Does Stihl still make Rapid Micro chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KpR

Dec 17, 2014
Central NJ
I've been running my 026 with a couple of Stihl Rapid Micro-semi chisel chains (yellow tag/link--(26 RM 81 20" 81 DL 325 .063 BL SDS))
But am having a very tough time finding any Rapid micro replacements that are yellow tagged (or yellow linked) without the anti-kickback links (green link)
Does anyone know if they are even made anymore?
If not, any experience using the Rapid Super chains (RS) in place of the RM?
Thanks.

I've been running my 026 with a couple of Stihl Rapid Micro-semi chisel chains (yellow tag/link--(26 RM 81 20" 81 DL 325 .063 BL SDS))
But am having a very tough time finding any Rapid micro replacements that are yellow tagged (or yellow linked) without the anti-kickback links (green link)
Does anyone know if they are even made anymore?
If not, any experience using the Rapid Super chains (RS) in place of the RM?
Thanks.

I just received a Rapid Super (yellow) in .325 .063 and 81 links in the mail yesterday! I've used the Rapid Super in 3/8, .050 before (on my 026 with 18" and 20" bars) and like them a lot. They have a reputation of being more susceptible to dirt/stones than styles with a less pointed cutter but I'm mostly cutting clean wood and like to keep my chain touched up often anyway and haven't really noticed that aspect of the full chisels. Really, if you hit a stone you're gonna have to sharpen your chain regardless of what type it is.

I hear all the time that 20" bar is too long for a 50 cc saw but I swap my 026 between 18" and 20" and they both do a fine job, even with the 20" buried in a large Douglas Fir. In hardwood you just use a lighter touch and the 026 pulls right through it. So I don't know why so many recommend against 20" with only 50cc's. Maybe my 026 just makes better power (and wastes less of it) compared to other saws, I don't know. But it works and quite well at that. Big chips pile up fast. Maybe some people don't know how to sharpen a chain very well.

Reactions: KpR
Thanks!
I'll probably give a Rapid Super a try as well as keep my eye out for the more elusive yellow tagged RMs.

FWIW the RM3 chains really aren't bad at all. It's the RM2 version that has the problematically huge bumpers.

Reactions: Dairyman
I'll probably give a Rapid Super a try as well
Be careful. If you haven't used it before the Stihl yellow link chain (RM + RS) is a lot more twitchy and "grabby" (especially the RS). Be cognizant of situations that could precipitate reaction (i.e. limbing, bore cuts). Be aware where the tip of your saw is at all times.

Reactions: Lakeside
Be careful. If you haven't used it before the Stihl yellow link chain (RM + RS) is a lot more twitchy and "grabby" (especially the RS). Be cognizant of situations that could precipitate reaction (i.e. limbing, bore cuts). Be aware where the tip of your saw is at all times.

Of course awareness of the position of the tip of your bar is just good practice even when running green chains! You can say "Yes, but it's even more important when running yellow chains" but I don't see it that way. It's of ultimate importance either way.

There is one Stihl shop in my area that's reluctant to sell any yellow chain to homeowners. When I told them RS, they would give me RS3. I handed it right back and said I want the yellow link, standard chain and not the green low-kickback model. They looked at me as if I were some crazy nut who was determined to cut his leg off. Some dealers just can't help being the chainsaw nanny.

The other Stihl dealer in town just gives me what I want--no second guessing the customer. Needless to say, that's where I buy my chains.

RS (full chisel, yellow)
RS3 (full chisel, green, low-kickback)

RM (semi-chisel, yellow)
RM3 (semi-chisel, green, low-kickback)

I run RS chain almost exclusively on my saws, regardless of brand or displacement. Very happy.

FWIW the RM3 chains really aren't bad at all. It's the RM2 version that has the problematically huge bumpers.

I know they can cut reasonably well when well filed. I've been running chains without anti-kickback features almost exclusively for over 35 years (just a couple of exceptions). My new MS 261 C-M came with a RM3 mounted to a 20" bar. Disclaimer, this saw came right off a dealers shelf so maybe the chain had been dulled by abuse (even though the saw had never been fueled). But all it did was make very fine sawdust and cut very slow. Tediously slow. I filed down the depth gauges first. This helped but did not fix the problem. So I hand filed the cutting teeth, about three light strokes each one. This improved it but still not making big chips like I'm accustomed to. Then I hand filed the cutting teeth again, hard, about eight strokes each. Now it's cutting pretty good (about a 7 out of 10). I filed the depth gauges more and now it's making big chips with light to moderate bar pressure in the cut and cutting well, I grade it an 8 or 9 out of 10. But that was way too much time/work for those first two tanks of fuel. Plus it wears my files unnecessarily.

I have a RS chain (new in the box) and I know when I install that it'll be cutting at 8 or 9 right out of the box and a little light hand filing will bring it right up to a 9 or 10.

