DOH. reminder that it's just a Lawn Mower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
X3 on the wrong color.

New stuff is cool but sometimes it is fun to get the job done old school. :coolsmile:

Step up to a true garden tractor like my old Case Ingersoll 448 all dressed up for winter use. I have pulled a heavy 24' enclosed car trailer around and put a 3000lb speed boat down a steep boat ramp with one of these. You do need a 250lb brother in law on the hood for ballast in those situations though. :)

I have used these since I was a kid and they are tough, tough. High boy 30" rear tires and more attachments than you can imagine. I keep the bigger hardware at the farm but these are compact and nice to have around the house in town year round where storage is limited.

When I get my portable wood bunks built this will be pulling them around. I plan on running a small log splitter with it eventually too.

MVC-001S.jpg

Danno77 said:
I pulled that load with the Deere (LX188 btw) just fine when i was on flat ground or the street. When I got to the hill in the back yard I couldn't pull it up the hill. There just wasn't the traction there. I ripped the yard up. The fact that I made it back up the street in front of the house was proof that it wasn't necessarily the weight causing the problem, but the traction of the mower (rear slope in grass is same as front slope of street). Like I said, MAYBE loading that stuff forward on the trailer would have set some more of the weight over the mowers drive wheels.

I want a new (to me) Deere, but I can't afford anything that is better than this LX188, lol. I really think my next setup will be the lowest model Hyrdrostatic Deere mower, and a Vintage Garden Tractor of some sort for the grunt work. My dream Garden Tractor is something like a Deere 110 that has a blown engine so I can add one of those cheap Chinese diesel motors in it.

Gotta ask. Why not just toss the wood into the back of the pickup truck?

Yup, It's the color.
0612101239a.jpg

Chargerman, I just have to say it.... "TRUCKS are red. TRACTORS are green." I'll buy just about anything except a CASE, lol. In all seriousness, though. I am extremely partial to old craftsman equipment as well as John Deere. I would never rule out any solid old garden tractor, though as long as the price is right.

If I lived back on the farm, none of this would be an issue. Especially if I lived near Dad. he's got more equipment than any one person should have. Mom is excited because he says the Tucker will get a plow on it before the first big snow. We'll see about that. I think I need the Tucker out at the timber.

Just measured over lunch. came in at just under 1/4th of a cord. That makes sense, because I remember thinking that a full cord could be somewhere in the vicinity of 6K lbs when green.

The little Honda Harmony 2013 I inherited probably could do no better.
It's a riding mower and that's all it is designed to be.

I hooked a utility cart to it once and threw some rocks in it to dump over a cliff.
Backed down the hill to the cliff and the hydro couldn't stand the weight and incline - almost pulled me over the cliff.

I can see why some mechanics will claim snow plows on little riding mowers is what ruins the mowers. Slamming into piles just can't be very good on them.

My Husqvarna rider isn't much better. Cuts the lawn nice though. Like riding a vacuum cleaner. :)

I like 4WD on hills . Especially steep ones.

billb3 said:
The little Honda Harmony 2013 I inherited probably could do no better.
hadn't ever even heard of one of these. Just googled it and now I know what they look like. thanks for promoting a learning experience.

They say you learn something new every day. WELL, I'm done for the day, then, and I can go home and take a nap...

Danno77 said:
..thanks for promoting a learning experience...
Just reread that and felt that it sounds sarcastic. I was being serious, though, so thought I'd indicate that.

Danno77 said:
Chargerman, I just have to say it.... "TRUCKS are red. TRACTORS are green." I'll buy just about anything except a CASE, lol.

LOL.

Wanna have a pull off your green one, my red one? ;-)

As far as older lawn tractors go I think the old 318 Deeres are pretty good too.

I just learned this spring that riding mowers, lawn tractors, and garden tractors are very different machines.

Flatbedford said:
I just learned this spring that riding mowers, lawn tractors, and garden tractors are very different machines.
yes they are.

