Do you think I have a problem? Pictures of chimney install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukeboxfun

Jul 28, 2008
Ephrata, PA
I was looking over the bill from my installer and see I'm being billed for something I don't see. It is part (TLCRGK) adjustable roof guy kit. See that anywhere? Also look at the clearance where the pipe goes through the roof. Is that 2 inches? Is it okay as is? thanks for any input.

http://home.ptd.net/~tevis/pictures/chimclearance.jpg
http://home.ptd.net/~tevis/pictures/chimclearance2.jpg
http://home.ptd.net/~tevis/pictures/chimclearance3.jpg
http://home.ptd.net/~tevis/pictures/chimclearance4.jpg
http://home.ptd.net/~tevis/pictures/chimclearance5.jpg
http://home.ptd.net/~tevis/pictures/chimclearance6.jpg

The TLCRGK should look like this picture. That doesn't look like 2" to me.

Attachments

• chimne23.gif
    chimne23.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 764
That tight clearance photo, is that your interior ceiling? The roof cut out looks to have plenty of clearance and looks to be done very well. The installer spend a lot of time getting a close fit to the tight clearance spot and I see that your insulation shield looks like a pipe. So I am wondering if the tight clearance photos are photos of that insulation shield entering the room below. The insulation shield may touch combustibles since there is 2" between the shield and the actual chimney.

The tight clearance shot is the pipe as it goes through the roof the shingles are on. when you see the picture back away from the pipe it looks like good clearance all around, the tight photo is the back side you can't see. hope this clears it up.

If that is the back side of the pipe, that is way below 2". It looks like they cut a circular hole instead of an oval hole that accounted for the pipe going through the roof at an angle.

Also, it may be the angle of the exterior view, but the roof flashing looks wrong. It looks like a low pitch roof flashing instead of one correct for your roof pitch. In our installation, the top vented edge, under the storm collar, is parallel to the pipe top in spite of a good roof pitch. In your roof picture, it appears to be sloping downhill where it meets the pipe. Again, this could just be the angle of the shot.

Here's a shot of our pipe going up. Note where the roof flashing meets the pipe is parallel.

Attachments

• Stove-Install-010-web.jpg
    Stove-Install-010-web.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 785
BeGreen said:
If that is the back side of the pipe, that is way below 2". It looks like they cut a circular hole instead of an oval hole that accounted for the pipe going through the roof at an angle.

Also, it may be the angle of the exterior view, but the roof flashing looks wrong. It looks like a low pitch roof flashing instead of one correct for your roof pitch. In our installation, the top vented edge, under the storm collar, is parallel to the pipe top in spite of a good roof pitch. In your roof picture, it appears to be sloping downhill where it meets the pipe. Again, this could just be the angle of the shot.

Here's a shot of our pipe going up. Note where the roof flashing meets the pipe is parallel.

Also note the roof guy that is in Begreens picture which you were charged for but do not have.

When I installed my chimney I cut an oval hole but it still wasn't big enough on one side and I had to go back in the attic and cut it away by hand until it was at 2". I still want to get bak up there and cut it a little more before this winter just to be safe.

Does this installation require an inspection?

Rejected. Unsafe and improper. Call back the installer and have him fix it. I had to do the same thing since my installer put the pipe within the 2" clearance of a truss.

Your inspector should catch it but I wouldn't count on it. You could always point it out to the inspector to make sure that the installer comes back.

What is the part number listed for the roof flashing kit?

Do you know your roof pitch? It looks steeper than 6/12 but I am no expert here.

It's easy to measure. Get a bubble level and set one end on the up hill side of your roof, measure from where the level touches the roof out 12" inches, then measure down from that point to get the rise per foot. There is probably an easier way but that's how I do it.

It looks like they may not have hit the center of the hole in the roof from the photos.

Can you see the edge opposite to the one in the photos?

I would agree with the others that it definitely needs to be fixed; not enough clearance.

Pete

Yes, easy to measure. Put a mark on your level at one foot. Then take the level and place the 0 inch end against the roof slope. With it horizontally level, measure the distance from the roof to the 12" mark on the level. Our roof is 7/12.

http://www.hometips.com/articles/homenclature/roof_pitch.html

I think that roof flashing is just spun 180 off.