Funny this thread came up. I was at my local Stihl dealer with cash in my pocket. Was going to bring home a new MS 271 with a 18BC. I asked if they would give me the RS instead of the safety chain.She asked her father over the phone. Needless to say I walked out the door without the saw.

Funny this thread came up. I was at my local Stihl dealer with cash in my pocket. Was going to bring home a new MS 271 with a 18BC. I asked if they would give me the RS instead of the safety chain.She asked her father over the phone. Needless to say I walked out the door without the saw.

That might have been a blessing in disguise! Don't spend that cash in your pocket just yet. Add a few more bucks and you can get a MS 261 C-M. It has a significantly more power (1/2 HP more) and weighs a lot less (a whopping 1 LB 5 OZ less). Plus it tunes itself for changes in temperature, fuel quality and altitude.

I hear all the time that 20" bar is too long for a 50 cc saw but I swap my 026 between 18" and 20" and they both do a fine job, even with the 20" buried in a large Douglas Fir.
LOL. Oak is to Fir as Granite is to Pumice. I even shortened the 20" bar that came on my 036 Pro, due to the way it bogs in oak, when the full bar is buried. Yes, it cuts poplar and fir like a hot knife thru butter.

LOL. Oak is to Fir as Granite is to Pumice. I even shortened the 20" bar that came on my 036 Pro, due to the way it bogs in oak, when the full bar is buried. Yes, it cuts poplar and fir like a hot knife thru butter.

The problem with that reasoning is the people I hear disparaging 20" bars on 50cc's bars almost never qualify it with "if you need to cut big oak or other tough big wood". The other reason I think it's silly to dismiss a 20" bar on a 50cc saw is that I've had the a 20" bar on my 026 buried in Pacific Madrone which is on par with even Garry Oak and it cut just fine. And my 50 cc 261 M-C has even more power than my 026 so I expect it to be even more impressive when buried in hardwood. Admittedly, 90% of my cutting is in softwood so my hardwood chain doesn't get a ton of use. HP and torque matter more than the fact that it's only 50cc's. It's important that the depth gauges on your chain are setup for hardwood. That's why I have multiple chains. A chain that cuts poplar and fir like butter is not going to work very well on Oak or Madrone. It's really much more about having your chains setup for the various tasks than whether you have 50cc or 70cc's displacement. I've used 70cc saws that were complete dogs.

But yeah, if you have a less powerful 50cc saw and your chain sharpening skills are lacking, it's probably best to avoid burying your 20" bar in hardwoods (or perhaps any wood depending upon how poor the chain and engine).

My main point is that all 50cc saws should not be lumped together and dismissed outright as not being compatible with a 20" bar. Sometimes people are lacking in chain maintenance skills but that's not the fault of the saw.

Reactions: Jon1270
The problem with that reasoning is the people I hear disparaging 20" bars on 50cc's bars almost never qualify it with "if you need to cut big oak or other tough big wood". The other reason I think it's silly to dismiss a 20" bar on a 50cc saw is that I've had the a 20" bar on my 026 buried in Pacific Madrone which is on par with even Garry Oak and it cut just fine.
You are right, Woody. We all develop tunnel-vision sometimes, assuming all are in a situation similar to our own. I flat out don't cut any softwood. In fact, more than 80% of what I cut is oak, but I admit I've never heard of "Gerry oak". I cut white oak, red oak, swamp oak, chestnut oak, and ash. Occasionally I cut maple or walnut, but only if it falls in my own yard, and I need to get rid of it.

I just looked up Pacific Madrone (never seen it, myself), and it does indeed fall between white oak and red oak. This makes me wonder what you mean by "cuts just fine", as I have spent more hours in the last five years (I cut more than 20 cords per year) than any firewood cutter I know, and I've never seen a saw under 70cc pull a 20" bar "just fine" in oak. Of course, some also think 4-cylinder cars accelerate "just fine", but I'm not among them.

And my 50 cc 261 M-C has even more power than my 026 so I expect it to be even more impressive when buried in hardwood.
The Stihl 026 was rated 2.6 kW, the MS 261 is rated 3.0 kW, so yes... the 261 is a more capable saw. However, I find 20" marginal on even my 3.3 kW Stihl 036, when I have it buried nose-deep in red oak. It cuts fine when the wood is small enough to keep the nose out of the wood, but then one could say you'd be fine with a smaller bar, too.

It's important that the depth gauges on your chain are setup for hardwood. That's why I have multiple chains.
This is where you leave the rails, Woody. You do custom grinds for different wood species? Honestly, you must have too much time on your hands. I'm assuming most people aren't swapping chains for each type of wood they're sawing, and that most are using a factory grind on a Stihl 33-RS or 33-RSC chain, with their 50 or 60 cc saws.

