Do you have "pending" scrounges?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
We seem to have a bit of a scrounge backlog happening here...

Last year later in the season, we went out to the Cottage to grab some tools to change the hot water tank at the old house (had been doing some plumbing at the Cottage). On the way into town to grab something for dinner before heading home, we spied some pretty large rounds on the curb, so we stopped to see if we could wrangle them into the truck. In the mean time, we saw the home owners so we asked to be sure they weren't spoken for. No-and could we just come help hold this rope while they dropped this tree? If we could, we could have that wood too...Of course we did, and in the process found that the older gentleman was trying to cut some pretty big trees with an electric pole saw (I have NO idea how they managed to get the bigger pieces cut!!). So, we offered to help...and ended up with the tree we helped drop that day, another tree, the remains of the one that was up front, and the promise of yet another if we could figure out how to safely drop it (it's leaning towards wires, and there are houses in other directions). It's all box elder. We still have to go back to get the rest of the last tree we dropped-once we figure out how to buck the thing, it's stalling the Farm Boss (it's got to be 4-5' in diameter, it's HUGE). So that's a spring project.

A few weeks ago we answered a CL ad for a 60' willow. Again, we have to figure out how to buck the big ole base-the home owner had the rest already bucked and even helped us haul it home with his HD!

Then this weekend, we answered another CL ad for a downed maple, already bucked. Spent yesterday walking piece by piece out from a backyard into the little winter DD and hauling it home-we still have about half the tree left to go, and some big rounds that will have to wait till we can cut them up because there's NO way we're carrying them out as is.

AND we have a downed cherry to go check out and buck and haul home at another location-DH got that lead from a fellow booth owner at the antique coop we're in.

LASTLY, we have a bunch of pine and maple rounds at our old house from our own tree and another scrounge DH got from CL in November.

As we were tossing the maple onto the "scrounge pile" yesterday we were joking that come spring we're going to be regreting this, lol. We ahave a HUGE pile already to C/S/S and it's not even all there yet! Of ccourse, come fall a year from now we'll be happy we did this when we're not buying wood. I just wish we had a bigger lot to use to stage and process-not to mention stack! Hopefully the scrounges keep coming...

I have a couple of friends who want to remove trees and I will cut the trees up and take the wood. I guess those are pending scrounges.

I have a couple of open invites to clear out dead/dying/down stuff any time I want, so I guess that is pending. A total wooded acreage of about 46 acres, so I will probably never be "done".

This morning I visited a CL free (blow down) wood. A waste of time, all rotten junk. Glad I didn't drive far!

I guess these would be called scrounges.I prefer the term "harvesting" however :coolsmirk:

Mostly done cleaning up standing snags & down wood at parent's acreage.Last week started salvaging what the County Road Department workers left in 2 big piles in the rightof-way ditch at east end of their property along the gravel road.About 2/3rds load of primo green White & Bur Oak,with some smaller Red Oak,Hophornbeam/Ironwood,Shagbark Hickory,Mulberry,Hackberry & Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper so far.Looks to be about 2,maybe 3 p'u loads total along the property line.When that's all cut & hauled up to main pile,I'll continue along that road for another mile or two.There's another 3-4 loads easily free for the taking.Mostly Red Oak & some Mulberry & Hackberry from 4" to 16" or so diameter.That's if the county guys dont burn the few scattered piles that are left.A couple smaller ones they did I noticed 2 weeks ago already.

My neighbor across the street had 2 trees come down at the edge of their property during Irene. One was a small BL that landed on their lawn. They have a stove but dont burn much and offered me the tree. Nice half cord. The other tree.. much bigger... went down into the woods on the back of some mcmansions' lot.

We didn't know the disposition till just recently when the owner of that big house said they don't care and we can take anything that's dead on the ground in there. The "in there" is about a half acre wooded area between the houses that probably has at least 3 or 4 decent size trees down.

I think I just found my 13/14 wood.. just have to get in there and start cutting.

Anybody who doesn't have some lined up isn't really trying. Around here, once I make some room busting up some prior scores, the choice is: Black Locust, Sugar Maple, Red Oak. All are right next to paved road. Sugar Maple will probably be next, now that road shoulder is frozen. Nothing beats Sugar Maple.

With time and experience, it's getting almost too easy. Almost.

I have 1 acre wooded to clear, 2 lots of downed ash and a bunch of coworkers trees to clean and fell. All of this was people offering I didn't even need to ask I love it!

Pete

Living in town, and not having my own woods (and by the way, I envy all you guys that do!) when I don't have pending scrounges, I get nervous. I have lived my entire life dreaming of having my own woods, but around here, the opportunities to buy that kind of property are few are far between, and expensive, so I don't know if I will ever have that. 40 years of scrounging has served me well, just not as much fun as you guys with your own woods.

have literally hundreds of acres around me here at the cabin with all kinds of blowdowns and standing dead in addition to my own substantial acreage, however,i get a charge out of cleaning up someone elses problem trees-like the massive white oak i took care of yesterday for a neighbor farmer. easy score there! back in a day or two to drop some standing dead ash for him.feels good to help out!