Chargerman said:
two answers:
1. Um, no, but I will challenge you to a "mow off"
2. Do I get to pick my "green one"? 'Cause I'd choose this one:
image.php

The LX188 is a lawn tractor (not garden tractor) and has a rather light duty transaxle in it for hauling that type of a load up hill. The wheels slipping is probably what saved you from doing any damage. If you keep an eye out for an old John Deere 318 on craigslist you can sometimes find them for $500 - $1,000. You would pull that load like it wasn't even there with a work horse like the 318.

Here is my X500 hauling a load of green red oak. My son was helping with his tractor too.

027bfc5c.gif

Flatbedford said:

Yes, technically the JD 318 is a "garden" tractor as well. Most people throw the terms around pretty loosely it seems.

My old Case 448 isn't the fastest mower by any stretch but it will run a 60" deck. Regardless, most of the older garden tractors were overbuilt and made to last. Compared to some of the "new" box store stuff they might be a better choice if using them for more than just mowing.

Danno77 said:
Chargerman said:
two answers:
1. Um, no, but I will challenge you to a "mow off"
2. Do I get to pick my "green one"? 'Cause I'd choose this one:
image.php

I am not seeing the pic for some reason. What is it?

John Deere B

Attachments

• P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 229
A Johnny popper!

Is that yours? We have a 1941 JD B at the farm but it hasn't run in years.

We do have a JD 50 which is a little newer that still gets used from time to time.

BTW: That is not a "garden" tractor. :lol: The JD G was the "big" tractor to have back then followed by the smaller JD A. I don't follow the Deeres real close but there was a smaller tractor...maybe the "R" or was it "U".

Chargerman said:
A Johnny popper!

We do have a JD 50 which is a little newer that still gets used from time to time.

BTW: That is not a "garden" tractor. :lol: The JD G was the "big" tractor to have back then followed by the smaller JD A. I don't follow the Deeres real close but there was a smaller tractor...maybe the "R" or was it "U".
Yep, that's my B. Smaller than the A. What I'd really like is an L / LA, google that for fun. It's more the size to keep here in town. The B lives on my parent's farm.

Danno77 said:
Chargerman said:
A Johnny popper!

Yep, that's my B. Smaller than the A. What I'd really like is an L / LA, google that for fun. It's more the size to keep here in town. The B lives on my parent's farm.

OK, how about your JD B against our old 1570 Case. It is turned up to 210hp but I would consider taking the duals off to make it more even. :)

It looks just like this one:

1570Case.jpg

Just joking around about the pull off stuff. Seriously, if you find a good deal on a Case or Ingersoll like my 448 you could always paint it green.

Guys, don't go beat'in on your lawn mowers. There is a BIG difference between a lawn mower and garden tractor. Just compare the rearend from one to the other. Lawn mowers don't have the bearings or gear strength that the tractors do. It may have plenty of power, but most of that power was designed to run a mowing deck, not a traction engine. Garden tractors were kind of the opposite. I'm not saying not to use them, but PLEASE be reasonable for your own sake, unless of course you like costly repairs.

A $500 old John Deere, or Simplicity/Allis Chalmers (my favorite hydro) and several other old school brands are just waiting to be beatin'...and they LIKE it.

That being said, there ain't nothing like a bullet proof hydrostatic Simplicity/Allis Chalmers for a traction engine.

Attachments

• 100_1539sm.jpg
    100_1539sm.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 184
Yes, we really pulled that Rover with the Craftsman. Pulls anything I attach it to. Salesman tried to sell me wheel weights.. I told him to look at me and then tell me I really need wheel weights.. ;)
index.php

Attachments

• 6640_246700990006_728120006_8060812_552169_n.jpg
    6640_246700990006_728120006_8060812_552169_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 225
Mine tows everything! Did I mention my basement is exposed and it had to make it up a difference of 9 feet in a 25 ft span?

Attachments

• Towtractor.jpg
    Towtractor.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 188
  • pullingsmall.jpg
    pullingsmall.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 173
Mine doesn't have enough torque to spin the wheels but does OK on level ground.

100_0181.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.