Does this cap setup look awful?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyj124

Nov 1, 2014
New England
Hi All!

First, thanks for the wealth of information I've gained by lurking on the site!

Second, I'm installing my chimney liner from chimney liner depot today, and it came with a screen cap. I have a masonry/slate top on my chimney and I'm not sure if I should really use it- but I went ahead and modified the one they sent and turned it into a screen to see how it could work. See the pic. I feel like something is better than nothing here and it came with the kit so it's not a big deal if I scrap it. Any thoughts are welcome!

8739bc8b1becf4eb77e45fe602724921.jpg

Not awful, but the screen would be more effective at keeping critters out if it went all the way to the top stone plate. The crown stones look like they could use a repointing.

Agreed on both fronts. Unfortunately I needed that inch and a half to slip the screen up over the top plate, I couldn't get the liner up into it with the screen on. As far as the chimney itself... That maintenance will be done at a later date by a professional.

While I was up there I also made a cap for the third flue that is empty and has always dripped a bit when it rains hard. Came out alright for a first timer!

aa30f64f1a1ee93ceee17a4cbe9fd2a4.jpg

That looks like my top did before I had it redone, it used to leak too but I used (still do) coat the stone and cement with siloxane every 3- years to waterproof it.

The only reason I can see that one may not want a screen is if it starts to clog up with creosote. But even if it does start to accumulate some creosote, it's a good indicator that something's wrong. It happened to me at first, but when it did, I figured out that I needed to modify my technique (and dry my fuel better). I haven't seen a bit of it since (no birds or squirrels, either...)

Status
Not open for further replies.