1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Do you burn the clumps?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by JohnnyG, Feb 12, 2013.

1. JohnnyG

JohnnyG New Member

Loc:
    SE PA near Philly
    I'm half way through a pallet of Hamer's Hot Ones and so far, two of the bags had a softball size clump of pellets that looked swelled up and they were soft.

Do you brake up the clump and burn them?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Sounds like the bag got wet. Definitely would not burn the clump, if its in a lot of bags I would take them back.

Are the pellets burning ok?
    briansol likes this.
  3. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Take them back. Moisture robs heat and wet pellets aren't auger friendly. I've never seen clumps, even from the stuff I got at lowes.
  4. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Only if I have a dozen or so spare auger motors laying around. Seriously though, I would burn Infernos before burning those clumps. Don't do it. Clumps happen when pellets get wet, and when they do, if you put them in your stove it's bad. In Laymen's terms, what happens is, "a whole bunch of stuff happens at once and ain't none of it good."
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    There is a few things you can do with the clumps. Burn them in a wood stove/camp fire. Toss them on ice patches after you break them up. Toss them in the garden or compost pile. Using it for mulch also works. Sure there are more.

But definitely don't toss them in the pellet stove. Wet clumpy pellets are the sure thing to an auger jam or worse.
  6. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    A large shapeless mas is not a pellet