Do it yourself liner - how hard is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deron

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2009
Northern Kentucky
I'm having a hard time finding someone to install a liner, guess I picked the wrong time as everyone
seems to be backed up for weeks on end.

I've seen this video on YouTube

Is it as easy as that? I also saw another clip where a rope and some type of connection that fit inside of the liner end
where the rope was dropped down the chimney and I assume pulled through. Is there a way to replicate something
like that? I have a 3 foot offset where I would doubtless need something like that to pull it all the way through. I suspect
this would be the most difficult part of the install.

I can't find any video of the connection of the liner end to the stove, any clips of that and damper removal?

No, it's no as easy as that unless you have done it a dozen times. It's not hard though, it just takes longer than they make it appear. The hardest part for most is the damper removal/cutting. That part is a PITA. Oh, and getting the insulated liner started in the chimney. That can be pretty interesting...

I did it and it was not bad. I had an 11 x 11 chimney with a straight shot to the smoke shelf with slight offset. I was putting in a 6" (w/ insulation 7") 25' liner. Your 3' offset could be a bit of a pain depending on the angles. The damper and frame can be a pain if you try to cut it too much. Cutting it with a saw is definitely a pain. Wear a resporator and eye protection. After notching mine, I whaled on it with a 2lb small sledge and after 3 or 4 wacks, it broke right at the notches. Cast iron is very brittle and 1/4" cast iron can be broken fairly easy. Spray adhesive for the insulating blanket is nasty stuff to get on your hands. Wear latex gloves when using that stuff.

Some one else will need to address your offset. Not sure how much of a pain that is.

I installed my liner (insulated) and it was more than the 20 minute job the video implies. But, it all depends on your set-up and it's not rocket science--your putting one tube inside of another. Using some kind of pulling cap (I just made one) was also essential to getting the liner down. You need something to pull/guide the liner as it goes down. Before that, removing the damper & it's framing took me about an hour with a hacksaw, hammer, & chisel. Another 2 hours for my back to get un-kinked and cleaned up.

I think it would depend on how easy it was to reach the top of your chimney and your physical strength. I put my first one in last weekend and it was harder than I figured it would be. My chimney went up unsupported for about 10 feet so I needed to rent a lift to do it. Until I started trusting the lift it was a little unnerving bouncing up and down trying to shove the liner down while 30 feet up in the air. Liners aren't light. Lifting the liner above my head with all the weight dragging it down wasn't easy either. Much of my issues could have been avoided if I could have reached the top of the chimney from the roof.

Matt

I plan on buy and liner and wood burning insert for my existing open hearth fireplace.
What should i use to cut out the damper frame and do you need to remove the whole thing or just enough to get a 6" flue through?

If the damper frame is cast iron, which most frames usually are, you can cut it with a welding torch, a grinder with a metal cutting blade on it (messy), a hack saw (slow). What I found is I got it notched with the grinder and hack saw, then I got tired of the difficulty and took the 2 lb baby sledge to it. Because cast iron is so brittle, I started breaking pieces off without too much trouble. I took out a larger section that I would have if I was cutting it. But that made getting the liner down a piece of cake. Once you cut it your committed to going with a liner system anyway.

If I had it to do over, I would start with banging on it and maybe focusing the pressure with a chisel or bang bar and try to get a fracture to propagate. If that does not work then notch it and then try banging on it. Once you get the first fracture going, it should be fairly easy. Remember eye protection and a respirator, especially when cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.