Do you leave a window open?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only opened the window the first three times I started the stove (partly because of the smell of burning paint/chemicals). After that, I decided to keep the heat inside. We have a 1957 split level. Windows have been replaced, but it's still not air tight.

We keep the window above the bed crack about an inch or lesss down to about 0 deg, below that we close or if there a stiff breeze blowing a cold north wind...

I open a window in the stove room to move air to other rooms on the first floor and upstairs and also to control the temps in the stove room. It works for me much better than fans and other methods. It's also nice having fresh air in the house in the Winter.

I have no problem opening a window when the stove room gets to hot. I have even taken it a step further by opening the front door. I enjoy sharing the heat with the neighbors since they have had to put up with my log deliveries, chain saws and log splitters going for weekends on end in my front driveway (they all seem to enjoy watching me work and coming by asking questions).

Also, since the wood is free, it's all part of keeping the house comfortable. However, I do find myself sneaking around opening windows since the wife is not so willing to share the heat. :)

I don't think a oak is really nessary when a COW will do! (Crake Open Window) need we say anything more?It works trust me. :roll:

I had my 35 year old home air-leak tested (seal the house, install a giant fan in the front door with some special computers and test how much pressure it generates in the house for a given fan speed and aperture). Very cool.

Anyway, my house was actually VERY tight....after I weather-sealed two access panels to the attic and did the other things recommended.

I chose NOT to try to seal off the bathroom fans better - those and a recessed light were massive air-sealing losses. But leaving them alone also kept my house from being too tight.

I'm simply relaying this because I think if you are really smart with weather sealing, you can make even a 1970s home too tight for a given family (i.e. family of 4).

iceman said:
I have tried to tighten up my house which has worked but you find something else. I leave a window cracked all the time now and it is working so far... I discovered that cold air was actually coming in my kitchen from my forced air supply! It was coming in from the supply that was close to the filter... after calling hvac to check duct it was discovered that it was just pressure issue.... everything I kept sealing the air had to come in from somewhere... so since I leave a window cracked close to the stove no more air coming through the vent...
And yes I closed it and sealed it .... the air just came in the next vent down..lol
I can not oak as my chimney is interior and no way to get outside air to it..
Bummer

Go down the ash dump, knock out a couple bricks in basement, then run OAK across basement ceiling to exterior.

Only open a window when both bathroom vents are going in the morning or when the wife uses the kitchen hood vent on high. Either situation can cause a negative draft in my house, especially if it is not to cold or the fire is not real hot.

I open windows to keep from roasting in this house, I use them as a thermostat, don't know what I will do next year when I have some properly seasoned wood.

I work to hard for the precious heat! I seal every crack and crevasse. If the stove burns there is air coming in from some ware! If it goes above 50 f I'll open a window to freshen up!

allhandsworking said:
I work to hard for the precious heat! I seal every crack and crevasse. If the stove burns there is air coming in from some ware! If it goes above 50 f I'll open a window to freshen up!

you talking about 50 in the house??

ChillyGator said:
2. The object is to heat the house and not piss off the wife. EPIC FAIL

OWNED!!!

Kenster said:
I noticed that the curtain on the window (opened about an inch or so) was standing out away from the window. I could feel a soft, cold draft coming in. The only possible thing that could have been pulling that draft in was the wood stove down the hall, around a corner and across a big room from that open window.

With this occurrence in mind, it does show the need for a small crack in a window... but near the stove. Knowing that a burning stove is going to suck air from somewhere, might as well be near the stove that it sucks from, otherwise, the stove will create an indoor pressure that will precipitate sucking air in from the outside from whatever available portal there is, i.e., cracks in the foundation, around windows, etc.. That means cool air coming in from who knows where.

So, I give the stove a path of least resistance, and crack the window near the stove about 1" all burning season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.