Does anyone have experience with the "HeatChampion"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure it would make a little more heat than an open fireplace but I am aslo sure that by doing so it will make more creosote in the chimney and raise the risk of a chimney fire. And it will put out nowhere near as much heat as an insert. It is basically a slammer inert that does not have a full firebox and because of that I don't think it should be allowed to be sold.

Ive installed several heat champions. It's had very good feedback, no one has been unhappy with it. They Do Not make a bunch of creosote as stated above. They do however eat lots of firewood, but in turn make respectable heat. It's no insert, but a good compromise if you still want that open fireplace feel.

Ive installed several heat champions. It's had very good feedback, no one has been unhappy with it. They Do Not make a bunch of creosote as stated above. They do however eat lots of firewood, but in turn make respectable heat. It's no insert, but a good compromise if you still want that open fireplace feel.
I dont see how they could possibly do the job of limiting the air input properly to give you more heat output and not at the same time reduce the flue gass temps to a point where you would get creosote buildup. To me I just don't see any way you can have both work well.

They hardly limit the air supply. Inside is a raging fire just about like an open fireplace. Air is simply blown through the hollow fireback and comes out the other side hot. It's robbing some heat from the fire and limiting the air somewhat. It's not enough to cause excessive creosote buildup though.

They hardly limit the air supply. Inside is a raging fire just about like an open fireplace. Air is simply blown through the hollow fireback and comes out the other side hot. It's robbing some heat from the fire and limiting the air somewhat. It's not enough to cause excessive creosote buildup though.
ok then what is the point of the gasketed doors? If all it is is a set of doors with a heat exchanger then No it probably wont increase buildup much at all but that is not how the page described it.

It's the same as an airlock door but has a heat exchanger. And a cool grill feature. Not very many fireplace doors can be used with doors shut during a fire. It's a nice compromise, not everyone wants big heat out of a fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.