Does the world need another pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Is it a welcome addition?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

millerized

Jan 5, 2015
Inwood, WV
Just wondering . I'm testing a electricity free gravity fed 'decorative' stove I built a few months ago. I'll call it decorative, since it's kinda unique and a bit more pleasing to me than the other gravity fed stoves I've seen. I've got about $500 in the whole thing, to include the 16' of DuraVent.

Tested it outside for a week or so to make sure it wouldn't 'back up'...flame into the feeder box. When that worked, I tested it some more. Full open draft', low draft...trying to see if it was even worth the time to put it in the house. Worked each time except when the pellets would bridge and not feed. That's been remedied now. Time to move it indoors.

House is 1300ish sf on the split top level. It includes the upper split (kit/lr/dr), and a lower split (2 baths, 3 beds) and a 600ish basement (laundry, storage, 'armory'). Figured I'd try it upstairs first.

I put it into my living room. WAY too hot for the living/dining/kitchen area (upper split level). That impressed me, because we keep the back door open so the cats can access the cat door in the storm door 24/7. (Unless we're cleaning, that back door stays open for the cats). Upstairs temps would stay in the high 70's and low 80's unless the window was cracked. But....it barely touched the bedrooms (3' lower than the living room) or the basement (12'+ lower) temperature wise, even with the return air vents fully open. I proved to myself it was safe enough and worked fine indoors, and outside of a hole in the roof and living room ceiling, I wasn't out anything. If it'll heat that area, it will do fine in the basement and might heat a bit more than 3 rooms.

Moved it to the basement. After figuring out the piping arrangements, getting the holes drilled (fresh air and 3" pellet vent), and everything installed, we fired it up. It works well, with just a few adjustments on the burn chamber, it spends all day at about 450-500F stack temp. Certain pellets need bigger slots, some need smaller. All seem to work, just some work better than others.

The entire house now stays at about 72-73, with very limited assistance from the heat pump. Fan circulates the air nicely, and the stairs to the basement show a good air mix, with very little stratification of the heat. It's warm everywhere, not just in the basement.

Anyway, we'll continue to test, evaluate and refine this one. Once I'm happy with this thing, I have a bigger one on the drawing board. I have other designs in mind, but this one will work for now.

(Oh, and I'll never paint another one white again.....I just wanted to check flame spread, and the discoloration proved it worked just fine)
IMAG0520.jpg IMAG0514.jpg

it certainly does look much better than the other one i've seen.

That would be perfect for our hunting camp without electric if it's affordable .the wiseway is to expensive.

Guesstimating about $1200-$1500 plus shipping. But that cost is based on making it pretty enough to put in a living room....TIG welded seams, classy/better hardware, ceramic paint in a few different colors and possibly a custom cast iron door. Now if folks want UL/FDA/USDA/BATFE-EIEIO listings, lifetime guarantees/warranties/first born accountability, the price goes up from there.

Keeping this as industrial as it is now, with clean MIG welds, the steel door, HiTemp black spray paint and Home Depot hardware, I could probably get $1000-$1200 for them all day long. It's all niche market, since you can find pellet stoves everywhere for 'that' price. (or so I keep hearing) Someone wanting one that doesn't need electricity is going to be a small market.

It was 68 in the house this morning when I woke up, heat pump wasn't on yet....and 6F outside. I think I'm on the right track with everything, but we'll keep refining. I've got some money coming in the door tonight, so it'll go right back out tomorrow afternoon towards more steel. Maybe I'll make the next one out of 4", instead of 3.5". Also going to get some stainless to work on the water jacket for the back. Might as well heat something else while I'm at it. Small open tank on the front for humidification? Hmmm....I love being able to tinker ;-)

Great project. I wouldn't mind having one just to tinker. Keep us posted and best of luck with your venture.

No blower noise??? Sign me up.

I'm thinking I could replace the St. Croix in the living room and have pretty and heat in the living area even when there is a power failure. I have another stove in the basement to do the heavy lifting. Although, it would be nice to have the gravity fed in larger size, because no offense, but it ain't getting as cold there in WV as it was here this morning at -18. So, when the power is out (like it was for 2 hours this morning the next town over because of an emergency transformer change - they projected 5 hours), it would keep the main floor of 1000 sq/ft a nice 70 degrees all by itself if it had to.

New basket ready to try. Just experimenting. Current one has the 'fingers' on the bottom warping. This one has a support in the center.
Only takes a few seconds to change it...next cleaning we'll see what it'll do.
IMAG0553.jpg

Reactions: bogieb
Hey Miller it's Daryl.