If I don't resort to harvesting, I will probably lose my three year ahead status by the end of this heating season. Was a little cocky and sold 5 cord this summer, they put a wall and a gate around my favorite scrounging site the city mulch pile, and my phone took a dive while doing some roofing with all my contacts in it. I'd call it the perfect storm but a storm usually produces some firewood opportunities. So, made a deal with a buddy that has 160 acres of woods on his farm and is always looking for help to work them. It's a little further than I like to haul firewood but as good an excuse as any to hang out.

Taking advantage of yet again another mild weather weekend to bring in more ash. It's nice to have some ash after only finding oak for so long. Great to have variety.

tfdchief said:
Living in town, and not having my own woods (and by the way, I envy all you guys that do!) when I don't have pending scrounges, I get nervous. I have lived my entire life dreaming of having my own woods, but around here, the opportunities to buy that kind of property are few are far between, and expensive, so I don't know if I will ever have that. 40 years of scrounging has served me well, just not as much fun as you guys with your own woods.

I don't live in town, but I still don't have any woods :( A few acres within a reasonable distance for harvesting would be cost prohibitive-it just wouldn't pay to buy it and pay the taxes, it would be cheaper to just buy wood. We know someone with a farm, but they are over 50 miles from us, making it both cost prohibitive even once we get our trailer and illegal in NY (you can't move firewood more than 50 miles in NY).

Similar to some other folks, I have a neighbor who wants a lot of trees taken down to improve his view and I get the wood, and another neighbor with blow downs that he doesn't mind me cleaning up - I'll get working on these trees as weather and time permits - no big rush as the trees are 'mine' for the taking - no one else will creep up on my 'scrounge'! Cheers!

several.

In my world, professional tree service, the scrounging is easy because of the job. However before you get to thinking I have an unlimited supply of free wood consider what it takes to do the removal, clean the job site, load the truck. Then when I do get a break in the action of doing tree work I usually am the only one to C/S/S the wood and do the yard clean up. When I consider all the details I think of it as a fringe benefit that helps to heat the house. Those of you who scrounge wood probably have it easier in the big picture, as you don't do wood every time you work. I'm not really complaining just sayin. :smirk:

Yes. Its crazy how mentioning to a few people that you are looking for some wood will get you endless weekends and evenings of exercise. I've got several trees in my neighborhood to gather this week. All free stuff too. I'll get everything ready tonight and spend the next couple nights gathering. IMO heating prices aren't high enough to get everyone to gathering the free heat. When that happens though we'll all be paying for wood.

seeyal8r said:
Yes. Its crazy how mentioning to a few people that you are looking for some wood will get you endless weekends and evenings of exercise. I've got several trees in my neighborhood to gather this week. All free stuff too. I'll get everything ready tonight and spend the next couple nights gathering. IMO heating prices aren't high enough to get everyone to gathering the free heat. When that happens though we'll all be paying for wood.

It helps that we aren't picky, we'll scrounge pine and willow just as quick as maple or oak. Ny is getting tougher on OWB's so we aren't competing with them as much as other stove and fireplace burners, some of whom won't burn pine or "lesser" woods like willow.

I've got a Cherry tree at my sister's place that has been waiting for me since Irene. There are a few others around that I will be getting to. For the second time in 8 years somebody else took a roadside scrounge that I hadn't finished yet. No, I didn't leave any cut wood, but somebody cut a few rounds off an Ash tree that I have been picking away at since October. I am still overloaded with unsplit '14/'15 Red Oak at the house now anyway. I have nearly a cord of it that has been on the old flatbed for almost a month now! I hope to get started unloading, splitting and stacking it soon. I hope the springs come back up once I do get it unloaded.

If cutting wood that you don't own for free is scrounging, then I have access to about 160 acres where I can scrounge at my convenience.

Occasionally friends or co-workers will ask me if I can make some trees go away for them too, but I don't have anything booked right now.

I've got an American Elm standing dead in my neighbor's yard, six feet of mulberry trunk across the street from me and my parents neighbor has 1/2 of a huge black oak that I would like to get my hands on. The oak is probably 1/2 to 1 cord, the mulberry I already harvested 1+cord from and the elm maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cord.

lukem said:
If cutting wood that you don't own for free is scrounging, then I have access to about 160 acres where I can scrounge at my convenience.

I would say you are well kept not a scrounger

Tree trimmer called and will have several small Oaks in the next town in a week or two cut for me. Factory I pick up pallets from wants me to pick up a couple truck loads this weekend.

About 200 acres of corn field surrounded by woods. Any trees hanging over that the combine would hit has to come down.

Locust Post said:
About 200 acres of corn field surrounded by woods. Any trees hanging over that the combine would hit has to come down.

Yep something similar here, just lined up & got the written permission for 1200 to 1300 acres of fence rows & field edges today, hit a 250 acre 500 + tops logging score last week. Only got 3 men + trucks & trailers so we'll probably never get it all, but we'll be in firewood for a while, & have some nice stuff for sale as well. Goal is 100 cord by the end of march then we'll split like crazy. Could be a bit of work, but should be fun. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.