does your spouse like the house cooler than you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She must be getting used to the stove, because it WAS at a constant 66 before we put the stove in. Spoiled.[/quote]

Well, there is the other term that gets them all jazzed up "high maintenance". Ooooh how they hate those 2 words. But like she has taught me..." Happy wife is a happy life"

is weird, when we were on oil heat only we kept the thermostat at 65 and I was always freezing and she was comfortable. Now we have this wonderful pellet stove and I find I am turning the thermostat down to 68ish and she keeps turning it up to 72ish.

About 74°… Upstairs is 70°-74° depending on the room. Even the un-insulated basement is 74° (84° closer to wood eater, Fahrenheit sucks most of the Hot air and throws it upstairs)

I like it warm and she likes it warm (took a year or three to get there) ;) Currently in shorts. No shirt. No socks. Mmmm Comfy...

Reactions: Hdhogger
About 74°… Upstairs is 70°-74° depending on the room. Even the un-insulated basement is 74° (84° closer to wood eater, Fahrenheit sucks most of the Hot air and throws it upstairs)

I like it warm and she likes it warm (took a year or three to get there) ;) Currently in shorts. No shirt. No socks. Mmmm Comfy...

Dex, Please don't tell me these are undershorts. j/k!

My wife is happy with the house at 70. I'm good with 68 to 70. When we used oil the stat never went much above 62 or 63. Last year we kept it about 67. Next year we might break into the low 70s. We seem to add a degree or two each year.

My programmable thermostat has a special setting on it for my wife. It's called Heat Flash Mode. It varies the temp from 62 to 80 depending on her infra red signature!!!! :p

Reactions: St_Earl
My programmable thermostat has a special setting on it for my wife. It's called Heat Flash Mode. It varies the temp from 62 to 80 depending on her infra red signature!!!! :p

lmao. my wife suggested i talk about hot flashes in this thread. i said no way. but since the ice is broken...

My little one complains about being cold in the middle of summer while in the Caribbean. its incredible, she is always cold, therefore our house is always toasty which is fine by me. It puts me on stove duty. between the wood and pellet stove, we try to keep the house at 75 to 80. when its 2 degrees outside 80 seems very nice.

I grew up living upstairs of a 2 1/2 story huge A frame. Huge wood burner right below my bedroom. it was normally 85-90 degrees upstairs with open second floor (vaulted living room at 2 1/2 stories!) it was an awesome house but i would live with my window open in the middle of winter... ever since i've had wood heat and like it warm. in the summer i like it cold in the house. Since i bought this 2700 sq ft cape cod with oil heat, I can't really afford 72-74 like I would like... that's 74 dowstairs and 68-70 upstairs... so after one expensive winter and a hungry fireplace the thermostat is now set at 68. Warm socks and sweatshirt..., I'm installing my Lopi insert this weekend!

Let her stay in the next room then, anybody here thats says the whole house is uniform temps with a pellet is full of chit!, can be 70+ in living, next room dining room it's 60, kitchen even colder!

The only experience I had previously with wood burning was in W.Va.-I was still living with my parents--it was a split entry and down stairs was the "family room" with a wood burner down there.....Dad would purchase a couple of pick up truck loads of split wood and stack it in the garage,and would have a few fires a week when we were down there in colder temps......The pellet stove started out as Debbye's idea--we were considering what to do to get rid of the HHO....I was thinking heat pump,she mentioned these stoves......Started researching,found Hearth.com......She likes it a little warmer but its neat being able to run around in joggers and a pair of socks in January ! And after taking the dog out for a walk,75::F inside feels darned good !

No spouse to deal with heeya. Brother wears flannel long sleeve shirt and jeans me t shirt n jeans. Low to mid 70's in here he never says anything one way or the other but then I do all the stove work so he wouldn't dare whine.

Reactions: St_Earl
house is at 65 right now, we are both comfortable. When it gets up to 70 it is way to hot 67-68 good.
background info, heating 4000 sq ft open concept house, stove on 5 keeps house at 70 if 30 degrees or above outside
house drops 1 degree for every 2 degrees outside below 30
been about 19-20 degrees here so house stays 65
we are comfortable so we are fine
she is actually more comfortable than me

Status
Not open for further replies.