On the subject, though, I usually take the depth gauges down about 20% below factory grind when it comes time to sharpen my 33-RS chains. Yes, this does require more HP per inch of bar, but it cuts oh-so-much faster when you have the displacement to back it up. However, my original comment about 20" being a lot of bar on a modern 50 cc saw were applicable to the factory grind, which is how I use each of my chains prior to first sharpening. Also, I do that on every chain I sharpen, I don't segregate them by what species I'm cutting.

A chain that cuts poplar and fir like butter is not going to work very well on Oak or Madrone. It's really much more about having your chains setup for the various tasks than whether you have 50cc or 70cc's displacement.
My point, exactly. I assume 99.99% of chainsaw owners use the same chain all day long, and aren't out there swapping chains for each tree they approach.

But yeah, if you have a less powerful 50cc saw and your chain sharpening skills are lacking, it's probably best to avoid burying your 20" bar in hardwoods (or perhaps any wood depending upon how poor the chain and engine).
Personal attack? What about the aforementioned factory sharpening?

Sometimes people are lacking in chain maintenance skills but that's not the fault of the saw.
Again, personal attack? I've cut over 100 cords in the last five years, you think my skills need more honing, or perhaps I'm just less patient than you? I give myself 3-4 days per year in the woods, to cut 15-20 cords, the rest of my "free days" are spent hauling half of it home (I leave the other half for the land owner) or splitting and stacking it. I don't have time to wait on a 50 cc saw wearing a 20" bar, at that pace of work. Perhaps I shouldn't assume all are in the same situation, but we all tend to think that way, sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzberry
You are right, Woody. We all develop tunnel-vision sometimes, assuming all are in a situation similar to our own. I flat out don't cut any softwood. In fact, more than 80% of what I cut is oak, but I admit I've never heard of "Gerry oak".

It's "Garry Oak", also known as "Oregon White Oak" (although it's native range is from California to British Columbia). It tops most North American charts in terms of hardness. You can learn more about it here:

http://www.zenaforest.com/blog1/2014/1/7/what-is-so-special-about-oregon-white-oak-part-3

garryoak2web.jpg

I just looked up Pacific Madrone (never seen it, myself), and it does indeed fall between white oak and red oak. This makes me wonder what you mean by "cuts just fine", as I have spent more hours in the last five years (I cut more than 20 cords per year) than any firewood cutter I know, and I've never seen a saw under 70cc pull a 20" bar "just fine" in oak. Of course, some also think 4-cylinder cars accelerate "just fine", but I'm not among them.

That's funny, I own a Mazda CX-5 with a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine and I think it accelerates just fine. It's a rare traffic pattern that I can ever floor it. It's faster than the muscle cars of the 1960's in a 0-60 test. But in my mind, all cars (excepting exotics) are slow because I ride three different 1 litre class Ducati motorcycles. But the Mazda is a reliable and capable performer for everyday driving so I don't get carried away wishing I had something even faster. It wouldn't get me there any quicker and I have the motorbikes when I want to pass everything in my way and be the fastest thing on the road.

When you say, "makes me wonder what you mean by "cuts just fine"", I mean it goes right through a 20" round of Madrone. If I had a 80cc saw in my truck parked 30 yards away, yes, it would make each cut slightly faster, but I wouldn't walk over to get another saw because that would take more time and energy than just making the cuts with the saw in my hand. If felling a large tree or bucking a lot of hardwood or softwood much bigger than 20", yes, I would grab the more powerful saw. But the well optimized smaller saw will go right through it with light pressure. It would take a lot of cuts in big hardwood to make me want to grab a bigger saw. That's what I mean when I say "cuts just fine".

The Stihl 026 was rated 2.6 kW, the MS 261 is rated 3.0 kW, so yes... the 261 is a more capable saw. However, I find 20" marginal on even my 3.3 kW Stihl 036, when I have it buried nose-deep in red oak. It cuts fine when the wood is small enough to keep the nose out of the wood, but then one could say you'd be fine with a smaller bar, too.

It looks like your 70cc saw is only rated 10% more HP than the 261 C-M. Did you know that there are a lot of things that could cause your saw to produce 10% less power or consume (waste) 10% more power than if everything was optimal? I've found by optimizing for efficiency allows a smaller saw to pull a bigger bar without straining. Things like chains without extra anti-kickback components dragging in the cut help quite a bit in bigger wood (even if not so much in smaller wood). Plenty of bar oil that's not too thick (use winter oil on cooler days), proper chain tension, fuel mix, carb adjustment, etc. etc. etc. By far the biggest one is a chain that is very sharp and cuts absolutely true. A lot of people unconsciously file their chains slightly unevenly L/R. While this is inconsequential on smaller cuts it can easily rob you of 10-20% of your total power in a big cut. I've found I can make big chips at high rpm's with a 50cc saw in 20" hardwood. Would a saw with 10% more HP cut even faster? Of course, everything else being equal, but it wouldn't quite be 10% faster.