CTwoodburner said:
I think that roof flashing is just spun 180 off.

Looking at it agin, I think your right. If it was rotated 180 it looks like the top would be level.

This installer sure did make a lot of mistakes. I'm not an expert because I have only installed one chimney, but it's not that hard to follow the directions.

Roof looks about an 8 pitch, maybe 9.
Thats the wrong flashing. Even if you spin it, it will be the wrong flashing. If you spin it 180, then the flat plumb part on bottom will now be on a serious angle coming in at the top, and the angled part at the back now in the front will not be near as angled anymore. Will be closer to looking like the front does now.
Tough to tell by photos, but thats my guess from what I see. Another indicator is the installer centered the flashing, but with the wrong pitched flashing it pulled the pipe over while he was attempting to get a straight run on the pipe within less room of the low pitch flashing. The proper pitched flashing would give him more room around the pipe & roof deck.
Either way, now that the pipe is plumb to the stove (hopefully) the only thing left to do is cut the roofing & roof decking away to minimum clearances around the pipe where it is tight, and adjust the flashing to the pipe.

Well, I measured the pitch. It is 6/12. So I think it just looks odd from the low angle at which I took the picture. The bill says they used 6/12 flashing. I talked to the owner of the company that did the work and sent him the pictures. He is going to talk to the guys who did the install and get back to me. He said it looks like the clearance on the pipe should be bigger. He also said he would ask them why they billed me for the guy wire kit that was not used. As far as the flashing he said it was okay. Thanks for all the input.

If the roof flashing top is level all around where it meets the pipe I would agree. If not, then it needs to be done right. This should be evident when they remove it to fix the clearance issue.

I am 99percent sure that your flashing is spun the wrong direction, the seam is almost always pointing up the slope and it should not be that steep on the back side but it probably won't hurt anything.
Another thing that looks off to me is the support kit. Maybe this brand of chimney is different, but I've never seen a brand of chimney that allows the support package to be installed on the underside of the roof, it should be RESTING on the roof and screwed DOWN, this way there is never a chance of the pipe falling thru, even if the screws came completely out. I think only secondary support systems can be installed to the underside of framing like yours. I would be as cautious of this as you are of the clearance issue, the only thing holding your whole system up right now is 6 screws. Like I said though, I am not familiar with your specific brand, but the brand I install uses exactly the same type of support.
An easy way to roughly check 2" clearance to combustible if you cant get a good tape measure reading is put 3 fingers together, usually around the first knuckle measures 2 inches across then use that as a rough measuring device.

Right you are corey. Ameritech shows this as a Proline roof support bracket as well.

So now we have at least 3 visible errors in a brand new installation. This is really bad. We have no idea what other shortcuts they have taken. But even worse, this crew has, is and will be installing new flue systems with the same lack of care. This is the kind of stuff that makes me to loose sleep at night. The owner of this company should come out an personally inspect every job they've done recently. And the installers need to be pulled off the job and not allowed back on until they pass certification. A drug check might also be warranted.

The installers are coming out next week to adjust the clearance. They admit having the bill wrong as far as charging me for the guy support when they didn't install it. I am sending this thread to the company so they can see your comments and suggestions! Thanks

You can put my last comments in bold. The company owner is facing some pretty serious liability issues if there is a fire with one of these installations.

I agree with everyone job is wrong. If there is more than 5 ft of chimney above the roof you should have a brace kit on it. Clearances are non exsistant

Here is a copy of the email I just sent the company, I will let you know how I make out. Thanks for all the help and advice.

xoxox, I talked to xoxox about the clearance on my chimney and he said they will be out next Friday morning to correct the problem and that's great! I can give them a check for the balance or come in that afternoon to pay it. I understand your company has put in many many stoves over the years and that is why we came to you. I don't know much about Stoves and how to install them. However after showing the pictures I sent to you, to the hearth.com forum they had many comments which I wish you would read. In particular the comment about the roof support.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21394/P0/

I just want to make sure my home is safe, I am sure you do too. You are the experts and I am trusting that you do a safe job.
Thanks for all your help,

Status
Not open for further replies.