Does the Fisher Mother In Law exist or not/Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
I have a fisher stove i posted questions about a while ago. Fishers stoves are identified by two letters on the door if i am correct with the most popular stoves being the GP and GM for grandpa and grandma. My stove says fisher on the front across both doors. on the inside right door is says MI. I've had one person tell me it stands for mother in law, im not sure if he was serious or not. ive also had the administrator and another guy tell me it doesnt exist. so does anyone else know if this stove was ever produced. If the mother in law wasnt produced what else would MI stand for???
ive anyone is wondering the stove is heating our basement+the other 1800 feet of our ranch style flat ceiling house quite well(75 degrees in the room im in right now). it does seem to be a little bit of a wood hog...but not to bad. have been burning since mid-october 24/7 and have burned about 1.5 cord.

thanks for the help

ccb

I have a very old GM that is stamped on both doors. I beleve they also made a baby bear. never heard of a MI. Can you post some pics and maybe some dimensions?

does that stove give you problems?? ahhh probably not a mother in law then.....MI could mean it was built in MIchigan

My guess is that MI could have identified the licensee that made the stove? Or the foundry that made the doors. Fishers were made at a number of different plants.....and by different licensees.

Every fisher I have seen said something or another on the doors - Fischer, for instance, and maybe even the Model Name.

Tom....there you go, almost changing history with one snide remark. In 500 years, they'll be digging through the internet archives trying to figure out where the heck a pic of the Mother in Law stove is.....

Is that the model which was known to make a lot of noise?

i kind of figured you were kidding...the whole is it loud remark gave it to me. it does make the most sense so far.....

the stove says fisher on the front across both doors and mi on the inside....

Status
Not open for further replies.