That thing is super wicked. I need to come look at it.

Think you could make a smaller.one for a small work shop?

First, your ingenuity is awesome. Excellent thinking and work. As Smokey pointed out, though, if it can't get all the necessary approvals to satisfy insurers, I think the market will be small. But if you obtain that, I think you may have something.

We are thinking of building a new home in next few years (our final one) and I would consider something like this because floor plan will be open and home relatively small and well insulated. Which, as I think about it, brings up another point - how to control heat across wide range of outside temps and different homes? If no thermostat, I'm thinking little temp control - but is that correct?

Temperature control is done simply by the draft to an extent.
More air means more combustion means faster pellet use. Opposite does...well...the opposite.
But...Unfortunately, they run how they run. You lose precise temperature control without a mechanically metered feed.
What you do gain is the ability to put your pellet stove in all of your off-grid cabins, garages and sheds.
I can get a 300F all day , or push 650F just by changing the basket. Wider basket fingers = more pellets fed = more heat.

Again, it's all testing and development. It's not a cure-all, and definitely not the next big thing. This one is just to test out the burn chamber's ability to burn.
What's coming up next will be the sale maker. (yeah, it's ambitious, but.....)
Imagine this as the front of the stove:
untitled.png

Hey Miller it's Daryl.

That thing is super wicked. I need to come look at it.
Think you could make a smaller.one for a small work shop?
I have some 3" in the shop I'm going to play with eventually.
I think 3 will be the smallest I could get to work efficiently, since the burn chamber would then be 2.5, with a 1.5" combustion area.
Not sure how far I can go down before I lose meaningful combustion where you don't have to de-soot the chimney daily....and one reason the next one will be 4" instead of 3.5".

Pretty cool! Good Luck! How will you clean the smaller X piece out in the middle?

Pretty cool! Good Luck! How will you clean the smaller X piece out in the middle?
I can get a small flexible brush in each bend of it from the top of the door. Takes some getting used to, but it works.
One good thing is that when it runs like it did last night (500F all night, my basement was at 85 all night!), all that soot in the centers burns out on it's own. Even the backside of the damper was clean this AM.

This diamond shape was just an attempt to make something work. Now I can make it pretty. The 'artistic' version will be wide open and very easy to clean.

Reactions: bags
I like it. keep the updates coming

Pretty neat, pretty liable too. First time one of your customers roasts their abode, thats the end of you. Product liability is a touchy thing. Attorneys love it. Defendants hate it. It's been said that attorney's throw everything on a wall and whatever sticks, they go after. Your 'invention' will stick real well.

Product liability is what really drives pricing, moreso than any other factor.

Just sell them for outside use only. If someone wants to use it in their house then its on them. :)

Shed heaters. ;)

But getting UL listing is nothing more than throwing money at it. It's not about making a safe product, it's about not making an unsafe product and paying to put their logo on your item. Look at all the UL listed extension cords and appliances that caused problems. UL listing is just a pay to play organization. Right amount of money, and you can sell razor blade pacifiers to children.

That said, if I do get interested in selling these outside of friends/family, they will get their listing or whatever is required to make them usable. If nothing else, safe distances on an aluminum or steel plate attached to the back.

(or at least enough legalese to make them stupid resistant. I donated a kidney to a lawyer...I think I'm good for it:p)

Just sell them for outside use only. If someone wants to use it in their house then its on them. :)

It don't work that way as you already know. You do live in the United States of Amerika don't you? (yes, I spelled it right).

Shed heaters. ;)

But getting UL listing is nothing more than throwing money at it. It's not about making a safe product, it's about not making an unsafe product and paying to put their logo on your item. Look at all the UL listed extension cords and appliances that caused problems. UL listing is just a pay to play organization. Right amount of money, and you can sell razor blade pacifiers to children.

That said, if I do get interested in selling these outside of friends/family, they will get their listing or whatever is required to make them usable. If nothing else, safe distances on an aluminum or steel plate attached to the back.

(or at least enough legalese to make them stupid resistant. I donated a kidney to a lawyer...I think I'm good for it:p)

It's interesting conceptually. Practical? Thats a crapshoot.

If I were scared of lawyers and lawsuits, I would never have gotten involved in firearms manufacturing.

So what are you alluding to?

Firearms manufacturing has more laws regulations and alphabet agencies up your but. That he isn't easily scared.

That's what he was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.