Don't know if anyone has read this before...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodhran

Burning Hunk
Feb 7, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
Son in law's strange obsession is causing problems. What to do?

My son in law is absolutely obsessed with firewood. To the point that he's making an embarrassment of himself. A few examples: - My daughter confided in me that he's not performing in the bedroom because he "doesn't want to injure" himself in any way because he "wouldn't be able to cut a truckload of firewood."

- For my birthday, my daughter and son in law took me on a drive to the old family farm I grew up on, which is now abandoned. During the ENTIRE trip, my son in law talked CONSTANTLY about firewood, and as we walked about the old property, he asked me seven times who now owns the farm because "there is so much wood here that could be cut." As we drove to and from, he kept talking about fallen trees along the road and how he wished he had his chain saw with him to cut a truckload of firewood."

- My daughter had what is called a "pampered chef" party and as my son in law would let the guests in the front door, he would introduce himself and then ask how they heat their homes and if they said "natural gas" or "electric" he would give a 2 minute talk about burning firewood.

- When my daughter and son in law hosted the family reunion in October, he made all of us walk to his woodshed. He has enough firewood in there to last for 20 years, but said he had to get more because "next winter is coming, too."

- My daughter and son in law used to be very important members of the community, attending town council meetings, and my son in law was a member of my lodge. They have had to stop so my son in law has more time to cut firewood.

- They had a beautiful rec-room in their basement, but my son in law cleared it out so he could stack firewood in it floor to ceiling. This is a 12 X 12 room with an eight-foot ceiling.

- Finally, he skipped his daughter's birthday party because he saw an add in the newspaper for free firewood an hour and a half from their home. He loaded his truck down so badly that it broke the axle and actually rented a U-Haul truck to get the firewood back to their home.

He is becoming an absolute embarrassment to the family and the community. They heat their home with a coal and wood furnace and a natural gas furnace. I haven't had a chance to talk this over with him because every time I visit, he's either gone (off cutting a truckload of firewood) or he's out in the back yard splitting it and putting it in the woodshed, which now stretches the entire length of their acre-long property, and he's even talking about adding a second floor!

What can we do to curb this obsession with firewood?

Hahaha, were is this from. Rings pretty true to me except for the second one. I never encourage people to start burning with firewood. Then there wouldn't be enough left for me!

Sounds like the man has found his passion. Maybe he should build an open-sided pole barn, stock it and start selling firewood?

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Hahaha, were is this from. Rings pretty true to me except for the second one. I never encourage people to start burning with firewood. Then there wouldn't be enough left for me!
It was on Yahoo questions and answers.

Isn't that normal? I had an obsession similar to that. Not quite as extreme though. Busted butt for 1 whole year to hit the almighty "3 year plan"! Didn't have issues in the bedroom:cool: or skip any birthdays, but wished I had my chainsaw many times. I think we can all relate to some extent.

There is nothing that can be done to stop the train wreck. It's like Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Bon Scott etc.; you know they are going down the path of insanity but there's not a darn thing you can do to stop it!

Dang bodhran, that one hits a lil close to home...;em :p ::-)

Bogus. If he was truly obsessed, he would have a lot more than 20 cords by now. And he wouldn't be trying to get others started in wood heat; It would cut down on his potential scoring possibilities.;lol

Hmm...sounds a bit comical, almost like a script from Saturday Night Live...;hm

Reactions: Jeffm1
It's an old email thread that has been around many times.

Reactions: DUMF
It definitely bogus.
It's well known that cutting and chopping firewood increases your libido and that those who engage in such activity are known for their sexual prowess and exceptional performances in the bedroom arena, and the reason why woman are so attracted to lumberjacks.
No doubt that BS story was created and published by some wimpy, impotent little bureaucrat from the oil and gas industry as some sort of anti wood heating propaganda.

It definitely bogus.
It's well known that cutting and chopping firewood increases your libido and that those who engage in such activity are known for their sexual prowess and exceptional performances in the bedroom arena, and the reason why woman are so attracted to lumberjacks.
No doubt that BS story was created and published by some wimpy, impotent little bureaucrat from the oil and gas industry as some sort of anti wood heating propaganda
What he said ,I think, maybe
well OK

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
Been a long time since I saw that one in circulation. Got an email link to it or something similar years ago, posted on The Onion website.

It definitely bogus.
No doubt that BS story was created and published by some wimpy, impotent little bureaucrat from the oil and gas industry as some sort of anti wood heating propaganda.

That's good. Real good. I'm tellin the wife that. I'm gonna say. I heard it from experts!

It's comforting to know that there's someone worse than me...

Son in law's strange obsession is causing problems. What to do?

My son in law is absolutely obsessed with firewood. To the point that he's making an embarrassment of himself. A few examples: - My daughter confided in me that he's not performing in the bedroom because he "doesn't want to injure" himself in any way because he "wouldn't be able to cut a truckload of firewood."

- For my birthday, my daughter and son in law took me on a drive to the old family farm I grew up on, which is now abandoned. During the ENTIRE trip, my son in law talked CONSTANTLY about firewood, and as we walked about the old property, he asked me seven times who now owns the farm because "there is so much wood here that could be cut." As we drove to and from, he kept talking about fallen trees along the road and how he wished he had his chain saw with him to cut a truckload of firewood."

- My daughter had what is called a "pampered chef" party and as my son in law would let the guests in the front door, he would introduce himself and then ask how they heat their homes and if they said "natural gas" or "electric" he would give a 2 minute talk about burning firewood.

- When my daughter and son in law hosted the family reunion in October, he made all of us walk to his woodshed. He has enough firewood in there to last for 20 years, but said he had to get more because "next winter is coming, too."

- My daughter and son in law used to be very important members of the community, attending town council meetings, and my son in law was a member of my lodge. They have had to stop so my son in law has more time to cut firewood.

- They had a beautiful rec-room in their basement, but my son in law cleared it out so he could stack firewood in it floor to ceiling. This is a 12 X 12 room with an eight-foot ceiling.

- Finally, he skipped his daughter's birthday party because he saw an add in the newspaper for free firewood an hour and a half from their home. He loaded his truck down so badly that it broke the axle and actually rented a U-Haul truck to get the firewood back to their home.

He is becoming an absolute embarrassment to the family and the community. They heat their home with a coal and wood furnace and a natural gas furnace. I haven't had a chance to talk this over with him because every time I visit, he's either gone (off cutting a truckload of firewood) or he's out in the back yard splitting it and putting it in the woodshed, which now stretches the entire length of their acre-long property, and he's even talking about adding a second floor!

What can we do to curb this obsession with firewood?
He sounds absolutely normal to me.

He sounds absolutely normal to me.

LOL.jpg

It definitely bogus.
Lol, yeah. Like this video, but it sure will make everyone here bust a gut! I am sure we can all identify to a certain degree. Remember, the first step to recovery is admitting the problem

Cow poop patties sell like hot cakes on eBay in India. Such is our modern world.

Status
Not open for further replies.