Don't You Just Hate It When ______________?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A fine quote... having to find other ways to keep warm. Thankfully I discovered "good wood". I guess I should have been more concerned about our cats coming to get warm in our bed, and the preggers idea. Hm, not sure how that works scientifically...

quads said:
The old-timers used to say that burning cottonwood causes pregnancy. Presumably because you had to find other ways to keep warm.
:)
drhiii said:
... you cut and burn Cottonwood because it is plentiful, and you think this is a good deal...

Truth is, it ain't. Acquired some oak and a little fir today. The difference in all aspects of the wood, from burn intensity (I am using 1/3rd the amount), ash (I was cleaning the firebox every two days, argh!), smell (Cottonwood stinks), cleanup (because of the constant management, I was creating a mess every time I was having to deal with any aspect of this wood.... the difference is night and day. I have had to damper the stove all the way down and it is keeping this 1600ft home more than toasty. It gets hot in here. What a difference wood makes.... and hey, I had to learn the hard way. Just because something is plentiful doesn't mean it is worth it. What is worth it is having the right stove, ventilation, wood, and a few other things. I am amazed at the heat output from far less wood, this 1907 Vitorian home that is reasonably insulated, but it ain't perfect.

....... when that 12 pack of beer sitting in the back of the truck is frozen after you are done splitting and want to enjoy.

... when you log onto hearthnet and there are more new posts than you can possibly read before next winter.
... when a post has no paragraph boundaries and fills the entire screen.
... when a poster's writing style seems to be wagging their finger in someone's face... and that someone seems to be you.
... when you have provided a Pulitzer worthy rebuttal and the know-it-all, verbal pablum just keeps coming back at you.

Mo Heat said:
... when you log onto hearthnet and there are more new posts than you can possibly read before next winter.
... when a post has no paragraph boundaries and fills the entire screen.
... when a poster's writing style seems to be wagging their finger in someone's face... and that someone seems to be you.
... when you have provided a Pulitzer worthy rebuttal and the know-it-all, verbal pablum just keeps coming back at you.
<Head bobbing........>
YEP,
YEP,
YEP,
YEP.

Don't I just hate it when I've got this great new wood stove and I'm such a %#*@! newbie that I suck at getting it to match my probably unrealistic expectations.

(Thanks for the frustration outlet.)

......You decide to add some wood, but first you decide to stir the coals around.

Confident in your skills and your dry wood doing the job, you then go outside for a while. :roll:

An hour later you come in and notice your stove is dark inside, the house is getting cold..........you stirred too much @!.. :ahhh:

Robbie

Your in a hurry to get to work but you need wood in the house. You only have slippers on and its snowing out, running back to the house with an arm load of wood you slip and fall down the celler stairs with the wood and land at the bottom...

... You're flailing away at your wedge that's stuck in a tuff piece of wood using your 3.5lb hand sledge, you miss the wedge, the hammer flies out of your hand, and hits you on the foot, somehow missing your steel toe by about two inches.

Mo Heat said:
... You're flailing away at your wedge that's stuck in a tuff piece of wood using your 3.5lb hand sledge, you miss the wedge, the hammer flies out of your hand, and hits you on the foot, somehow missing your steel toe by about two inches.
Anything brake?

dont you hate it when you are a stove technician in a call center talking to a diy yayhoo who is complining about a stove that "dont draw" when he has single wall pipe out the top of the stove piped out a window on the ground floor of a 2 story house with no chimney (i have pictures somewhere at the office ) and you look down at your phone and it doesnt have a "slap" button.

stoveguy2esw said:
dont you hate it when you are a stove technician in a call center talking to a diy yayhoo who is complining about a stove that "dont draw" when he has single wall pipe out the top of the stove piped out a window on the ground floor of a 2 story house with no chimney (i have pictures somewhere at the office ) and you look down at your phone and it doesnt have a "slap" button.

Easy one. Press the hold button and yell "Scott! Line six is for you."

funny! , actually i dont gotta yell , scott sits right next to me, i gotta be careful with who i give to him though , he was an army ranger and basic training drill instructor before he came to work for me. he may leave the poor customer in tears (chuckle)

stoveguy2esw said:
funny! , actually i dont gotta yell , scott sits right next to me, i gotta be careful with who i give to him though , he was an army ranger and basic training drill instructor before he came to work for me. he may leave the poor customer in tears (chuckle)

Tell him old ex Sgt. BB says RLTW. He'll understand.

Night stalkers don't quit.

Don't ya hate it when you are on a 45 day field problem and on day 2 one of the cooks refills his Kerosun heater with MoGas (gasoline for you non vets) at 3 in the morning and you spend the rest of the night pulling burning bodies out of a tent.

earthharvester said:
Anything brake?

Luckily, nothing broke. It was essentially a glancing blow (not glancing enough), but it hurt like hell. The impact ripped a one inch slit into the steel toed, rubber boots just behind the bend of my toes. Been meaning to get another pair at the evil Walmart store but keep forgetting. Every time I wade through something or use the chainsaw I forget about the slit and something cold or funky gradually accumulates inside before I realize it, ruining yet another white tube sock.

getting home from vacation
getting home from vacation the wood stoves out, stone cold
getting home from vacation at 10PM, inside its 49 outside, its 29 and dropping fast
getting home from vacation your daughter was burned all the wood stacked at the back door
getting home from vacation you forget everything about staring a fast hot fire
getting home from vacation your wife heads straight to the gas furnace thermostat
getting home from vacation the cats want to sleep on your (there) bed at night

"getting home from vacation you forget everything about staring a fast hot fire "

Oh yes. Yes. Happens every darn time. Nothing will get that stove going.

Good one.

you make a friendly wager for $5 worth of beer, lose the bet and it takes $15 to ship it there.

bruce56bb said:
you make a friendly wager for $5 worth of beer, lose the bet and it takes $15 to ship it there.

;-) Thanks again buddy , your the man !

Did I not hear about said wager?

Oh and I've got one:

Don't you hate it when you can run the stove you designed with a minimal amount of effort with either wood or coal and maintain the house at 70 degrees and achieve overnight burns, but your parents can't manage a fire in the stove without 2-5 phone calls per night.

Status
Not open for further replies.