Does this look safe to you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Hearth Supporter
Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
I am considering putting a super 27 or summit in my fireplace and I would like it to stick out as far as possible. I have 5 inches between stove top and the lintel. (with the legs option) I ran across this at the chimney liner depot or some website. It is an offset made for inserts. It looks like it will work, but it looks sort of sketchy.....It would push the stove into the living room another 6 inches, but I am sure that it will effect draft. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Offset-Insert-box.jpg
    Offset-Insert-box.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 519
For what you want to do, thats about your best bet. Either that, or look for a rear exhausting stove.

What's it made of? Stainless? There was something like this on top of our old Fisher insert and it rotted out.

Elk (used to post here) had something similar that he made and his works fine.

So long as its porperly made out the right materials (like stainless double wall) and the diameter of the pipe is continuous throughout, it ought to work nicely.

A 15, 30 or 45 degree stainless steel elbow as needed would work much better. Easier on the draft and will let you pull a brush all the way down into the firebox for much simpler chimney cleaning.

By the picture, I can't really tell if that is a door on the front or not. To BroB's point, how do you plan on cleaning this thing? Or is that a trap door on the front? Interesting!!

I have a similar one on my Quad 3100i and it works fine. It does affect draft a little but the change wasn't super huge and was less than I expected. Mine has a little cleanout door on the front you open to vacuum out the stuff when cleaning the chimney.

Neat, I would use a 45 degree turn, but I can't fit it under the rearmost lintel. This will sneek under it and let me pull the stove out. It is stainless.
Thanks for the input!
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.