is required if the class A is taller than 5 ft above where it exits the roof. This installation is well below that.

BeGreen said:
I'd go ahead and try it out. You can always add a section of pipe later if you find an issue.

Very true. I'll probably end up doing this and see how it burns... although, I've never used a cat stove before, so I'll really have nothing to compare with...?

BeGreen said:
Bracing is required if the class A is taller than 5 ft above where it exits the roof. This installation is well below that.

About 8 inches to spare, not including the raincap. Obviously if I add another section, I'll need to add bracing as well.

If the stove burns fine you are golden. If you find that your furnace is downdrafting and sucking in the exhaust of your woodstove on startup, that's when you are going to find that you have an issue.

In the meantime, give it a go and see what happens. Worst case scenario is you'd smell a bit of smoke from nowhere. I'd wait to address that if it becomes an issue.

My unofficial opinion is that you'll be just fine.

Looks like a big space you are heating there.

pen

I also think you'd be fine with what you have. You'll know after you fire up the stove and especially on a windy day.

NATE379 said:
How tall is the chimney from stove top to chimney cap?

We have just under 6 ft of double wall pipe and 9 ft of insulated chimney, so just under 15ft total.

You might be ok, but may have a weak draft.

I had about that last year. My pipe outside was a fair bit taller than yours though, about 7ft from roof to top. This summer I added another 3 ft length. Draft is much much better.

Give it a try, it may work fine. If not satisfactory, add a couple feet and a roof brace.

Status
Not open for further replies.