This is where you leave the rails, Woody. You do custom grinds for different wood species? Honestly, you must have too much time on your hands. I'm assuming most people aren't swapping chains for each type of wood they're sawing, and that most are using a factory grind on a Stihl 33-RS or 33-RSC chain, with their 50 or 60 cc saws.

The factory grind only lasts until you sharpen it the first time. And I've never had a chain that cut faster new (at least not in the last 15 or 20 years) than it did after a light hand file. You admit above that you only cut hardwoods. I cut both. The factory chain is setup for hardwoods in terms of the height of the depth gages. Stihl recommends lowering the depth gauges for softwoods for faster cutting. Maybe Stihl has left the rails? A blade matched to the task at hand? Loony! LOL! In reality, I've found softwoods cut faster with the gauges filed further than spec. And most hardwood (Garry oak can be the exception around here) cut fastest with the softwood depth on the gauges.

The thing is, there is no problem going from hardwood to softwood with the depth gauges suitable for hardwoods (although you will be cutting about 20% more slowly than optimum) but not vice versa. So, if you primarily cut hardwoods, just use those chains for everything. But if you primarily cut softwoods, it makes sense to have a special chain for extra hard wood. Since I rotate a number of chains to insure I always have a suitable one ready to go, I also keep a sharp chain handy for serious hardwood duty. Yes, if I'm going to be cutting any serious amount of Madrone, Garry Oak or even Maple, I'll put on a sharp chain that cuts hardwood well. I'll sometimes use this (hardwood) chain if I'm going to be doing a bunch of windfall, scrappy wood, small limbs etc. because it's not as likely to grab and pull the small stuff around - it's smoother and I'll never miss the faster cutting speed as I would if I were making lots of rounds out of big Douglas Fir or even mature Alder. Big green Alder cuts more like a softwood and can benefit greatly from lowered depth gauges (commonly called "rakers").

On the subject, though, I usually take the depth gauges down about 20% below factory grind when it comes time to sharpen my 33-RS chains. Yes, this does require more HP per inch of bar, but it cuts oh-so-much faster when you have the displacement to back it up. However, my original comment about 20" being a lot of bar on a modern 50 cc saw were applicable to the factory grind, which is how I use each of my chains prior to first sharpening. Also, I do that on every chain I sharpen, I don't segregate them by what species I'm cutting.

Nobody segregates chains by species! The idea is to have a couple different grinds so you always have a suitable cutter for a wide variety of likely conditions.

I assume 99.99% of chainsaw owners use the same chain all day long, and aren't out there swapping chains for each tree they approach.

People don't swap chains for each tree they approach but they definitely put different chains on for different tasks. It only takes 2 minutes to swap to a fresh chain.

Personal attack? What about the aforementioned factory sharpening?

I think you're a little sensitive here because I don't see the personal attack. When I say people might be lacking in chain sharpening skills, I'm not pointing at you, I'm saying that might be a reason why a 20" bar might overwhelm a 50cc saw. Another reason might be low compression, misadjusted carb, bent or worn bar, new tight bar, engine not broken in, etc. There are a lot of reasons why a 20" bar could overwhelm a 50cc saw (or a 70cc saw for that matter). And it's so commonly stated as fact that a 20" bar is too big for a 50cc saw, I'm assuming a number of factors are at play. So don't take it personally.

The fact that a 20" bar works well for me, even in the 10% of wood I cut that's truly hard, tells me that those who claim it's silly haven't optimized their setup. I run a 18" bar about 75% of the time but that's mostly for it's easier handling in tight spaces when there is no benefit to the 20" bar. In reality, I generally have to read the bar marking to know which bar I have on there.
There is no doubt that more cc's can compensate for a lot of small issues. I've found a smaller engine makes me more sensitive to my equipment and how I'm using it. There is no doubt that a bigger saw could save me a couple of minutes here and there on more demanding tasks but the time thing is really minimal and doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the big picture.

Reactions: Ashful
I agree with just about everything you say, Woody... except I still wouldn't run 20" on any modern 50cc saw. Also, our cutting modes are different, since I never have an opportunity to make just a single cut or two in a big log. If I'm putting chain to wood, it's for the purpose of bucking a tree I've just felled and skidded, usually meaning more than a dozen cuts in the same log. I'll take the 30 seconds to put down the 036, and go grab the 064!

One minor correction, that old 3.3 kW Stihl 036 is 62.5 cc, not 70cc. But your point is right, 22% larger displacement for only 10% more HP. Of course, that's why I usually use the 064! My 036 is my least-used saw, I spend most time with the 064.

For what it's worth I run a RS chain on my ms311, 20" bar, I personally love the setup. I'm not cutting 25 cords a year though either. I cut about 3 cords a year of oak, cherry, and aspen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk