Do Pedestal stoves have a better r value than a stove with legs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
I just wonder if since my stove is a pedestal and not 4 legged, will that help more with the heat radiating down? Thanks!

It's more a matter of how well shielded the bottom of the stove is. The pedestal puts the stove a bit higher and with an ashpan below it, makes it easier to heat shield the bottom. But PE pedestal or legged both have minimal hearth requirements. There are castiron stoves like some Jotuls and hybrids from Quadrafire that also have very minimal hearth requirements.

I think it would depend on the ash system set up. The only way to know for sure about a particular stoves R rating is to check the owners manual or contact the dealer or stove company. Every stove is different.

In most cases, peds are taller - and many have a bottom that is either curved or otherwise has the ends bent down - so that there is another air space down there. When combined with a stove that has a double bottom (Avalon Rainer, etc.), this usually means you can easily hold your hand on the hearth and hardly feel warmth. Some of these stoves only call for 1/4" of ceramic tile on the base (spark protection) because of this.

But the others are correct in that each stove is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.