Do oil furnaces know when you're sleeping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskwoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey guys, just thought I'd run this idea by you. Does your oil furnace know when you're sleeping? I think mine does....it always waits for the middle of the night to be fussy and quit, if it's going to. I swear it's like a 8 to 1 ratio night to day. Coincidence?

Seriously though, I heard the tell tale signs of slight rumble before bed.....guess I should have got to it then.

Lol, kinda like how my pellet stove decides to have a fan burn out during arctic January cold snaps! Combustion fan 2 years ago, distribution fan last year - so far so good this year. It's definitely a conspiracy of artificially intelligent heating appliances ;) - the power to heat is the power to destroy! ;lol

Believe it. Fish know exactly when you set down your rod to answer the phone or light up a smoke. It's a strange world VS humans conspiracy.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Hey guys, just thought I'd run this idea by you. Does your oil furnace know when you're sleeping? I think mine does....it always waits for the middle of the night to be fussy and quit, if it's going to. I swear it's like a 8 to 1 ratio night to day. Coincidence?

Seriously though, I heard the tell tale signs of slight rumble before bed.....guess I should have got to it then.

Ha. This post conjures up images from the movie "Christmas Story" as the furnace coughs and kicks, and the old man heads down stairs and his cursing

Last edited:
Reactions: velvetfoot
The middle of the night would be when the Englander runs out of steam?

Mine died last year when the first major snow storm was coming around 11pm, snowing, about 3 degrees and 30 mph winds when I was heading up to bead. Luckily I smelled something and shut it down until I could have it looked at. That night my woodstove saved me.

The middle of the night would be when the Englander runs out of steam?

More than likely if I loaded it up before bedtime that would be the case. As a rule I generally settle it down a few hours before bed, and only a few splits as well. When I check before bed, it's throwing heat, but coaling stage. It's kind of funny, when the weather isn't too bad, I try to keep the wood stove running hotter before bed, and the furnace won't kick for what I assume is hours. With the really nasty cold weather, I want it to settle down before bed so the oil furnace cycles in and out for the water lines.

I'm not sure if I make sense, but that's what I've been doing.

LOL. Funny post.

Things always break at the worst of times. On 2 occasions I had my HWT burners go kaput on me. Of course, they die on the day that I have 6 relatives coming for a week. And it happened twice.

Andrew

Have an oil furnace in our vacation home. We use a device that calls us at home when the furnace quits. Over the past 10 years we have had a number of calls, all of them around 1 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.