Don't You Just Hate It When ______________?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
OK Lets try this thread, Don't you just hate it when_______

I'll start Don't You Just Hate It When Your Loading the firebox for a long fire and that stupid round you either were too lazy to split or couldn't ( cause its only like an inch in diameter) just keeps rolling around to screw up the load? Sometimes its already on fire, Wheres the Gloves???

Don't you just hate it when............. you see a nice pile of wood by the road being scrounged and you can't stop because there is something else TOO important to do.

Don’t You Just Hate It When your scooping the ash out of the stove and being so carefull and on the last scoop you hit the side of the door coming out and get ash all over. :coolgrin:

Don’t You Just Hate It When you make a funny comment on the forum and brother bart has to come along and top it. %-P

Don’t You Just Hate It When you spend 10 minutes typing a reply and when you hit submit it disappears. :grrr:

Don’t You Just Hate It When your cutting wood with your buddy and you notice your cutting all the limbs and hauling them off and he is cutting the easy parts. :mad:

When you are working with another guy and you hear his say Oh!! Shi*
When you just over paid for a PE when you realized the Englander does the same job for $1500 less

elkimmeg said:
When you are working with another guy and you hear his say Oh!! Shi*
When you just over paid for a PE when you realized the Englander does the same job for $1500 less

%-P your fired. :lol:

Don’t you just hate it when_______ the wood pile you were looking forward to using is covered in Poisen Ivy. (refers to a current thread elswhere)

....When Hot coal rolls out of the front of the stove
.... You've been looking forward to burning 2 cords of white oak that's been split for over a year only to find that it still isn't seasoned enough
... you get 2 cords of free wood, only to discover it's all pine.
(but then doen't ya love if when you decide to give some away and meet a couple of really good guys from hearthnet?)

....When rhonemas posts...cause then you have to read the novel everytime...and he's usually right, so it's worth reading :)

Dont you just hate it when......you are having a "discussion" with your wife/husband and realize that whatever answer you are gonna give will be the "wrong" one"?

You log in to post that picture of the four cords of wood you have spent every spare minute scrounging, cutting, splitting and stacking for months. Only to discover that five minutes earlier Eric Johnson has posted the latest picture of his wood pile.

Don't you hate it when your cord of wood that you got free and were so proud of scrounging, come along with free poison ivy as well, unbeknownst to you..... at the time anyway. And to think, you asked about that fuzzy vine on the wood.....

And don't you hate it when, you help to unload it, stack it for splitting then haul it out back to be stacked after it is split.

Don't you hate it when you are extremely allergic to posion ivy.

Don't you hate it when, you think you have hives the next morning on your lips which look like a botox injection gone wrong by the time you get to the doctor. And worse, you continue to get these 'hives' all morning waiting for said doctor appointment. And worse, you are convinved that you do not have hives and start to investigate the vine that you questioned the tree guy about that was on your new free wood. And worse, you sit in shock as you look at picture after picture of poison ivy vines on trees on your computer screen realizing that you are in for one heck of a playdate with PI.

Don't you hate it when you are on prednisone for a week for your poison ivy, you return to the doctor and a week later and your whole body is pretty much covered with poison ivy, cept for that right leg there for some reason or other; there isn't many an area on your body that isn't inflamed, swollen and itchy including around your eyes, in your ears, scalp and every where else, cept for that one right leg.

Don't you hate it when the doctor comments as he checks you out that second visit "Well, you aren't the worst case of poison ivy I've seen, but you are the worst after almost a full course of prednisone".

Don't you hate it when you are on 60 mg of prednisone for 25 days to control poison ivy, you bloat up like a balloon, want to kill someone from the nasty steriods and STILL have spots of PI appearing almost daily.

Isn't my friend the tree guy so glad that he won't see me till sometime next year....... won't he get an earful!

Don't you hate all the stuff you learn the hardway once you become a homeowner???

_______________when it's day 367 and your 1 yr. warranty has just expired and the control screen emits a tiny poof of smoke, then goes blank?

____________when a week after the elections, there is no concern about addressing the real issues, yet all the news is about who's running in 2008 on the same old crap platform !!?

