Does anyone else use a skid loader for cutting firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperman

Nov 1, 2006
Central Minn
As I have more time now to get out and cut firewood, I just can't get over how useful these little tanks are for cutting wood. My bobcat has become as useful as my chainsaw in my cutting routine. The bobcat's are small enough to weave between trees and go places tractors could only dream of. Getting wood from "way back" isn't even a challange anymore. I'm able to cut and drag nice Ash, logs that have fallen along the creek, and even into the water. And its surprising how many cuts can be stacked into the bucket of the machine. With the exception of the larger diameter logs, a medium size tree , will easily fit into the bucket. Where it can be driven from the woods onto the spitting pile, and dumped. Skid loaders arent the cheapest toys, but are worth their weight in gold.

reaperman said:
As I have more time now to get out and cut firewood, I just can't get over how useful these little tanks are for cutting wood. My bobcat has become as useful as my chainsaw in my cutting routine. The bobcat's are small enough to weave between trees and go places tractors could only dream of. Getting wood from "way back" isn't even a challange anymore. I'm able to cut and drag nice Ash, logs that have fallen along the creek, and even into the water. And its surprising how many cuts can be stacked into the bucket of the machine. With the exception of the larger diameter logs, a medium size tree , will easily fit into the bucket. Where it can be driven from the woods onto the spitting pile, and dumped. Skid loaders arent the cheapest toys, but are worth their weight in gold.

Dang it all, after the new stihl 361 I thought I was done buying stuff so I could save money burning wood. Now I gotta go buy me a skid loader. Man, that just set my payback schedule waaaay back. :coolsmile:

Really though, if one were cutting wood in their own "back yard" I could see that as a wonderful tool. Albeit an expensive one.

I like my Backhoe I cut or push down a big enough path I can use to rip trees out and also rip the branches off It also will break a tree in half

I can ever dig the stump out and roll it over back in the same hole Fron bucket can hold 1/3 cord stacked.

Couple years back I sold my skid steer and really miss it. I would be doing the same as you are but life and money choices forced its sale.

Had a lot of equipment all gone ,but I kept the backhoe JD 500c. Good for picking up the entire tree to keep it off the ground while cutting.
also pretty safe way to make the tree go where one plans

Status
Not open for further replies.