Does the Breckwell Big E have an outside air option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
I'm looking at purchasing a Big E but I don't see a mention of an outside air option on their website.

Thanks,
Andy

Yes you can hook it up. It has a 2" air tube out the back.

Eric
330-876-0200

Andrew Churchill said:
I'm looking at purchasing a Big E but I don't see a mention of an outside air option on their website.

Thanks,
Andy

You will need to get some PVC pipe.look for a thimble thats(outside air kit ready).

buildingmaint said:
I hooked mine up to outside air , but I did not see any major differances .

You did not see a bigger or hotter flame? I need to let some outside air in when i have the fireplace or the big E running so the fire gets enough air.

Before I hooked up the outside air , it just sucked air out of the room the stove sits in. No I did not notice a bigger or hotter flame. Most of the time my stove runs on the #1 setting on the HIGH/LOW setting on the control board. So I don't have a large flame most of the time. I run mine on a programable stat, works well.

buildingmaint said:
Before I hooked up the outside air , it just sucked air out of the room the stove sits in. No I did not notice a bigger or hotter flame. Most of the time my stove runs on the #1 setting on the HIGH/LOW setting on the control board. So I don't have a large flame most of the time. I run mine on a programable stat, works well.

i run my stove on #4 all the time. it will suck out the room air and send it outside.i think i'm going to try the vent that you install in the wall (behind the stove). the one that closes automaticly and has a screen.

People use it when they use there wood stove or fireplace.

WOW # 4 all the time? My house would be 120 if I did that . Ran mine on #3 manual for about 20 hours one time and I got the house to a real uncomfortable heat leval [90-100] I think. I would use about 7-8 tons if I ran mine on #4 , I use about 180 bags a year now.

buildingmaint said:
WOW # 4 all the time? My house would be 120 if I did that . Ran mine on #3 manual for about 20 hours one time and I got the house to a real uncomfortable heat leval [90-100] I think. I would use about 7-8 tons if I ran mine on #4 , I use about 180 bags a year now.

Its in the cellar and heats a 1650 Sf house down staires and up.6 to 7 tons a year.still better then oil.

We are adding a Insert into the fireplace this year. between the two it should only be 5 tons this next winter.

Yes, all of the Breckwell units do have an outside air option. Most people do not need to hook up an outside air pipe as they have enough air in the room to supply the combustion process. However, anytime that a unit is installed in a basement, or a very well insulated home, or a manufactured home, an outside air intake is required.

For basement installations if you have a closeable outside air register in your basement that will suffice just fine.

stovedoc said:
Yes, all of the Breckwell units do have an outside air option. Most people do not need to hook up an outside air pipe as they have enough air in the room to supply the combustion process. However, anytime that a unit is installed in a basement, or a very well insulated home, or a manufactured home, an outside air intake is required.

For basement installations if you have a closeable outside air register in your basement that will suffice just fine.

I have just set mine up in the basement piped the exhaust out a central chimney. I have the intake open and not piped anywhere. How much of a factor is this? I have two vents in the ceiling to the next floor and haven't started up the stove yet.

As long as the exhaust goes up and out the chimney, the intake will just create draft from other parts of the house.

I guess I don't see the issue. Could you dumb it down for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.