do you guys leave wood next to the stove year long?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
so normally i have a ring that i fill once a week during the height of the burning season.. put that away about a month ago.. now have a tote for a day's burning next to the stove

thinking it wouldn’t be a bad idea to always have two days of wood next to the stove?

what do you guys do?

I have about a load and a half of wood next too the stove and it will probably stay there all summer. I may leave a small stash on the front porch too.

As the season starts winding down, I only bring in enough for the day or so. By the end of the season, no wood in the house, none on the porch either.
I'm thinking of building a small rack next to the stove under the window to hold about 2-3 days worth. If that happens, the routine won't change at the end of the season, but I hate saying never.:cool:
I have a lot more time for this than a lot of you, so that plays a part in how I "git 'er dun".

I keep the wood outside.
I'd take my stove out if it wasn't such a PITA. Valuable space.

What are you complaining about? A two day supply of fuel with the Blaze King is pocket lint and six twigs.

What are you complaining about? A two day supply of fuel with the Blaze King is pocket lint and six twigs.

Ha! Same two splits have been sitting in the rack for about a week. Keep bringing in uglies as I need them.
Looking at the ten day forecast, I might be done.

I usually take the splits back out but have the box of scrap and kindling still there next to the super cedars. I was brought up (before I seen the light) with spit it in the morning, burn it in the evening so wood in the house = bugs, termites, mold - all sorts of hazards.

what is left over on the rack next to the stove stays until next year, I see no need for extra exercise. good luck

I have half dozen white birch rounds that have been there since 1987. Every once and a while I dust em off. They must feel lucky when they see all the wood going in the stove.

Reactions: firebroad and ScotO
Moved the wood rack off the porch this week. Had one fire after taking it off. I hope that is the last one this year but if not, I'll just carry in enough for a small fire. Wood can stay outdoors. Like Jeff, we too would take the stove out until fall if it weren't so darned heavy.

I'd set my new overstuffed fatboy chair up on the hearth, like a throne.
Actually, I might pull it out and paint it some less boring color, if I get my other projects finished. It has a fair amount of surface rust from the five years it spent on the showroom floor.

Still burning here . . . I had a fire last night in fact . . . but when we finally stop burning for good the wood goes outside and in the shed. This time of year though I am only bringing a load or two into the house at a time and not filling the woodbox to the brim. In addition I think there is maybe one load on the porch . . . most of the time I am just going out to the woodshed or stacks and bringing in a load.

I leave the wood left over in the rack where it is... it is good and dry so no mold concerns. Doesn't rain in the house so it won't get any more moisture - not THAT humid and we do run an AC if the humidity gets up too high. Bugs probably have already crawled off the wood anyway too late on that front if I bother to carry it out at this point.

I rather think it makes a decent display next to the stove and in the fall when that first fire comes along it guarantees that the first couple fires are easy to light given how dry the splits are. Heck, I actually have a fire set up in the stove right now that may not get lit this season at all... looks a lot nicer in the stove than an empty box in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.