Do I need to change my mind here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I suggest to advertise both what is good, and what could be improved - if any.

Please include some pics of both home (if you so wish) and stove - I think I'm not the only person who enjoys looking at installs.

Reactions: sneefy
@tjohnson 's visit to Energy Savers made me head right over to reserve an Evergreen as well since I had yet to do so. They had two of the pedestal model in stock. One is now mine!

I had an interesting conversation with the two employees there. They said that the 2nd in command at Lopi was there recently. They learned during conversation that Lopi plans to add a catalyst to the Evergreen. I have no hard evidence to back that up, but if true then the clock is ticking on grabbing one before they do.

Coming back to the well here...please help!

I live in a neighborhood that is very attractive but with that comes very high architectural design requirements, and of course is governed by an HOA. We moved into this house just over a year ago.

An application is required before making any structural type changes to the dwelling. My initial submission for the external pre-fab chimney was denied by the board. I have since appealed and have changed a couple minds with the justification that:

-My house happens to sit on the end of a dead end and is backed to a wetland so there is almost no visibility of the chimney
-The stove is a sustainable energy source and falls under the same tax credit as solar panels (there is one house in the neighborhood with solar panels installed - which the board had to also approve)
-A masonary or boxed out chimney is not feasible as i have literally one spot i can put the stove in my basement to meet clearance requirements/code, and the chimney will scale up the house very close to a few windows - obviously not going to take out windows for this project as it would turn into a $75k/$100k debacle

The board has asked me if the chimney pipe can be painted. I have spoken with the owner of the distributor and he says it can, but of course would need to sterilize the pipe before applying paint and over time it will flake, etc. I've told the board it's possible to paint and obviously we would rather not, but are willing to if it's a deal breaker.

Looking for any ideas of justification i might be missing to help build my case and change some more minds?

(Also, never in a million years did i think i would sign up for an HOA but many factors make this the perfect place for our family - this is the biggest trade off we had to make! I don't need any reminders that this situation is ridiculous!)

:)

Coming back to the well here...please help!

I live in a neighborhood that is very attractive but with that comes very high architectural design requirements, and of course is governed by an HOA. We moved into this house just over a year ago.

An application is required before making any structural type changes to the dwelling. My initial submission for the external pre-fab chimney was denied by the board. I have since appealed and have changed a couple minds with the justification that:

-My house happens to sit on the end of a dead end and is backed to a wetland so there is almost no visibility of the chimney
-The stove is a sustainable energy source and falls under the same tax credit as solar panels (there is one house in the neighborhood with solar panels installed - which the board had to also approve)
-A masonary or boxed out chimney is not feasible as i have literally one spot i can put the stove in my basement to meet clearance requirements/code, and the chimney will scale up the house very close to a few windows - obviously not going to take out windows for this project as it would turn into a $75k/$100k debacle

The board has asked me if the chimney pipe can be pained. I have spoken with the owner of the distributor and he says it can, but of course would need to sterilize the pipe before applying paint and over time it will flake, etc. I've told the board it's possible to paint and obviously we would rather not, but are willing to if it's a deal breaker.

Looking for any ideas of justification i might be missing to help build my case and change some more minds?

(Also, never in a million years did i think i would sign up for an HOA but many factors make this the perfect place for our family - this is the biggest trade off we had to make! I don't need any reminders that this situation is ridiculous!)

:)
HOAs are sometimes a good thing. My one neighbor at one point, on his 1/4 acre lot had 1. a large RV parked in the grass 2. a set of jet skis on a trailer behind the RV 3. another trailer with lawn cutting equipment 4. a work truck with the work logo on it 5. a big a$$ truck for pleasure 6. a boat 7. construction debris / materials stacked along side the house open for everyone to see 8. an extra driveway parking area done poorly to the very very edge of his property. 9. A walmart shed made of tin that he put up in about 10 seconds, right beside his house 10. a motorcycle 11. 15 trash cans without lids on them piled to the top because, remembering trash night is hard 12. an above ground pool that lasted a year right against the neighbors property 13. and old beat up 'project truck' that was just cut around sitting in his yard 14. a random canopy to a boat possibly also sitting in his side yard.

^^ Remember this when you think about your HOA in a bad way.

BUT also remember that, you can fight the HOA if you want...but try to work with them as nicely as possible, like asking a parent for permission. Convince them this is a good thing, not something they are bending on. Be ultra responsive. Look for those that seem like they are leaning your way and ask them if there is anything you can do to convince the others, maybe articulate the design better or the need better, they know their HOA board members better than you.

If all else fails, Id do it anyway, but that's me personally. You do you.

HOAs are sometimes a good thing. My one neighbor at one point, on his 1/4 acre lot had 1. a large RV parked in the grass 2. a set of jet skis on a trailer behind the RV 3. another trailer with lawn cutting equipment 4. a work truck with the work logo on it 5. a big a$$ truck for pleasure 6. a boat 7. construction debris / materials stacked along side the house open for everyone to see 8. an extra driveway parking area done poorly to the very very edge of his property. 9. A walmart shed made of tin that he put up in about 10 seconds, right beside his house 10. a motorcycle 11. 15 trash cans without lids on them piled to the top because, remembering trash night is hard 12. an above ground pool that lasted a year right against the neighbors property 13. and old beat up 'project truck' that was just cut around sitting in his yard 14. a random canopy to a boat possibly also sitting in his side yard.

^^ Remember this when you think about your HOA in a bad way.

