Does this ash look right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
This might be a dumb question...

New to pellet stoves. Englander 25pdvc

I opened the door after burning tonight and tonight to myself, hmm, that ash looks funny.

It's not gray and fine like wood stove ash, but more granular and brown..

Am I nuts? Or is this okay? And if it's not, I wonder what could cause it?

aqyjyre4.jpg

9ubyme3u.jpg

ezeqe5er.jpg

The stuff in the burnpot looks like clinker material to me. All pellets produce it to some degree. Lower grade pellets produce more.

Looks ok

With pellets don't expect powder and each brand may even produce a different texture. The big thing I look for is that it can be swept or scraped off the pot. Some pellets produce a resinous ash that clings more, some hang like post nasal drip and the better pellets at least blows, wipes or scrapes away. Some are good enough there is very little ash to deal with. Burn a few brands to get a handle on various pellets is my suggestion. I too was concerned about ash texture at first.

I have seen granular/brown ash with some pellet brands. Looks ok to me too.

Looks like a softwood or blended ash with high moisture content. That is what I get with NEWP or Green Supreme, also get a sticky residue.What brand is it and what are the specs?

Looks like a softwood or blended ash with high moisture content. That is what I get with NEWP or Green Supreme, also get a sticky residue.What brand is it and what are the specs?
Surprised no one has asked what Pellets OP Burned...

Reactions: Love the Heat
The ash in the burnpot looks normal. The ash on your fingers in the first picture looks damp though.

Status
Not open for further replies.