Does Northstar "pressurize" like that Quadrafire 7100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweety

Oct 26, 2007
Central Illinois
I am about to purchase a zero clearance wood burning FP and prefer the Northstar face over the pricey Quadrafire 7100.
Does the Northstar have a convection air blower option so that I can pressurize the house?

not sure but im currently installing a 7100. we are taking the aux convetion air across the house down about 4' to draw cold air. the house will not be pressurized by the fireplace. but we should get some good air movement. we are not going to hook up the duct options.

Neither the 7100 or Northstar "pressurize" the house. The blower pulls air from under the fireplace (in the room) and blows it out the top. Basically the Northstar and 7100 are the same thing, except the 7100 does not come with a front and it has the optional "AUX" air hookup JB is talking about.

JB: let me know how that AUX air thing works, we have never hooked one up before and I'm curious if you notice any difference when using it.

No the north star does not have the extra air intake. The 7100 with the extra air intake will help in negative air situations by allowing you to take air from another part of your house or the outside. This air dumps into the blower chamber.

Hooking the "AUX" air on the 7100 up to an outside air source is a VERY bad idea in cold climates, there is no gasketed seal on this air hookup and you will get massive cold air problems.

I think many engineers and HVAC experts would debate the whole "pressurized" business. The bottom line is that it takes more BTU's to heat up colder outside air than it does to heat inside air (along the floor, etc.) - in cold climate A LOT MORE.

If pressurized systems really worked, then why doesn't your furnace take air from outside and put it into your ducts?

It would seem that if a house needed make up air, a air to air heat exchanger would be the best way to do it.

Webmaster said:
I think many engineers and HVAC experts would debate the whole "pressurized" business. The bottom line is that it takes more BTU's to heat up colder outside air than it does to heat inside air (along the floor, etc.) - in cold climate A LOT MORE.

If pressurized systems really worked, then why doesn't your furnace take air from outside and put it into your ducts?

It would seem that if a house needed make up air, a air to air heat exchanger would be the best way to do it.

agreed. we also are installing a whole house heat exchanger. that should get the air moving to begin with.

I am sure that each house presents it's own unique needs. We have geothermal heat with electric backup... Our utility company shut off the "winter rate" discount for "all electric heat" which is what geothermal is considered. As a result our electric bill on our 3,000 sq ft went to $1,200 last January (it was a high of $300 for the past six years). I refuse to pay the utility company that much again... we live in the woods and have all the wood we want for free. ALSO, three years ago we had our house "pressure tested" and were amazed at the amount of "leaks" around our "can" lights, utility access doors, dog door(even with it sealed), metal insert fireplace and electrical boxes. I can assure you that negative pressure is a very, very real thing. When I have the choice to introduce positive heated pressure (controlled by a thermostatic switch such as the 7100 offers) I am convinced that my BTU makeup will be very acceptable. If I am wrong... (just ask my wife about that possibility) we can seal the 6" feed and only use the "recycle" method of moving the air without needing to heat the outside air. We live mid-state Illinois and it rarely gets to zero and usually only hits a low of 10 for a week or so in January. The factory damper that is controlled from the fireplace front looks like it would close fairly well... I believe that I will build it with a removable door that can be manually sealed. I have ascertained that the Northstar will not pressurize the house and that the Northstar front is not of an appropriate size to replace the 7100 front.

the other differences between the quad and northstar are cosmetic and the quad has a slightly larger firebox.

Tweey, the NorthStar and 7100 have basically the same damper. The front has nothing to do with "pressurizing" the house? I am really quite confused by your statements. What makes you think the 7100 will pressurize the house? Yes it has a fresh air intake. Is it forced? No. The fresh air intakes on both the NorthStar and 7100 work exactly the same.

Also FYI you cannot seal the 6" fresh air, it is required per the manual. If you do Quad or Heat & Glo or a dealer will be unable to help troubleshoot any issues you have.

7100 has a fresh combstionair intake and an aux convection fan intake. if you conect the aux outside it will presurized the house. or you can draw air from in the house.

The AUX does not have a fan hooked up to it, its just natural draft. Hooking it up to the outside is just asking for cold air infitration.

Hey "Master of Fire" guy. Your post says that you are specialized in Quardafire among other units. Please read the brochure at http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/brochures/bro_7100fp.pdf and look at option B2. I will not be using option B1 or option C. I will employ option D (which I believe is mandatory unless you leave your firedoors open all the time (choke, choke)). Do you know something that the factory doesn't?
I spoke with the factory and they reiterate the positive pressure aspect. When I looked at the intake port it is evident that when closed... the convection air source is from below the firebox... when open, the intake is from the 6" pipe from outside. In either event... it is forced by the fan. From my personal observation and the brochure and the factory conversation... I would say that JohnnyBravo is correct.
Furthermore, the fan is thermostatically controlled... it won't kick on until the firebox is "up to an appropriate temperature".
and, JohnnyBravo.. I do know why my geothermal doesn't take in outside air. Geo has a big enough problem heating air that is already just below room temperature. It would never be able to heat outside air. That's part of the problem that negative pressure presents to Geo. Frankly, I don't know why house gas furnaces do not use an outside air source to pressurize... probably the cost ineffectiveness to use gas to heat the make-up air. Living in the forrest, wood is free... heat is almost free... ain't it great!

Ok now you have me wondering.... I have taken these units apart many times. I need to think a minute about what that AUX handle REALLY does.
---

Ok, it is possible they changed the function of the AUX handle on the front of the unit.
I have an engineer contact at Quad I will have to give him a call and ask about this brochure information.

Hmmm I need to pull up an exploded diagram an figure this out or I wont be able to sleep tonight!

----

I downloaded the newest manual and found this in it.

"NOTE: If you live in an area that experiences very cold winter months, you will want to pull in room air from your home as opposed to pulling in cold air from the outside of the home. This will eliminate creating a draft of cold outside air infiltrating your home when your are not using your fireplace."

I think this is where I have been confused about this AUX air. Basically since we are in a very cold climate area we have been told to never hook it up to outside air. It is possible that they have now sealed this off better but I doubt it since it dumps right into the convection blower.

Sorry for the confusion, I guess you both seem to be right, but I would not do it in a very cold climate region.

Basically if it works like it used to, hooking the AUX to the outside is like cutting a 6" hole in the side of your house. There is no way to fully close it from what I was told in the past.

Sounds to me like your energy company needs to be educated on them. That cost is not right. Did they charge you that much to run your refridgerator before you got Geothermal? Because that is about what you are using for electricity. If the system was installed right you should not ever need to run your electric backup. Something is not right

Status
Not open for further replies.