BUT also remember that, you can fight the HOA if you want...but try to work with them as nicely as possible, like asking a parent for permission. Convince them this is a good thing, not something they are bending on. Be ultra responsive. Look for those that seem like they are leaning your way and ask them if there is anything you can do to convince the others, maybe articulate the design better or the need better, they know their HOA board members better than you.

If all else fails, Id do it anyway, but that's me personally. You do you.
lol, you at one point seem to have lived in Eastern TN :-D

Some companies make chimney pipe in black. Ventis offers powder-coated chimney pipe in colors - black, white, forest green, and copper. Rockford also offers powder coating.

FWIW, I installed stainless steel flashing at the interface between the house and the patio. Before installing I painted it black with a Rustoleum paint approved for stainless. The metal was prepped with steel wool, then wiped down with alcohol. I did this will full expectation of having to repaint every 5 yrs. This is on the south side of the house in full exposure to sun, rain, ice, and snow. That was 16 yrs ago and it still looks great, with no flaking or peeling.

Last edited:
I’m thrilled to report i was not only able to get my HOA onbaord with the external chimney, but they even approved it without requiring painting the pipe that was considered during conversations!

Break-in burn tomorrow!

2AB825D9-600B-4B4C-A040-B598F9698670.jpeg 9A59266E-1E95-4E6D-A4BA-730D5D7A9702.jpeg

Reactions: stoveliker
I’m thrilled to report i was not only able to get my HOA onbaord with the external chimney, but they even approved it without requiring painting the pipe that was considered during conversations!

Break-in burn tomorrow!

View attachment 300197 View attachment 300198
Did that pass code inspection? Did they make you seal those windows closed?

Nice! Please report how bad the paint curing/offgassing is. Mine hasn't been installed yet and I'm curious how bad it will be.

Be sure the attic windows are closed when testing. Otherwise, the stove room may be under negative pressure due to air leakage at the top of the house.

I don’t have any attic windows but do have upstairs windows as you can see in the pic. The installers told me he made a specific call to the city as to whether it would meet code re: the windows, and was told yes. Inspection is in a few weeks.

Regarding the pressure and first burn tomorrow. Any suggestions would be helpful. As i mentioned no attic windows. I do have an air exchanger. Also have a fairly large range vent in the middle level.

My plan is to open the windows next to the stove in th basement, and set up fans a few feet away to blow the heat and stink OUT of the house.

The upper story window that is open in the picture is what prompted my comment. I couldn't tell if it was an attic or not.
Definitely don't run the range hood, some of these are capable of exhausting over 500cfm.
Is the heat exchanger user adjustable? If so, that may help prevent a negative pressure zone near the stove.

Does the stove have an outside air connection (OAK)? It sounds like one may be needed in this installation. After the initial breaking-in, if you find that the stove burns better with a nearby window open an inch, then the stove should get an OAK. This has to exit the wall outdoors at or below the firebox floor.

Sure, i was assuming you were referring to that top level window in the pic.

The air exchanger is user adjustable. Dumb question but just to make sure - would i want it off, or on, to help prevent a negative pressure situation?

The stove does have an OAK, however the window directly next to the stove leaks a fair amount as that corner of the house shifted a hair - so my thought is that will be enough oxygen and therefore did not have them install. City inspector may have a different opinion but between window leaking and air exchanger - i’m willing to bet i don’t need another hole in my house.

Typically the top level window won’t be open when i’m running the stove.

But how about the kitchen range - do you think we will really need to be that consciences about running it on a typical day when cooking dinner upstairs in kitchen and stove burning in basement??

And thanks for all the help so far!

The HRV should be on and slightly pressurizing the room and house.
The stove does have an OAK, however the window directly next to the stove leaks a fair amount as that corner of the house shifted a hair - so my thought is that will be enough oxygen and therefore did not have them install.
The stove does or doesn't have an OAK? It sounds like there isn't one at present.
But how about the kitchen range - do you think we will really need to be that consciences about running it on a typical day when cooking dinner upstairs in kitchen and stove burning in basement??
Not enough info on the vent hood. How many CFM? You will have to tell us how it works out by trial and error. The HRV may compensate enough. If not, I would add the OAK.

That's not as bad as some. Try the system out and see how it works. Do some tests once burning regularly, with the vent fan on vs off.

Reactions: tjohnson
First burn went well! It was stinky and tripped the smoke detectors twice, but that was due to the strong winds we've had all week i'm sure and overpowered the fans i had setup to get the smell out of the house.

I did a second burn yesterday and there wasn't much of a smell at all - which i figured there would be, and also didn't trip the smoke detectors.

Good luck on your install! Send some pics!

Good to hear the smell didn't seem to repeat.

How was the install? Any issues or things to watch them about? Energy Savers has been around a long time so I assume they do a good job.

First burn finally happened! With construction delays, final inspection was today, closing Friday. While waiting for the inspector, I decided to light 'er up. Until last night it had been covered in protective plastic sheeting to keep the dust/primer off.

Stove is in corner of great room. Lit one split at first and slowly ramped it up. I burned it for about 8 hours to cure the paint. Curing smell wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Noticeable, but not bad. Cracked a couple windows but wasn't hugely necessary.

In case you're curious, I did the hearth. Made it out of sandstone purchased from a stone place just up the road. Stove is set with several inches of extra clearance (beyond required specs) from the walls. Hearth has extra in front as well. I prefer to have some margin for error.

I love it! Such a nice quality of heat and the ambiance is great with the big window.

1672180968865.png1672181007441.png1672181038066.png

Looking good. Lopi bakes their stoves in a big oven after painting. That probably helps reduce the paint fumes.
Congratulations on the closing of the new build!