Repositioning flush insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slimdusty

Aug 22, 2023
Washington State
Reading a separate thread got me curious…I have a flush insert, does a decent job of heating but a little more heating ability would be nice. If I reposition the insert so that it sticks out, say 2 or 3 inches, would the heat gain be worth the effort? I would have to modify my block off plate and modify my surround so that it still looks nice. Also, my insert heats almost entirely by convection using the blower, so the way I see it, any gain from radiation would be minimal. ? Your thoughts? Anyone have experience doing this? Thanks!

I don't think the gain would be worth it. A lot of inserts have a surrounding convective jacket and are not that radiant.

You would be better off insulating your fireplace so the heat stays where it needs to.
It is insulated, with the exception of no insulation above my block off plate, which is on my to do list. I also plan to try running the stove without the surround one of these weekends to see if any gains could be had. Seems like some members have good luck with this, others not so much.

It is insulated, with the exception of no insulation above my block off plate, which is on my to do list. I also plan to try running the stove without the surround one of these weekends to see if any gains could be had. Seems like some members have good luck with this, others not so much.
Just for clarification, I am not talking about your liner, I am talking about your fireplace in general, without the insulation you could be losing heat to the outside world.

And a post to see real world difference it makes for inserts:

@Slimdusty what insert is this? How large of an area is it trying to heat? Are there any confounding factors like a cathedral ceiling, lots of window area, etc.?

Just for clarification, I am not talking about your liner, I am talking about your fireplace in general, without the insulation you could be losing heat to the outside world.

And a post to see real world difference it makes for inserts:

Mellow, thanks for the links, i will read them soon. I was following you regarding insulation the fireplace, my fireplace originally had, still has a “heatilator” as I believe it to be called. Basically a steel box on the sides and back wall of fireplace, with insulation between the brick and steel. I left all that in place when I installed the insert as it was in good condition.