Donor update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

First of all weather permitting This Saturday looks like I can help out fellow member Cath with the installation

She lives in south shore area of MA.. Good news I was able to secure an account with the local chimney distributor, to purchase the liner. Savings to be passed on to Cath.

I spoke to Keyman last night. Harley got you e-mail.. I will send you keyman's cell number . Steve bass want to join? If all goes well a few hours it will be fired..

Sam Adams has been the favorite in the past. GVA are you too busy packing? Craig you are welcome.. I'll bring to cider and pastries (Inside joke to web and mrs web)

sure!! i'll be glad to help just shoot me the details on where you'd like to meet & what time

i'd love to learn how to install a liner

Elk,
I just PM'ed you to clarify my location. Also, please let me know approximately what time.
Thanks, ~Cath

I don't care what anybody says - you guys are the best! Please take lots of pictures and I'll pray it all goes without a hitch.

I got the liner kit in the truck Thought I should check out one of our member's products so I purchased Magna flex liner kit

I will not post what wholesale prices are but will pass it on the Cath.

I plan to meet here at my home around 930 Saturday Or the center like we met before and go from there to Cath's home.

Cath wants to know if we were kidding about the Cider Craig

BTW I have 2 UL approved and listed stove from the 80's in real good condition looking to find a worthy home

goose how will that stove vented back then a 90 up your existing chimney? Can you snap and post a picture of the setup so I familiar with it

I have a stainless steel tee here wondering it it would be useful

please pm me your address Elk and i'll be there at 9:00 saturday morning

Stevebass4 said:
please pm me your address Elk and i'll be there at 9:00 saturday morning

check your PM I'm going to send it next

I talked to Cath's husband on the phone today looks like the ducks are all lined up for a successfully installation

Cath do you have a copy of the owner's manual? I might want to remove the cat combustor and clean it out

do you have a shop Vac? If not I can bring one I just want to know what to bring

Keyman bring your safety strap to secure yourself to the chimney while feeding the liner down

Ok who is going to take pictures or a video?

elkimmeg said:
goose how will that stove vented back then a 90 up your existing chimney? Can you snap and post a picture of the setup so I familiar with it

I have a stainless steel tee here wondering it it would be useful

I posted several pics a while back, here are some photobucket links that should help refresh your memory:

Old stove from above

Disconnecting the old stove

The hearth without the stove - see liner hanging down

The Tee that is currently on the liner is in pretty rough shape, but I already have a new SS tee that I purchased this summer waiting to replace it. You remember my plan correctly to exit out the back of the stove into the tee and go up from there. Given the setup, I think it's the only thing I can do... I hope the new stove has a 6" round collar on it? Otherwise I will need to get one. At least since the stove is going up against the chimney it is essentially non-combustible so clearances on the back and sides aren't an issue. I just glued down the slates of my 18" hearth extension this afternoon, looks great. All I need to do now to finish the hearth is to grout everything, but I can burn the way it is once I get my inspection (the slate is on top of Durock and aluminum flashing) The extension plus the existing hearth should give me a total between 24 and 30" of clearance in front of the loading door.

In terms of how I get the stove into the house, this shot (the beehive isn't there any longer BTW) shows the ramps that I used getting the old stove out, if I back the van up to the door, then the ramps should give me a gentler angle and a straight shot into the house. The hearth is right around the corner from that door, so it should be no problem.

The only thing that is a concern for me right now is how the exact height of the liner and T exit will line up with the stove. If it hangs down to low, I'll have to either figure out how to get up to the top of the chimney myself, or call our sweep to help figure out how to pull the liner up a bit (alternatively, is a non-combustible prop under the tee cap in order to push the liner up a code legal solution?) Everything else looks like a real straightforward operation with the hardest part being to get back behind the stove to screw everything together.

Sorry I won't be able to help out with Cathy's install on Saturday, but I have prior commitments for that date. If it gets rained out, or you have to postpone for any other reason, let me know as I should be free on Sunday.

Gooserider

see you guys in the morning!

I'm in charlotte, NC till saturday night...... :mad:
Sorry, but good luck to ...................Y'alll :shut: DOH it's happening I'm turning into a redneck.......

GVA said:
I'm in charlotte, NC till saturday night...... :mad:
Sorry, but good luck to ...................Y'alll :shut: DOH it's happening I'm turning into a redneck.......

If your father walked you to school, because you were in the same grade. You might be a redneck.

well the roster has been completed Keyman will be joining us.. Sox won good omens ahead.

This is what we have been waiting for I hope those frostys are blue

Well I grouted my slates this evening - first time, but I think it turned out well other than trying to get the haze off - you wash, it looks great, it dries and the haze is still there.... Repeat....

I also verified that my replacement SS Tee will fit onto my liner adapter. No problem with the fit onto the liner, but the bottom "cap" leg is much longer than one I'm replacing. I may bring it with me when I get the stove Elk, and talk about swapping if the one you have is shorter. It won't change the way the stove fits, but it was already a bear to get my cleaner brush around the bend to go up the liner with the old tee, this will make the bend tighter.

I'll bring them both so you can see the difference. Also we may need to crimp the end of the tee that goes into the stove - I don't have a pair of crimp pliers.

Gooserider

paging elk!!

can't find your address in my gps / mapquest

can someone please call me at 508 369 2630 with Elks contact info

what a great day!! very cool to meet all you guys and it was fun working with Elk and Craig and Cathy

hope you guys enjoyed your first fire :)

I wasn't able to make it to help w/ Cathy's install, unfortuneately we had a prior commitment for Saturday. However on Sunday, Mary-anne and I made the trek to Elk's house and finally picked up the Encore that he had gotten for us. Elk and I got it into our mini-van w/ the help of his backhoe, no big problems. We set it on a small chunk of plywood which was a great help in moving it. The stove is in great shape except for a couple of minor problems - I need to replace the gasket on the Damper door, and it came with the 8" oval flue collar, I need the 6" round collar.

When we got it home, we were able to ramp it directly out of the back of the van into the house, using a come-along and some 1/2" pipe rollers. We then rolled it into the living room and got it positioned in front of the hearth. I pried up each end of the plywood the stove was on and got a couple of 2x4's under each side so that the plywood was level w/ the raised part of the hearth, put a board under each pair of legs, and used the pipe rollers to get the stove onto the hearth.

Now I just need to track down the flue connector and some gasketting, then I can get the stove hooked up, inspected, and start burning... Hope it happens soon, as I had to fire off the dreaded Gas Furnace this evening as the house was down to 64*

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.