Does an offset stove pipe need a hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremia

Sep 4, 2013
I've just upgraded from a Royal Guardian to a Blaze King Princess, and in doing so I had to conform to the wifes request to move the stove laterally to gain space back in the dining room. The lateral move is a total of 49" from center of the pipe to the center of the new pipe. I am having a local company install the new stove and when the showed up to install they said the the stove pipe along with the stove had to have a Hearth. Can anyone steer me to a regulation that stipulates this? I live in North Pole, Alaska (out of city limits, If that matters).

Look in the manual under 'Floor Protection'.

"A non-combustible shield is also required under the chimney connector and extending at least 2 in (50.8mm) on either side of the chimney connector."

And, welcome to the forums.

Reactions: pen
Look in the manual under 'Floor Protection'.

"A non-combustible shield is also required under the chimney connector and extending at least 2 in (50.8mm) on either side of the chimney connector."

And, welcome to the forums.
Wow! I guess that's a first for me. I've never ran into this issue, but I wouldn't have thought it to be a problem. I learned something today!

49" is a huge offset! How tall is the flue? The BK's like to breath, the straighter the better! Unless you've got a real tall flue, this is gonna be less than ideal.

On another note, how did the guardian do?

Reactions: Heatsource
Wow! I guess that's a first for me. I've never ran into this issue, but I wouldn't have thought it to be a problem. I learned something today!

I assume it is more intended for a horizontal run. A 49" offset is a lot, and leaves pipe with nothing underneath, including the ceiling support. I suppose it makes sense. In the event of a chimney fire, I would want something non-combustible underneath to catch anything that might come out of a joint.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.