Does a leaner have to lean against something to qualify?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I have a a yellow birch (pic to follow) about 12" across on a steep hill leaning toward (naturally) down the hill toward the lake. The tree is dead & all the limbs are past the "to the hospital I go" point. I would like to make a notch so it falls on the beach (not the water) what is about 45* to the side ( I thing I can manage that) I have approached the bugger several times now to make the cut... but something spooks me about it....

If all the limbs have rotted off, I bet the main trunk is rotten too. That makes me concerned that the tree will do something unpredictable when it falls, and makes me wonder if the wood will be worthwhile.

Wood Duck said:
If all the limbs have rotted off, I bet the main trunk is rotten too. That makes me concerned that the tree will do something unpredictable when it falls, and makes me wonder if the wood will be worthwhile.

Yup. One can not be too careful with rotten trees.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wood Duck said:

Yup. One can not be too careful with rotten trees.

Yup. What they said.

nothing like cutting a notch in a tree only to notice theres a hole in the middle.

Diabel said:
I have a a yellow birch (pic to follow) about 12" across on a steep hill leaning toward (naturally) down the hill toward the lake. The tree is dead & all the limbs are past the "to the hospital I go" point. I would like to make a notch so it falls on the beach (not the water) what is about 45* to the side ( I thing I can manage that) I have approached the bugger several times now to make the cut... but something spooks me about it....

Your gut feeling is usually correct.

zap

zapny said:
Diabel said:

Your gut feeling is usually correct.

zap

Agreed . . . there have been trees that I have gone to cut and then for whatever reason opted not to cut . . . I think sometimes there is something we may be seeing subconsciously that may be telling us that there is a potential problem whether it be in the lean, the way the tree will fall, rot, etc.

How bad would it be if it just falls where it wants to?

I will wait until water/lake freezes & let it fall where it wants to. That way I can collect all the wood for burning & avoid pulling limbs from shoreline/water.

Status
Not open for further replies.