1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do they make fuel gauges for buried oil tanks?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Stax, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    My mom can't get off oil but busted loose from "the contract". She has a buried oil tank. Now that she will be responsible for determining oil levels, I'm asking the simple question above. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Everyone uses dipsticks up here.

They do make gauges that have a float on them, and can be calibrated to a tanks depth/diameter, but I have not personally used/installed one.
  3. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I've seen pnumatic ones that are calibrated to read based on the "pressure" in the bottom of the tank. I think there are sonar based gauges as well, but those are costly.

I'd use a dipstick as well. Be sure it's insured against leakage and know the construction and age of the tank.

TS
  4. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    You need to know the tank dimensions and then mark up a stick for that tank size. You prolly can find the inches=gals. info on the web. to mark up your stick. Figuring out the dia is the easy part. Maybe someone here has a trick to find the legnth.
  5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    How about the Rocket 7100.http://www.sybasystems.com/OEM Rocket/oem_rocket.html .
    They want $229 for it.
    I've had the indoor tank unit for several years and it's performed quite well.

edit: The exterior sensor can't be covered by snow, I imagine, so that'd have to be factored in (birdhouse?)
  6. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    I have the same thing on my indoor tank. Always worked well for me. No experience with the underground one. It looks like the idea is that you put the sensor on the top of the tank and then run the wire to the house or some other nearby structure to attach the transmitter to. Then the receiver goes in the house. Is $229 installed?

ac
  7. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    'buried oil tanks' - makes me shudder.

(Maybe it's just me....)