Do you let your pellet stove run at night or when you're not home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrogley

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2007
WI
We have a Kozy Olivia Pellet/Corn stove. Earlier I posted how horrible the stove was, but Kozy sent someone out from the main office (7 hours away) to look at our stove. Sure enough - the control panel was outdated, the fake logs needed replacing, and the chute for the pellets need change too. HOWEVER, now that all that is done, the stove is glorious. It takes quite awhile to warm up the rooms though (2 hours maybe).

Anyway, do you run the stove at night when you're sleeping or not home?

I have a dinosaur and not a Kozy. Yes, I run it all night. It took a while to get used to the sound of the auger, but now I miss it if it's not plinking out the heat.

Don't have a pellet stove but I have been sleeping upstairs over a wood stove burning for 30 years. Pellet stoves are a lot more consistent than a wood stove and have controls to shut down when something is wrong so I wouldn't have any concerns.

Yep. Our pellet stove runs 24/7 other than when I shut it
down for cleaning. Overnight I turn it down to the lowest
setting, then crank it up a little higher the next morning.
When we aren't home, we let it run on the lowest setting.

It is only allowed if you keep it in a fenced in yard or on a chain. I would think the neighbors would not like a pellet stove running around wild but then if you are in the country then it might be OK %-P

That's why they have a thermostat on them.... use it like a furnace.

JohnnyBravo said:
Mike Wilson said:
I sleep one floor above a wood stove that runs 24/7.

I also sleep next to a smoke detector that runs 24/7.

Any questions?

-- Mike

what is the square root of an octogon?

Tell me how big your octogon is first and then maybe I can square its' root.

24/7.

Make sure you have smoke and CO alarms (should have these anyways).

mine runs when i want heat , weather im awake ,sleeping or home or gone. nice thing about the pellet stove , its able to run unmonitored by humans at a set range, needing only to be fed and cleaned. bad thing is if you have no electricity , its a card table. so they should not be relied on as a sole heat source. (i got a woodstove for backup;) )

Yes, Our stove runs when we are at work, come home to a nice toasty house. Run it at night, wake up to a warm house.
Pellet stove are GREAT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.