does this chimney look blocked???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lime4x4

Nov 18, 2005
Northeast Pa
I removed a couple of bricks from the bottom of my chimney to use the second flu.That flue was used for a coal/wood stove on the first floor probably about 40 years ago.I'm planning on cleaning it out and installing another ss liner in it.I've already removed about 7 5 gallon buckets of crap that came out so far

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 631
lime4x4 said:
I removed a couple of bricks from the bottom of my chimney to use the second ss="spellchecked_word">flu.That</SPAN> flue was used for a coal/wood stove on the first floor probably about 40 years ss="spellchecked_word">ago.I'm</SPAN> planning on cleaning it out and installing another ss liner in it.I've already removed about 7 5 gallon buckets of crap that came out so far

I'll loan you my 7 1/2 inch barrel .44 magnum and hot loads. That looks like the easiest way from here on out. You will have to supply your own goggles and ear plugs.

That actually looks a lot like my chimney did in 1989. My wife was hurt in a car accident and my mother-in-law and father-in-law came up to take care of her while I was at work. One day I came home and the FIL said "Boy that stove burns a lot longer when I put those wet logs from the wood pile in it. I asked how long he had been doing that. "About a week."

I gave them fifty bucks and told them to go have a nice dinner for helping so much. The minute they cleared the driveway I was headed for the roof. The 12 X 8 chimney looked like that one in your picture except for about a two inch hole in the middle. I smacked three trash bags full of crap out of it before they got back. And hauled all of the wet wood back out into the woods and hid it.

forgot to mention that pic is from the bottom up..I figure i have about 15 feet to go till i reach where the stove was origianlly installed into the flue then it should get easier..cleaning from the bottom sucks...lol but it's the easyest way.

doktorfaustus77 said:
Forgive my ignorance but why did the wet logs cause the blockage? Thats wild I've never seen something like that.

All I can figure is that the slow smoldering burn combined with the mosture cooling the flue caused everything that went up that chimney to stick to the flue tiles. Luckily it was mostly ash.

I haven't seen it again and don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.