Does Your Wife like to Feed the Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I had been outside resplitting some wood then handed it through the basement window to my wife ( 4 loads of wood. ) When I went inside to stack it the wife had been feeding the wood stove and it was 83 in the basement. It's a good thing we have 21 face cord.

Zap

Wife feeds it in the morning since she wakes up earlier then me and all day when I'm at work since she works from home. I only get to feed it in the evenings and weekends.

Feeding the stove is like a new hobby for her. Just this morning, I went downstairs to get some coffee. Stood in front of the stove enjoying the heat, and she's shouting from upstairs to "not touch it!" Next thing she's racing downstairs to prevent me from adjusting the air or dampner. She had the stove at 625 and flue stable at 750. She was very pleased with herself. I just giggled. ;-P

She grew up with wood heat. So no training, transition, or conditioning required.

Doesn't like going out to the wood pile, though.

We don't have a stove...but a wood boiler in the basement. Not only does she not mind loading the boiler as needed but she just called me at work to inform me she just dropped 4 wheelbarrow loads of wood into the basement...I have to stack it when I get home. Somehow I feel I got the better deal this time! :)

Only a month in our first house with a wood stove and fireplace. She blew me off when I tried to teach her how to start a fire. She quickly learned to retake the lesson. We work such different hours that she adds a little at 5AM, I load it to the top at 7AM, she loads it at 2:30PM, and I run the stove when I get home from work. We go back and forth. With the weather dropping into the single digits tonight, it's in her best interest to keep it up :coolsmile:

My wood supply is about 2 feet from the furance and the wife does pretty well with it,and she also cleans it out ever time.
She can run this beast pretty good I am only better with it when is very cold out.

My girlfriend doesn't mind loading or starting the boiler. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, she'll occasionally go out and put a few splits on so it'll be nice and warm in the morning.

She used to help me get the firewood from the wood shed, until last spring when she got her foot caught under a broken pallet and broke two bones in the top of her foot.

She still tells everyone that I pushed her down the stairs.

Yes and unfortunately a bit overzealous with the feeding of the furnace as she tends to get the house too hot, well 76-78 anyway which is too hot for me, although I do only wear shorts and a tee around the house in the winter anymore.

I stoke it up at night and revive it from coals in the morning. I have a nice warm fire blazing for her when she gets up.

I stoke it up again before heading off to work and she keeps it going through the day. Sometimes if she's too cold in the evening, she'll throw on a few splits. I like it at 74F and she likes it hot.

Ya, I'm up once in the night to reload. I need to get a bigger stove. Load before bed, pull coals forward in the morning...

I was thinking.... maybe the title of this thread should be "Does your husband feed the woodstove" :) In this house the answer would be no.

Shari

My 16 yr old daughter does a great job managing the fire. My wife is starting to get involved but between my daughter and I she really doesnt have to. As for all the wood processing up to putting the splits in the fire - thats all me... which is fine, I like it.

I have the same as Got Wood, my 15 year old daughter maintains the stove when I am out. My son ( 10 ) does it when I am around, and the wife now does it because she likes being cold less that putting in wood.
Everyone stacks when I have large piles, and we usually have an assembly line from the garage to the wood bin by the stove. Chipping in is not optional around here, because if I gave them the option they would not. And I think chipping in around the house builds character or some other good thing.

Shari said:
I was thinking.... maybe the title of this thread should be "Does your husband feed the woodstove" :) In this house the answer would be no.

Shari

Does he help with any of it? I have a friend and she runs a wood burning furnace in her basement by her self and she cant be 100lbs Not sure I could keep up with her?

My wife helps and enjoys splitting, loading, stacking, and feeding the wood stove. The only thing she is not comfortable with is the cutting. She grew up with wood heat and was one of the main reasons why I took up the cause when LP went nuts.

No...the few times that she did try to feed the stove when I wasn't around she smoked the house up! I watched her "reload", and instead of just setting the new log on top of the coals she just pushed everything back like a snowplow! She says that she'll never load it again, despite me telling her that she is very close to doing it right!

"Feeding the stove" eh? So that's what the kids are calling it these days...

My wife "feeds the baby" all day while I am at work. I fire it up @6am when i get up and reload @ 8:15 when I go to work. It is 17 degrees today and extremely windy. She is a little irritated that she can only get the house temp to 69. The EQ is at 425. I will torch it up when I get home. She is baking today, so she says it is helping keep the temp up.

My wife will feed the stove if it's almost out and I'm not going to be home soon.

My wife will load the stove to keep warm and on occasion she will help with the splitting and stacking, providing that spider-season is over!

During daylight hours she will, but she won't get up in the middle of the night. THat duty is all mine

i get up at 0430 and load it, she gets up at 0700 and feeds the stove, then again at 0845 and goes to work. she tends it all day (after she gets home about 1 pm) while i am at work. I am allowed to take over at at about 1830 when i get home from work. Usually by that time the house is about 72 or 73 deg. my wife rocks when it comes to the stove!

After I loaded the stove this morning I looked at how much wood there was left inside and contemplated whether or not it would do her or if I should bring in an armload. I decided not to and when I came home, I found the house at 74F and an armload missing from the woodshed. This is the second time in many years that she brought wood in from the shed. I guess she's a keeper.

What's a wife?????? Maybe I need one of those !!!

:p

In all honesty, the SO suprised me one morning last week. He stood in the den with 2 splits in his hands, and called out "okay, how do you work this thing?". Of course, I proceeded to give him a very elementary education :) One must support and encourage this kind of thing !!

Coulda dropped me on the spot !!

Status
Not open for further replies.