1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do you think its worth driving 20 mile for wood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by sapratt, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sapratt

sapratt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwestern, Oh
    I was given access to 5 acres of woods its 20 miles away. I went up there twice and got about half a cord of Oak and Walnut.
    I was told what ever is dead or down I could take. The wood I'm taking will be for next year. Do you guys think it worth driving
    that distance for wood with gas prices so high? I'm still in the greed part of collecting wood and keep telling myself if I don't
    take it I may not have enough for next year?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SteveT

SteveT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West of Boston
    I'd sure go get more. It seems you are getting about 1/4 cord per trip. In my area that is worth about $70. Forty miles round trip maybe $10 - $15 in gas; $20 total with wear and tear. So economically that would work for me.
  3. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Get a buddy with a 1 ton and a big trailer, it will be more economical...otherwise up the truck capacity so that you can do a face per load at least.
  4. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Hell ya.
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I think it's a no-brainer, no man...get all you can. Rick
  6. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    I think it will be more than worth the drive. You may want to think about getting some round-up and "Feeding" a few trees that look like they may be getting ready to go even without your help. Nothing like a steady supply.....
    Mike
  7. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    It's worth it dude......get all you can.
  8. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    I've driven 15 miles for pine and thought it was worth it. For Oak I'd drive 30+ if it was free.
  9. pinewoodburner

pinewoodburner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Va.
    YES
  10. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    As a fellow scrounger I at first was driving that far. Then I became a bit more selective to issues like distance, type of wood, how close I could get my truck, etc. as my stockpiles built up. Also I became a bit more savvy in watching Craigslist, FreeCycle, etc. Now it is getting a bit tighter around here to get free wood so I'd consider that distance. I'd maximize each trip with a trailer though. I wonder what trailer would cost me?

One of my further trips was an awesome wood score once I got there. Well aged hickory. Worth it to go check it out.
  11. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    At $0.50 a mile including gas and wear and tear on vehicle, 4 trips per cord- that's 160 miles round trip, or $80 a cord.

I think it's well worth it.
  12. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    I did two such trips in the past month - but I have a trailer that I can get 1/2 to 2/3 a cord in and be within the weight capacity. Both of those trips i loaded her up with a bout a cord - so a bit over weight. I just took it nice and slow. It does make you think though when you start adding up the gas cost these days - then you are piling that on top of your time and everything else. Eventually the cost will approach current cord price - but cord price will go up as the fall approaches for sure...
  13. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Yes, go for it! I've driven further. Look for or rent a trailer.
  14. Risser09

Risser09 New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    As others have said, it's always nice to have a resource for wood, though you might not always be in need.
    Forget all the costs involved, think of the BTUs you'll be getting–and a good workout!
  15. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    Without a second thought. Esp for oak and walnut.
  16. Carl

Carl New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Not very far away at 20 miles. If you live in a city then 1/2 mile is far but in the country 20 miles is nothing to drive. The oak I got this spring was 30 miles one way and a bargan for me since the wood was free. I use a large trailer though so can get almost 2 cords of dry wood per trip. I figure 60 miles and 15mpg equates to 4 gallons or 20 bucks tops. A no brainer for sure.
  17. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Oak and walnut AND you don't need to clean up the slash? Just cut and run? It is a good deal for free. I would use the small 15 mile commute as rest between loading and unloading.
  18. sapratt

sapratt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwestern, Oh
    I may look into a trailer. I like going there cause I don't feel rushed trying to get as much as I
    can before someone else gets it. Last time I was there I found a good opening with alot of wood
    but it was tight getting to even with a S-10. Thanks for the input I was having my doubts if it was worth
    going up there. You all have changed my mind and I will continue to harvest dead and dieing trees.
  19. Acosi151

Acosi151 New Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick
    PROS:
    - Gets more wood
    - Uses your truck for "truck stuff"
    - Gives you a good reason to run a chainsaw ...maybe even good reason to buy a new chainsaw!
    - Better than sitting on the couch, exercise!
    - Wood you cut yourself is more satisfying when it burns
    - What else have you go to do? (seriously.. you're not busy, you're screwing around on hearth.com)

CONS:
    - Gas is expensive (boo-hoo)

... I just did the math.. I've been traveling 24 miles each way for wood this spring in a 1/2 ton and it never even occurred to me that I might be traveling too far. GO FOR IT!
  20. WILDSOURDOUGH

WILDSOURDOUGH New Member

Loc:
    Unity, NH
    Everyone has voted- YES !
    My vote is yes too.
    Free hardwood is good- no sense in letting it go to waste.
  21. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I'd be all over it.

A man/woman gotta do what a man/woman has to do.

What are you moving it with?
  22. Vic99

Vic99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA, Suburb of Lowell
    Yes, get it. When I go 15 miles +, I try to jigsaw in an errand that area while I'm there. Makes it less costly.

I may go about 30 miles one way for a 1/3 of cord of cherry from a colleague next week . . . although that seems a bit far to me, I did put out the word that I'm always looking for wood. I feel that often I am obligated to go, especially if I hope to get more from them later.

Today I drove 23 miles one way for a 1/4 cord of sugar maple from another colleague. Ran 2 errands while I was in that area too. Little by little I'll get a year ahead.
  23. Backroads

Backroads Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Richmond, RI
    Currently I'm driving about 29 miles each way for standing dead Oak @ $5 a gallon (Diesel). If you go by $0.50 a mile it's about $30 each trip. I got to cut the trees down, haul them out by hand because I can't get a machine in there, and split all by hand. So far I've gotten 5 truckloads, adds up to about to a little more than 3 cords. So it's $50 a cord +time vs. $225 C/S/D. So far I've saved well over $500. It's a steal when you figure it out as long as you can get enough wood per trip. This weekend I hope to get another 4 truckloads :coolgrin: !
  24. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    I just bolded the best reason yet to continue what you are doing. It is awful hard to put a price on that.
  25. gator1

gator1 New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    It's worth it even with a 1/2 ton pickup. It would help if you know someone with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I just bought a woodstove this year and I'm already kicking myself for purchasing a 1/2 ton pickup last year. Just picked up about 1/2 a cord of free oak from a neighbor last night. Got to love free heat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.