Don't ya just hate it when the residual ashes that fell out your side door and front door, for you were too Lazzzzzy to scoop up, the cat uses as a litter box. then the cat does not like ashes on their paws and proceeds to wipe it all over the egg-shell walls that where recently painted. Happened twice this week and now I have learned my lesson.

WHEN...Wifey decides to hang them stupid stockings on the mantle, and NOW I'm the bad guy for telling her shes playing russian roullete cause if one falls on the stove, were toast, so she takes them down, puts them window decals on the mirror over the stove, and the heat curls the edges and they plop on the stove, melted decal, thank god I was right there, and now bad guy again, then comes the remarks.... stupid stove why aint we just using the .....ing fireplace????
Dont you just darn hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you come home from work when your in-laws are visting and your father in law tells you that putting soaking wet logs in your stove made it burn a whole lot longer.

Told this story last year. Gave them my credit card, sent them to a nice dinner and as soon as the car left the driveway I headed to the roof with the brush. It was an unbelievable mess in that clay tile flue.

this is off your topic, and I appologize....however I am a new home owner and have had nothing but wood burning fireplaces in the past and am encountering for the first time an enclosed gas fireplace manufactured by superior. I can't figure out how to get the darn thing to light. I think I'm trying everything correctly but need someone with some experience. I turned the main gas knob to the right of the fireplace fully on, made sure the wall switch was in the off position and turned the gas flow knob on behind the lower grill of the fireplace then I left the pilot knob off for about 5 min then turned it to pilot and pressed the red ignitor knob and nothing....the gas line into the house for the fireplace is on, the main gas is on, the gas flow knob is on and the pilot knob is turned to pilot....what am I doing wrong? do I have a bad ignitor button...someone please help!!

when you take your dog out to poop and it becomes camouflaged on the ground so that you can't find it and scoop it up. finally you give up and realize the reason you couldn't locate the poop is because you were standing in it and then tracked it all over your house!

... you cut and burn Cottonwood because it is plentiful, and you think this is a good deal...

Truth is, it ain't. Acquired some oak and a little fir today. The difference in all aspects of the wood, from burn intensity (I am using 1/3rd the amount), ash (I was cleaning the firebox every two days, argh!), smell (Cottonwood stinks), cleanup (because of the constant management, I was creating a mess every time I was having to deal with any aspect of this wood.... the difference is night and day. I have had to damper the stove all the way down and it is keeping this 1600ft home more than toasty. It gets hot in here. What a difference wood makes.... and hey, I had to learn the hard way. Just because something is plentiful doesn't mean it is worth it. What is worth it is having the right stove, ventilation, wood, and a few other things. I am amazed at the heat output from far less wood, this 1907 Vitorian home that is reasonably insulated, but it ain't perfect.

drhiii said:
... you cut and burn Cottonwood because it is plentiful, and you think this is a good deal...

Truth is, it ain't. Acquired some oak and a little fir today. The difference in all aspects of the wood, from burn intensity (I am using 1/3rd the amount), ash (I was cleaning the firebox every two days, argh!), smell (Cottonwood stinks), cleanup (because of the constant management, I was creating a mess every time I was having to deal with any aspect of this wood.... the difference is night and day. I have had to damper the stove all the way down and it is keeping this 1600ft home more than toasty. It gets hot in here. What a difference wood makes.... and hey, I had to learn the hard way. Just because something is plentiful doesn't mean it is worth it. What is worth it is having the right stove, ventilation, wood, and a few other things. I am amazed at the heat output from far less wood, this 1907 Vitorian home that is reasonably insulated, but it ain't perfect.

Yeah, but keep that cottonwood dry. In April when the wood starts running low the furniture even starts to look like a good burning possiblity.

The old-timers used to say that burning cottonwood causes pregnancy. Presumably because you had to find other ways to keep warm.
:)
drhiii said:

hate it when ____________ your not home. The person taking care of your coal furnace lets it go mostly out, then to "save it" they just throw lots of shovels full of new coal on top.
Now we not only have to get rid of the half burned coal but hand pick out all the large new unburned coal that won't fall through the grates.

Status
Not open for further replies.