Do you ever say this is JUST TOO MUCH WORK!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would allow hunters, but one of my neighbors would not like it at all. As she gives me tons of wood, I'd really like to keep her happy.

That is the biggest problem with deer overpopulation. Access to private land. The public lands are not overpopulated. I live in a development and could shoot deer out my window every day. #1 it would leave a bad taste in my mouth (not fair chase) and #2 my neighbors would have me arrested. Controlled hunts are fine. No problem with that where it's warranted.

Back to bio bricks!!!!!!!!!

Have not enjoyed burning bio-bricks. Split cord wood around here is still cheap enough that if I ever run out of or get tired of scrounge, I would buy wood that way.

Would like to try NIELS. Take a lot of the variation out of loading and burning.

Have not enjoyed burning bio-bricks. Split cord wood around here is still cheap enough that if I ever run out of or get tired of scrounge, I would buy wood that way.

Would like to try NIELS. Take a lot of the variation out of loading and burning.
If I reach the point when the wood ain't free, I'm just gonna use the natural gas furnace and have the occasional wood fire for ambiance. Way too much effort heating 24-7 with the stove if I had to buy and haul byproduct bricks. I also wonder if any money is saved when figuring in mileage to get the bricks, vs. an efficient gas boiler and or minisplit.

I watch my neighbor with his pellet stove drive 60 miles round-trip multiple times each season to get the pellets he wants. And outside sits all the free fuel he could ever use.

Goes to show we all have different priorities!

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Ludlow
My experience with pressed bricks was that they burned better when combined with some cord wood anyway especially to get them going. So I always figured I'd need splits no matter what. A bit of supplement with some bricks would be OK but nothing more.

As far as work goes, I don't see a time where the effort with wood would make it worth being my primary source of heat. I have another fireplace that I could add a stove or insert in that would make heating the entire shack with wood possible in even the coldest weather we could expect but there's a perfectly good oil burner in the basement. Now I would never use oil to heat up to the temps that I do with the wood. Maybe things will be different when I retire.

No boiler in my basement, no basement for that matter

Like you, I now burn a couple of bio bricks with wood splits. I figured it can't but help to lower the average moisture content of the load

As to details, the bio bricks are a lot less messy than the eco bricks from tractor supply. I thought I could clean up using a dust buster. Fat chance. Drop a T S eco brick and you need a shovel

That is the biggest problem with deer overpopulation. Access to private land. The public lands are not overpopulated. I live in a development and could shoot deer out my window every day. #1 it would leave a bad taste in my mouth (not fair chase) and #2 my neighbors would have me arrested. Controlled hunts are fine. No problem with that where it's warranted.

Back to bio bricks!!!!!!!!!
So many deer around here, were mowing them down on the highway faster than shooting them. Yrs ago the wolves and mountain cats and a few bears along with hunters controlled the population. I dont hunt, but im fine with hunters.

Reactions: Ashful
I dont hunt, but im fine with hunters.
Same issue here. A population explodes due to imbalance created by the lack of natural predators. I'm ok with - sober and responsible - hunters. Not with the yahoos that shoot anything that moves and shoot deer in people's yards then drive off leaving the injured animal to suffer. There should be a special place in hell for them

Responsible Hunters are very necessary , i dont think the general population is ready to deal with bringing the wolves back or the mountain cats that could possibly drag children and livestock away.

We had a young, healthy cougar around here a couple years ago. It did a decent job of reducing the deer population, but then it also took out some sheep and locals got restless. They agitated and got folks worried about their pets and children. Unfortunately complaints started going in to fish and wildlife and that was the end of the cougar.

Cougars have killed a few people. They are death machines when they decide they want something.

No predators here. On the barrier islands to my south which are largely comprised federal park land the deer are sickly and tick infested because there are too many.

The deer in my neighborhood are still reasonably healthy but the population is increasingly rapidly year to year.

Cougars have killed a few people. They are death machines when they decide they want something.
Thats why i say i think responsible human hunters are one of the best ways to control the deer. Way less likely to drag off children and livestock. Otherwise the deer will decimate the forest and die of starvation or disease. Way more cruel than a bullet.

Choo-choo.

Attachments

• train.jpg
    train.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 107
Speaking of deer population, I’ve always found it odd that people can be so aware of the dangers of a deer overpopulation but flip their chit when you mention possibly controlling the human population. Hunting is fine, not against it by any means, it just seems rational to apply the same logic to all animal species, ours as well.

Reactions: TWilk117
Speaking of deer population, I’ve always found it odd that people can be so aware of the dangers of a deer overpopulation but flip their chit when you mention possibly controlling the human population. Hunting is fine, not against it by any means, it just seems rational to apply the same logic to all animal species, ours as well.

The most dangerous game? Ok. Start running!

Yep, I agree. Funny thing is, turns out it's a really simple and humane solution: Education. The more educated a population is, specifically female, poverty declines, and so do birthrates.

There is a cougar that’s come through the green belt our house is on, city posts warnings more often the past few years. Clearly not eating enough deer. Deer are like rodents on longer legs that eat even many deer resistant plants (although they seem to avoid garlic).

Closer to the topic... our cats want to keep the fires going... so they’ve decided it’s not too much work for us. They will stand on the registers in a pinch but have not been satisfied with that since the insert arrived.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yep, I agree. Funny thing is, turns out it's a really simple and humane solution: Education. The more educated a population is, specifically female, poverty declines, and so do birthrates.

Education cant fix stupid though. One of the smartest persons I have ever known is a 10th grade dropout.

A nod to all the eastern PA - Jerz folks here.

I was happy to see a stove shop near me in Burlington, NJ has the smaller bio bricks. I think they may have been called eco bricks, but they will be perfect for my little wood stove (once it’s installed...)
I tried the big ones from TSC in my 1947-1950 Heatilator fireplace. Was not impressed.. probably cause the fire place was too drafty.
Too many deer around here, and people, and traffic on these old farm roads.
I went to a town hall meeting once to complain about all the new developments they were proposing, didn’t do skit.

That's the good news and the bad news. In that scenario only the pop of the less educated rises. Idiocracy incarnate?

paulnlee: If you like your house at 80 degrees, you might be suffering from hypothyroid. I had that ailment for about 10 years and I always had the house at 80 degrees, just about roasted the fiancee out.

I got it straightened out and now I like the house at 68 just like the girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.