1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Does anyone use a buzz saw any more?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Backwoods Savage, Dec 6, 2010.

1. NHFarmer

NHFarmer Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southeastern NH
    We cut most all our wood with a cordwood saw and have done so for years. There are a few things that make it all work out nice. First you really need at least two people, with one person you tend to reach across the spinning blade and that is no fun.All our wood is cut and split in 4' lengths so two cuts gives you three 16" pieces. About 6-8" in diameter is about max.We pull the tractor along side the pile, start sawing and tossing into the truck. You can really work up a lot of wood in a hurry. Also in my opinion, 4' split and stacked wood drys quicker.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    How do you split a round that is 4 feet long? I've never tried, but I imagine a Fiskars couldn't even do that...
  3. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    I had a buzz saw rig that I bought in the late 80's and used whenever we had alot of pole length stuff to cut. I sold it last summer. I had an old Ford 8n tractor that I hooked a belt to to run the buzz rig. The tractor was in need of a major overhaul, so sold it and buzz rig. Also was getting to the point where no one around to help, so it was getting dangerous.

Dave
  4. NHFarmer

NHFarmer Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southeastern NH
    I am lucky enough to have a 4' splitter, but you would be suprised how easy you can split 4' by hand. It works best with straight frozen wood. You let the logs lay on the ground,stand with your legs on either side of the log and start swinging. Usually it will pop after a couple of swings.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Parents have an old one of these rigs out at their acreage.No blade guards,period.Just the frame/wide pulley setup for wide belt.Has a large 20" diameter 2" thick cast iron flywheel/counterweight with a few 3/4" partially drilled holes for lead weights just inside where the belt pulley is.They bought the place in 1981,older couple who sold it to them originally owned the 10+ acres of oak/hickory,it was part of 40 acres of timber used as a woodlot on their Century Farm.

Story I was told that the saw rig dates to the mid 30's,still has the original babbitt bearings, oilcups,hex nut & heavy washer on the 1 1/2" axle. is a bit stiff,but will turn with some effort.No blade (it wouldve been stolen years ago,if left on there).I have a 26 1/2" 68 tooth one hanging on my wall in family room next to a 100+ yr old Disston 5 ft 2 man crosscut however.

Kinda cool to see the old beast still out there next to the shed.Every few months I pour a bit of used oil on the oilcups/axle & spin it so it dont freeze solid.
  6. mlyons

mlyons New Member

Loc:
    South West CT
  7. mlyons

mlyons New Member

Loc:
    South West CT
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Links did not work but after googling it I found it okay. Looks like a good idea.
  9. hedge wood

hedge wood New Member

Loc:
    Eastern NE
    I have two buzz saws one is three point hitch that runs off the pto threw a gear box to pulleys and belts and the other one I build from scratch it is also three point hitch but has a 13 hp Honda engine that runs it. We buzz saw hedge wood all the time.
  10. mlyons

mlyons New Member

Loc:
    South West CT
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Those are cool. So much nicer than the old unguarded beast Granddad & my Uncles used.I imagine the freight from Germany would be outrageous with no US distributor/dealer though.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan

Nice looking saws. Sort of makes me want one! If only they were easier to sharpen. That would help a lot. I sharpened too many of those things already. But, if somebody had the saw and a nice powered jig for sharpening, that would be a nice saw to own. For sure better than those with no guards!

Thanks for posting that.
  13. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Here's the old beast out at parent's acreage.You'll see a random pile of various scrap iron on an old pallet on the back side,with an outer drum from a clothes dryer just behind the table...That's part of my stash,have some heavy gauge 1" to 2 1/2" pipe on the ground nearby.

Attached Files:

14. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Last 2 pics

Attached Files:

15. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    My father just picked up a buzz saw from a family friend. After looking at the saw and thinking it through, we decided that it would best serve as a conversation piece in our new sugar shack and we would continue to use our chain saws......
  16. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Remkel, why not sharpen that thing and give it a try? You might find it works quite nicely and a bit faster too.